Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Klondike 101 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   

Hey, no fair, Richard!!! Knowing that there were only 5 non-winnable games from the first 22, I could have posted those stats, too. I guess with 101 it's going to be a case of who blinks first (or, at least, who posts first!).
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   

Refresh my memory Ken; how did I know that? Anyway Mike has had the audacity to leapfrog me. War has been declared by the look of things. As if we weren't zany/crazy enough. Now we've got this to contend with.
C'est la guerre.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   

A little friendly competiton. I may have to skip my nap.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   

Competition. Spelling counts. Whoever stays up the latest gets the stats.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 921
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   

Richard and/or Mike, I realize we're supposed to be adversaries, but did anyone win #31? I spent 23 minutes on it because it was tantalizingly close but gave up before my stats were totally ruined!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   

Not me on #31.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:07 am:   

Nor me Ken.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:19 am:   

Richard, I see what you mean (in a personal post to me) about people getting frustrated. I missed #3 way back then, so if even I'm perfect, I will never catch you (unless you make a mistake, and we KNOW that's not going to happen!).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:34 am:   

It would be rude of us not to enlarge on this Ken. I believe I expressed reservations regarding the new 101 collection and said that people getting a 30 day trial a few months down the line would take a look at the stats and conclude that he/she could never realistically hope to catch up. Gregg actually said that they may consider nuking the stats periodically and so eliminate any dead wood. This wood perhaps be a good idea. (deliberate typo Ken). The regulars could just resubmit them. This wouldn't resolve the issue of beginning with the impossible handicap of being thousands behing in the stats though.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   

>Gregg actually said that they may consider nuking the stats periodically and so eliminate any dead wood.

Yes, at some point the older high scores may be eliminated. If I had to guess, I would suggest that those entries with average scores of "1" (manually submitted from PGS versions prior to 10.0) would be the first to go.

>This wouldn't resolve the issue of beginning with the impossible handicap of being thousands behing in the stats though.

Both Pretty Good MahJongg and Action Solitaire have shown that it does not take too much effort to move up in the standings, as there are many scores grouped at the lower end, so there is some immediate reward. In PGMJ (climb mode), the scores tend to get less compressed as one advances, so that is what I expect here, albeit with more activity. (AS has more of a bell curve, as the grouping gets tighter at the top again, since that game is not open-ended.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   

>Richard, I see what you mean (in a personal post to me) about people getting frustrated. I missed #3 way back then, so if even I'm perfect, I will never catch you (unless you make a mistake, and we KNOW that's not going to happen!).

I am contemplating the concept of a "mulligan" feature, allowing one to replay an earlier climb mode deal to try for a better score (or win). Of course, the choice would have to be irrevocable, so you would have to take the new results, even if they were worse.

I wonder whether this could be implemented without corrupting the spirit of climb mode or (worse yet) opening an exploit that would encourage cheating.

Right now, I think very hard before taking a loss in climb mode (except on Interchange or Auld Lang Syne :-)), and that pressure would be gone. On the other hand, when I play a game while tired and, as a result, miss a victory (as I did with Acquaintance), I would be able to correct the mistake. It could also encourage this community here (on the forum), since on games such as Klondike, one may not know which of the deals was winnable without asking.

Thoughts?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   

Hi Gregg, I'm not sure about a "mulligan" feature. It it were implemented it could encourage players to race through their games (and get a great time score)and then rely on other players to put in the work and solve the more difficult ones.
From recent posts it's become apparent that Ken and Mike are as unlikely as you and I to take a loss without going over and over the alternative moves. We're having a bit of a ding dong battle with Klondike just now, but it has exposed how vulnerable a player makes himself/herself by getting ahead of the pack. A shrewd move would be to hang back and see which numbers are being won and which are losers. (Obviously this relies on other players divulging their losing numbers). You needn't waste any time on the losers after the game grinds to a halt, but just move on to the next one.
Retrospectively I think it was a mistake that Ken wasn't made privy to the Beta Test posts. His opinions are invariably worthwhile.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   

Over the years I've had a lot of requests for a feature where if you replay a game number, it replaces the previous score with a new one.

I've never added it because there's a big performance problem when you played thousands and thousands of games - it would have to go through the whole list after every game and determine whether you've played that game before and find it.

That wouldn't be an issue with climb mode since the list is ordered - the previous game is trivially easy to find.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   

I may have to have a rethink about a mulligan feature. I've just blown my Klondike stats by hitting "new game" instead of "auto move". My game was already won. The higher up the stats you are, the more annoying/infuriating it will become.
I've mentioned before that the close proximity of the buttons will eventually lead to this situation.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   

Did someone say Mulligan? Now that is a word I am familiar with. Although I now call them "Clintons". As the former President liked to take them often. Not sure where I stand on this. I know there were some hands that I lost that were winnable. And I have gone back in PGS and played them. But I am not worried that much about the stats in Goodsol Climb. (well not much) But a miss click on a button. Or some computer glich should not really cost a loss. So if it could be worked out it would be ok.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   

Richard, did I jinx you? BTW, re: blowing thru the losers, don't forget that if two players have the same amount of wins and losses, the best score tops the leader board, so you don't want to be too cavalier about blowing thru the losses.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   

Isn't one blow thru sufficient Ken? You could certainly make your mark singularly.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   

Case in point: Thru 52 games, Mike and I have both won the same # of games, but in the losers he has scored better than me by 16 points, so he currently leads the stats.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   

I appear to have scuppered those stats big time Ken. It's my new hobby: winding Mike up in the 101 stats. I'll get fed up soon maybe. If someone sent you an email and selected white as the font, he could make parts of the message invisible apparently. Just running the cursor over the message would highlight everything including the hidden bits.Something to look into. This post will make sense to someone I hope.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   

It does to me. I will have to try it. I figured you would be getting bored with Klondike. What are you going to tackle next.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:31 am:   

Have another look at the most recent one I sent you Mike...re the photos.
I'm not bored with Klondike. It's a good game. I will probably plod on until at leas 500 and establish a GENUINE percentage for it. BTW, have a look at the stats for it in the original PGS. What a bunch of liars.
The main problem as far as I'm concerned is the scarcity of hard games in 101. I'm perfectly willing to have a go at anything that you or Ken suggest.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 8:36 am:   

Richard, Check out the rules for Klondike in PGS. They have an option of taking off the Kings only rule and start any column with any card which would make it impossible to lose. BTW, where is our favorite game, Triple Interchange in PGS101???
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:17 am:   

It doesn't bother me that Triple Interchange isn't included. Do you really want to start out at #1. I have already done that. There are two games I cannot get a handle on. Aces and Kings, and Acquaintance. And the three card turnover in Klondike makes it harder.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:32 am:   

Ken, you're right about the rule differences between the two Klondikes. 101 is far more difficult. It may be that a 100% win rate IS possible in the original PGS, but given the track record of one of the accused, I think I'll stick to my previously stated opinion. I don't see how stats could possibly be compared within the original game if you can select an extremely soft option in competiton with players who are playing the stricter game.
Re TI in 101, I'm with Mike on this one. Been there. Got the T-shirt.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 910
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   

Ok. Which of those losers I mucked up are the winnable ones.Klondike Mess
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   

Christrmas approcheth. Peace and goodwill to all men. Here you go Mike.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   

Here's another nice picture for you guys.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   

Richard. I have been blinded by the smoke. I can't see the monitor very well at all. That is my excuse for blowing those games. As far as Aces and Kings. You can have that game. It's all yours. Have fun.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   

I went back and solved #145 and #146 in Klondike.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   

Blinded by the smoke eh Mike? Sounds like too much cabbage.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 913
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   

Speaking of cabbage. My wife makes really good cold slaw.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   

Cold salad would go quite nicely with cold tongue.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   

Richard, biting tongue seems more your speed!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 914
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   

I am leaving this part of the discussion. Yes I am a coward.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   

Discretion is the best part of valour.

OK! What are we going to tackle, and in which arena?
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   

I don't wish to sound intellectually challenged but could someone please explain Klondike 101 to me? What is the difference between that and regular Klondike? Or is it that there are some new games I have not received for some reason?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   

Hi Maria, Klondike is one of the games in the recently released collection called "Goodsol Solitaire 101". As the rules are slightly different from the Klondike in the original PGS collection that we've all been playing for years, we have to indicate to one another which one we are talking about. So Klondike 101 is the one in the new product, as opposed to Klondike in the older one. Follow the link for more info. You can buy it if you want. It's not expensive.
http://www.goodsol.com/101/index.html?r100d30&101
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:08 am:   

Hi Richard--thanks for getting back to me. When did this new group of puzzles emerge? I saw nothing about it--and do we have to pay for new games now?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:41 am:   

Hi Maria...It's been being Beta tested for several weeks and was just released about two weeks ago. If you want the new 101 collection you have to buy it. The info is in the link. If you don't want it, nothing has changed. Just carry playing the original PGS as normal. The new collection mainly contains games from the original PGS although there are some very minor differences. The main difference between the two is that in the 101 collection the players cannot choose which games to play. You start at #1 in which ever game you fancy playing and continue upwards numerically. Every player is playing the same games numerically so the scores are easily compared. It also cuts out cheating and prevents a few individuals from submitting phoney stats.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:25 am:   

Thank you, Richard--I see what it is now--and I don't like that set-up at all so I'm glad I don't have it.

But will there be any more new, free games down the road? Although I have to say I am going through the list of "All Games" and finding some new and interesting ones----
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   

>The main problem as far as I'm concerned is the scarcity of hard games in 101.

For a challenge, you may want to check out King Tut. The rules list it as "Very Hard (3%). Mostly Luck." However, I have managed 4 wins in only 11 games (36.4%), while nobody else (yet) has reported any wins at all.

It seems that victories in this game can be achieved with some forethought (and counting cards in the waste). :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   

>Check out the rules for Klondike in PGS. They have an option of taking off the Kings only rule and start any column with any card which would make it impossible to lose.

One of the bonus games is Klondike [easy], representing the variant of Klondike with 'Kings Only' turned off. However, I was unable to win deal #2 in this version, so I disagree with your assertion that it would be "impossible to lose". I managed it. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   

>I don't like that set-up at all so I'm glad I don't have it.

I need to ask, in all seriousness, what part of the Goodsol Solitaire 101 description do you dislike?

Climb mode (as described above) can be turned off with the click of a button, and most of the game play features of Pretty Good Solitaire are supported for the selected 101 games. (GS101 does not include quests or wizards, and we deliberately made it harder to manipulate high scores.)

Please let us know. Thanks. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   

Whoops, I forgot this...

>But will there be any more new, free games down the road?

There will certainly be new versions of Pretty Good Solitaire in the future, probably with more games, if that is what you are asking.

All of the games in Goodsol Solitaire 101 are already included in PGS 12, although GS101 does preview a few features that will eventually be included in the flagship product.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   

I agree that Klondike [easy] deal #2 is unwinnable so Ken's opinion about it being "impossible to lose" is certainly wrong. I was virtually certain he was right though.
I've just had a go a King Tut and couldn't match your record Gregg.(Only 1 win from 6 with #3). Wiping my stats and trying again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:24 am:   

Thanks, Greg--I wonder why I didn't get any notice of this at all--unless it didn't get here for some reason. We have a lot of trouble with our server----
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   

Are you sure my numbers are the same as your numbers. I seem to be falling way behind in winners.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:22 am:   

Some of them are far from easy Mike. When I arrive at an impassible situation I look at the tableau and see what's blocking the covered cards. Let's say a red ten is causing a major block, and I have played a red ten elsewhere in the tableau. I undo until I get rid of that red ten and then continue playing until I get the opportunity to play the other one. There may be several moves that have to be made before that opportunity represents itself. If that ploy fails and I land in another impasse, I see if there is something other than the red ten which I can undo to. Once I run out of alternatives I give up. I don't watch the clock. It's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Your percentage wins is pretty close to mine Mike so don't fret about it. Incidentally, I did start over a while ago and failed to win a game which I'm sure I won the first time round. If you've got time could you please let me know your losers between 40 and 60? I'm sure it is between those.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   

Richard, from one loser to another, here are mine: 40, 53, 55, 56, 58, 59. Let's see if Mike has anything different? How are you doing on King Tut, btw?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 1:41 am:   

40,53,55,56,58 are my losers Ken. I did get 59.
King Tut is a righ royal pain as far as I'm concerned. It's not my style of game anyway. I did manage to win #3 before I cleared my stats. Will have another go today.
We've had persistant snow for two days now. Kinda early! Some of the high roads in our area are closed.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 929
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:17 am:   

Richard, That's why it says "Master Solitaire Player" next to your name. I can't get #59! Using your alternate card strategy, all the alternate cards are buried under their counterparts! HELP!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:04 am:   

Not sure what I'm doing with the game save in 101 Ken. Try this.

application/octet-stream
Klondike_59_Grasshopper.goodsol (5.3 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:21 am:   

Sorry Ken. Different rules in original PGS so I'd to play it under my alter ego in 101. It allowed me to save the game but I'd to name it myself. I tried downloading it from here and got the file OK but couldn't find a way to get the software to open it. In fact the "open" part seems to be disabled. I tried dragging and dropping the file into the 101 folder but this was no use either.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:35 am:   

Here is a bit further on. At least you'll know what I didn't move.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:49 am:   

Thanks, Richard! As always, it's "easy" when you know how to do it. Mike, did you get this one?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:25 am:   

I am in beautiful Chico, Calif. again. This time for a funeral. I will tell you more later. I will take a look at my solves shortly. As to a couple of my losers. I just don't see where they were winnable. There were no plays. But Richard solved them. Oh well.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:33 am:   

"Richard solved them". He moveth in mysterious ways. Amen.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   

I can't check my stats from here on my laptop. I will have to look when I get home on Monday. Richard is President of the Bureau of Mysterious Ways. I am President of the Bureau of Mysterious Golf Swings.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   

>I tried downloading it from here and got the file OK but couldn't find a way to get the software to open it.

Download the file and save it with the ".goodsol" extension. Turn off climb mode. Close GS101. Double-click on the saved file.

TA DA! :-)

Note: The reason that you need to turn off climb mode is that the software does not do it for you (bug) and unless you just happen to be on the correct deal number, your climb will be corrupted. The requirement for the software to be closed was an oversight on my part. Both issues should be corrected in a future update.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 921
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   

Well I am back home. Drove a little over 1200 miles. I am worn out. I did not solve #58. It was one of those I messed up. Good Night.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:50 am:   

Welcome back Mike. We really missed you.It's not the same without our favourite whipping boy. Speaking of that....played any golf recently. Ha!

I took this pic for you recently whilst we were at St.Andrews. (I've cropped and shrunk this one. Full size will be uploaded to Webshots a.s.a.p.)

We were thinking about getting one done for you. We've had a whip round and have got nearly two dollars already.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   

Finally! You took a picture of something I am really interested in. I would hope you all could write a little more on the bottom. Also remember I play golf left handed. So get that right. But I deserve something like that. After the abuse I take.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   

There's just no pleasing some people. It's normally Hollywood that rewrites history. Time I had a go too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   

Perfect. Now just get me a Tam. And I will grow the beard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration