Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Canfield « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   

Hey, Mike, I was looking at the stats for Canfield and noticed that you've played this a lot. I assume that you play with the 3-card at a time option. It seems kind of unfair to lump in both the stats for the 3-card and the 1-card at a time option together. With the 1-card at a time option I have yet to lose, but no such luck with the 3-card at a time option. Maybe in future releases of PGS, Thomas will separate these two variations of the game out. Ken

P.S. Thanks for the biking picture. It gets me motivated to do more biking and playing PGS less. (Sorry, Thomas!)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Hi Ken. I will have some more biking pics soon. Lots of bike traffic along the highway. I don't remember which deal option I was using. I have reloaded PGS and don't have any games saved so I will have to go back and see.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:57 am:   

I've been playing with the three card option. I checked.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   

Mike, Just to let you, Richard, and Ken know: I'll be off the board for a couple of months. I'm going home to Iowa to stay with my parents until October. My dad will be 75 next Tuesday. I've been bugging my parents for years to get a computer, but if it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it ever will. Keep Richard in line for me. (Somebody has to!) Ken
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   

Hope all goes well Ken. Keeping Richard in line is impossible. He would just love that challange.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   

Who? Me? What cheek.

I suppose I'll have to say we'll miss you Ken. Haste ye back.
Jayne Subwick (Acanesfan)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Acanesfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:20 am:   

Canfield - games 1, 2, and 3.

I have been playing Canfield for the last couple of years and have won lots of games (I play the 3 card version) and have never been able to win games 1, 2, or 3. Are any of these winnable? Thank you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:40 am:   

I don't know if we're talking about the same deals Jayne but I've won the following ones in Canfiels Deal 3 from the Goodsol 101 collection.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:50 am:   

I should have checked the P.G.S. collection before I made the above post. It appears that they use exactly the same deals as the 101 lot. Therefore the answer to your question is that #1,#2 and #3 are all winnable.
It is frequently just a case of trial and error. When your game grinds to a halt, hit undo and take it back until you reach the last card you accepted. Refuse it this time and see what difference that makes. It is also necessary quite often to take cards back off of the foundations, even the base cards, in order to improve your tableau.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 5:52 am:   

One major rule difference between the two collections is that in the original P.G.S. collection you cannot take a base card back off of the foundations. This makes it MUCH more difficult. I'm struggling to solve #1 using those rules. It MAY be winnable. I'll have to put in a lot more work before I can say for sure.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:41 am:   

OK, whatever collection or whatever rules are used, #2 and #3 are winnable. #1 is refusing to budge meantime. I can post the order in which you should accept cards if you would like Jayne.
I'm particularly fond of Canfield Deal 3 and play it a lot, but some of them are extremely difficult. You do well to win any of them really.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   

#1 is winnable too. It's a complete nightmare and I came close to giving up. I'll take my hat off to anyone who can win it too.
Jayne (Acanesfan)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 12:30 am:   

Now I'm on a mission. No, what did those Blues Brothers call it? Oh, a mission from God. That's it! I'm using version 12.1.0. I can't remove a base card from the foundation, but it shouldn't matter, because one of your posts says that #2, #3, and #4 are winnable no matter which collection is used.
Thanks for the offer of giving me the order in which to post cards, but now that I know it's possible to win those 3 games I'm going back and WILL win them. I'll start with #3 because you said you play it a lot. I'll let you know how I do.
Thanks.
Jayne (Acanesfan)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 12:34 am:   

I stated something incorrectly. I said I can't remove a base card from the foundation. If I hit "undo" I can remove them. What I meant to say was that I can't remove the initial base card from the foundation. But you probably can't in any of the versions.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration