Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Spider 2 suits « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Christopher John (Cjcj1949)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Cjcj1949

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   

Are there any games in the first 1000 that are not winnable?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   

Have you tried #1?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   

#2 takes a bit of winning too, but nothing like as difficult as #1. It wouldn't surprise me if all Spider Two Suits were winnable if you played them for long enough.
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   

I am still trying with number 1 and making progress. I think I've done number 2. How long did it take you to solve #1?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:51 am:   

Hi Chris, I didn't time myself with #1 but it was probably well over half and hour. There was 25 minutes between solving 1 and 2 but I may have made tea in between. I don't know. I'll play a few consecutive games every day and see how many consecutive wins I can manage. I t'll eep me out of mischief.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:07 am:   

Not all Spider Two Suit games are winnable. It is possible to construct unwinnable games in the same way that it can be done in Spider.

However, unwinnable games are rare in Spider and even more rare in Spider Two Suits. It's probably unlikely you'll run across an unwinnable game very often.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   

I've played the first 25 now Chris and 1,18 and 25 were the most akward, but still winnable. I'm not keen on playing another 975 just to answer your question though. If you come across any in the first 1000 you can't win, just post the number and other players will give it a try.
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   

Thanks. I wasn't expecting anyone to play extra games. I thought that they could look at their stats. I've only been playing since August and my runs are improving, Mainly because the help info on spider2 was that about two thirds were winnable and that,s what I achieved for the first hundred or so games. Then I started to improve and had to start my stats from scratch.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   

Hi Chris, I knew you didn't expect anyone to play games to help answer your question, but it makes little difference to me what game I play as long as it's not one of the really simple ones. Spider2 takes a bit of thought, and I like playing it anyway.
Most players just play random games so consulting their stats would not be much help in answering your question.
It would be interesting if you just carried on with the first 1000 to see what happens.
You've done well to win such a decent percentage.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:51 am:   

I'd rate #29 as the hardest of the first thirty. Give yourself a pat on the back if you crack it.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   

These spider2 games can be quite easy, but also very hard. I've just completed 99 after a struggle. So the first 100 are winnable but I still haven't managed number 1. I don't know why most people do random games as any order is as random as any other, so doing games in order gives random games. Just as 123456 is as likely to occur in the lottery as any other.
I did 29 on the first attempt some months ago, beginners luck.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:55 am:   

Here's how I cracked #1. It gave me a lot of bother.
text/plainNice one one won.
Spider Two Suits_1.pgs (4.3 k)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

I've completed number 1. It took 2 hours today and a lot of working out. The first 400 games are solvable. Would it be possible to have an interactive game where other people could watch or be helped. I'm thinking of people who are having problems solving any or a lot of games.
I would like to watch the people at the top of the scoreboards and see how quickly they play.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

In the UK the emergency number is 999. It gave me more trouble than #1.
You're not the first person to be interested in how long games take to solve. Normally I have very little idea, as I frequently break off during games to do other things, and I rarely commit myself completely anyway.
Pitting myself against the clock reminds me too much of exams as school.Not my scene.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   

Thanks for your help. I didn't believe so many were solvable. I'm working my way through the first 1000 and will look forward to number 999.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I WAS working up through the numbers but since you informed me that you'd already won the first 400, I thought I'd work bckwards to same senseless duplication.
Off to bed now. It's 1am.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   

If you are working backwards. How do you use the keyboard. Not the old eyes in the back of the head trick again. I have been playing TI now for how many months and I am just over 800 games. Good luck CJ.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   

I've got a split personality perhaps. Shouldn't you be puting up more Christmas lights anyway Mike?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   

Just added another 1000 today. You reminded me of the space I didn't fill on the garage door.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:38 am:   

Good man! Your wife will be pleased with you. (Almost).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   

Then she will complain about the electric bill. I can't win.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   

Get solar powered ones. They'll look great during the day.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   

We wish you a __________. We wish you a ________
We wish you a __________. And a Happy New Year. Insert your appropriate wishes in blanks.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   

In order that Mike's greeting does not offend any Chinese players, we should point out that he does not necessarily mean in a few days time.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

Whenever you celebrate the New Year have a good time. Even if you can't catch up with the rest of the world. Oops. I am getting too much like
Richard.
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   

Thank you Mike for the good wishes. Luck certainly helps but not as much as undo. I can't believe I wasted so much time playing freecell before I tried spider. I'm getting close to 500, How are you doing Richard, are you still working down?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:00 am:   

Hi Christopher, According to the politically correct brigade, you would now have to be known as Xopher, as these enlightened people believe that the first six letters of your name may be offensive to non Xians. As your middle name is also biblical, you are in a lot of trouble mate. If you're further handicapped by being American, "In X We Trust" is more appropriate.
It's like a script for a comedy, but these people are in earnest. The P.C. brigade can't be described as nutters, lunatics, morons,imbeciles, head-cases,or fruit & nut cases, according to them. But see if you can read between the lines.
Oh what the hell ..... birdbrained, vacuous, witless simpletons is fairly accurate.
Anyway CHRISTOPHER, I assume you're referring to the number of games you've left to play when you mention 500. There are a few players like myself who have played and won almost all of the games in P.G.S. We have practically given up on ever winning the final five. British Canister, Robert, Picture Patience and a couple more. It doesn't matter how many you've played or how many you've won. You obviously enjoy it, and that's all that counts. (Don't wait until 2009 for your next post).
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:11 am:   

No, about 19,000 mainly freecell. I only want an approximation for the success rate in Spider2.

I am not American and certainly not Christian. I don't always enjoy playing, I have bad days when I am too confused to do anything much.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   

Hi Chris, You'll find the official league table for Spider2 at the following link.
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/spi dertwosuits.html?appr1200&info
Many players have a 100% record. In the rules for it you'll see a difficulty rating of 65% which is possibly a little on the low side. A high percentage of them are winnable if you replay them often enough, but that may take a lot of the enjoyment out of it particularly if you're not feeling great.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration