Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:16 am:   

Have I met my (mini) Waterloo? Try #1279574912
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:17 am:   

Watch out for the cavalry. Don't you dare mention tat they were the heavy cavalry.
A very tricky game. I played it VERY slowly and deliberately and fluked a win at the first attempt. I continally refused cards and this was the deciding factor. Getting spaces is crittical so that you can rearrange cards in the tableau. I tried not to clutter it up by accepting anying that would stop me doing so. Having a choice of single card columns is a good tactic.
application/octet-streamNOT the Heavy Mob
Little Napoleon_1279574912_Scots_Greys.pgs (7.4 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 731
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 5:54 am:   

As Jimmy Cagney as George M Cohan said in "Yankee Doodle Dandy": "My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, and I thank you". Happy 4th of July!!!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:48 am:   

Strange how little imporatnce that date has in the minds of most folk outside the USA. This year it has been particularly overshadowed by the TV scheduling for the 20th anniversary of the Piper Alpha Disaster. Nobody in the Aberdeen area will ever forget that day, particularly the families of the 167 men who died. Greed paid a huge part as they wouldn't stop pumping the oil although this platform was ablaze.
Have a great holiday guys.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:38 am:   

It reminds me of that joke: "Is there a 4th of July in Scotland?"
"Why, of course not!"
"Well, yes there is, and a 3rd and a 5th, also!"
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   

Richard, far be it from me to question your strategy (especially since you won this game and I did not), but I'm curious about it. There were a number of times when you deliberately avoided playing a card on the same suit. To what end? For ex., at the beginning of the game, you played the QH on the KS even though both of the KH's were available in the tableau. And you deliberately played the 2C on the 3D even though the 3C was available. Is there a method to your madness?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   

Yes it does seem a bit strange Ken. Obviously I knew that I could move them any time I wanted really. I kept the a couple of threes in the tableau just in case a two turned up that may otherwise have filled a space. My main strategy was just to keep a single card on as many columns as I could, It's pointless getting a space if you have two or more cards face up in a column. They won't move.
The main reason I played some of the moves you mentioned was that I didn't bother reading the rules and found out during play that suit groups could be moved. There would have been very few such mystery moves from then on.
The Lord and Richard move in mysterious ways.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   

"I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   

I have yet to look at Richard's solution to this hand. But I am not getting it so far. I will try some more.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration