Confused!RE: *.pgs format Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Is it winnable » Confused!RE: *.pgs format « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bill Allbritton (Ballbrit)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Ballbrit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:01 am:   

Help Needed! Although I consider myself reasonably computer literate, *.pgs format (in which Spider 2-suit games are saved) is baffling to me. I'm advised it cannot be read. My efforts to find reader program lead nowhere except countless opportunities to buy unwanted, and obviously incorrect reader programs.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:27 am:   

Try the "Is it winnable" section, and look for the "Pictorial Guide" I posted eons ago, if you are just looking for a way to utilise uploaded games.
Bill Allbritton (Ballbrit)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Ballbrit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:44 am:   

I found and read through Pictorial Guide. Although helpful I am only partially on my way to an understanding of *.pgs format. Am I the only person who wonders why the process was made so difficult?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:20 am:   

My understanding of it is that the files just contain a list of the moves you have made in a game if you choose to save it. I don't understand why you would want to "read" the contents. You can open these files and see what's inside, but the contents are of no use to you. If/when you manage to analyse and read them, you will only have reached the stage you'd been at before,when the software read it on your behalf. I don't think I understand what you're trying to do Bill.
The process of uploading and downloading PGS files is childsplay once you've done it a couple of ties. I don't really think that anyone at PGS went out of their way to complicate matters, but Microsoft are constantly changing things and making the process far more difficult. When I first got Vista, I couldn't even FIND the files anymore.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:52 am:   

The .pgs file format is not intended to be readable to humans. It is read by the game. All you need to do with them is create them via the Save command in the Game menu and load them via the Open command. There is nothing to do with them outside the game itself.

The complexities of the Pictorial Guide are caused by the Forum's method of handling attached files, it doesn't actually have anything to do with the particular file format of the .pgs file.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration