Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Penguin # 1980461951 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ruth Fahrmeier (Parrotperson)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Parrotperson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 10:45 am:   

Does anyone know if this can be solved? I've worked for days w/out sucess and don't want to give up if there is a solution. Thanks
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   

It LOOKS winnable Ruth, but my best score so far is 33. Column 4 is the one that is causing all the problems. Will keep trying.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   

It IS winnable Ruth. Solution attached if you know how to use it. Will write one out longhand shortly.
mac/unknown
Penguin_1980461951_Winner.pgs (1.1 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   

QH down,4D out,QS+AD down,4C+5C out,AS over,QH up,AC+2D+AH down,4H out,10S down,AH up,KH+QH over,5S+9C over,10S down,3S out,"D+AD into space,AS+2S down,5D out,8S over,2S+AS into space,QC+9H+QD down,8C+JH over,10H+9H up,8S+9S down,KD over,QD up,7H down,4+5+6S out,6D out,9D over,7,8,9,10D out,5H out,QC up,2-9H into space,AC up,others easy.
A very tricky game.
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   

Thank you very much!
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:48 am:   

Do you have any rules you use to solve difficult penquins? This is my favorite game. Most times I am able to come up w/ an intutitive strategy, usually trying to rationalize the "wierd" arrangements. I also tend to be a stacker which sometimes gets me in trouble.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   

I don't think you can make definite rules for Penguin Ruth. Most of the games are quite straightforward but the occasional game can be extremely difficult. These are the ones that I like most. With one of those it is usually a case of trial and error. Every time the game becomes blocked you should make mental notes of which cards are causing you the biggest problems. Then concentrate your efforts towards freeing up one or more of those. Stacking too many cards on one column can cause major problems. We have a few decent solvers who are active in the forum. If it it winnable one of us will be able to help you.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   

I just looked. I have played 94 hands. Only 2500 more to catch Markus (Bib).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   

Good luck with that Mike!
I thought that Markus posted something fairly recently about not playing in Climb Mode. Maybe I picked him up wrong.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   

My first play for Penguin is to click off all the cards in the first column, to release the last foundation card. Then I try all moves I can devise, making use of snapshot/unsnap. This will usually work, but if not, I try other ideas, even starting with every column, if necessary. I won 717 in a row before encountering an impossible deal.

I wish PGS had climb mode.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   

Hi Mike. Good luck catching me. I am still playing Penguin. ;-)

Hi Richard. I am playing Climb Mode, because it is interesting for me do it one by one. But: when it comes a unwinnable game like obviously 2111, so you have to accept a loss, because in Penguin you cannot see in the beginning, if it is winnable or not. But just thats also interesting.

Hi Jeralyn. I dont know, but in the Mac edition you can choose the game you want to play. Why didnt you do it by yourself? O.k., its not the climb mode high score, but ...

Back to Mike: i had just watched the soccer game Estonia-Brasilia (0:1). That meens, i am to tired to play one more Penguin game. Your chance! ;-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   

Actually Markus I am only playing one game in Climb Mode. Everything else has gotten way out of reach. I give up. I may play a few more Penquin's. But not many. And I will just play mostly in regular PGS.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   

Climb mode or not climb mode, that is the question.
I think, everyone, who plays PGS wants to crack the game, espacially the hard ones. So it is not so important in which mode you play. Just enjoy the games.

Good night.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   

Now I'm confused!
"August 10, 2009 - 3:18 am...Hi Richard, i was thinking about your sentence, that i would be #1. I dont think so, because i wouldn't play in climb mode. i am more a speed gamer".
"August 12, 2009 - 3:41 pm.... Richard. I am playing Climb Mode, because it is interesting for me do it one by one".
I'll leave you, Mike and the others to fight it out. I get bored playing games with such a high win rate, and I can't see the point in playing 1000's of the same game. Of all the games in the 101 collection (ignoring Interchange which is practically impossible),I think that Canfield Deal 3 is the most challenging.Some of them appear to be unwinnable, but you can beat a high percentage of them if you persevere for long enough. The clock plays little part there. You guys may knock in 20 or 30 Panguins by the time I'm through playing a really difficult Canfield.
We all have our own favourites. That's how it should be.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:10 am:   

Hi Richard! Don't be confused. You are as always right.

(And i see, having a good dictionary doesn't automatically mean, that you can all say, as you want.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 4:14 am:   

Your English has a few little mistakes in it Markus, but it is very easy to understand. I am ashamed to say that I know very little German. My father was fluent with your language. He was a prisoner-of-war for over 4 years. He said that he was treated well.
I look forward to you finding some more problem games for us.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 5:44 am:   

One more problem is, that i have learnd estonian, and when i have to do something in english, then every second word, which comes in mind is in estonian, but "i will do my very best" .
At the moment i got some little problems with ST 263, but i am sure, it is winnable and just a question of time.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3225
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 8:17 am:   

I assume you mean Sea Towers Hard #263. I'm not sure it can be won. I need one more cell all the time. It may be winnable in normal Sea Towers. I will try later maybe.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 9:50 am:   

I really ment normal ST. You know i play mostly in climb mode and in ST Hard it take a little bit more time, to get 200 done. But i will try under another player STH #263.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 9:55 am:   

Sorry, i didnt know, that it's in Hard the same game, just with the harder rules. So long i have tried ST #263 o can say, that i don't believe, that it is winnable, but i can say more, when i did ST #263.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 10:03 am:   

Hi again. I tried again the normal one, and i got stuck as you with needing one more cell. And it's the first time i can only score 0.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:36 am:   

I'm glad I am not the only one who scored 0 with #263 Markus. It made no difference playing it with the hard or the easy rules. It's just not winnable.

(You should have the same in your version).
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 1:08 am:   

Of course i have.
So i have to accept another loss. ;-(
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Advanced Solitaire Player

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 2:06 am:   

Good morning to all. I got stuck with ST (not hard) #288. It seems to be winnable but best score so long 3. Did anyone match this game?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   

Three is my top score too.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 12:50 am:   

What do you think? Have i accept the loss?
I also think, that ST hard #47 is unwinnable, but i will spent some more minutes on it.
Yesterday i also didnt get 8off #2196, but i didnt try long, so i cannot exactly say, how hard it is.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 2:18 am:   

Hi Richard again,

what i wanted to ask you so long: what are your favorite games? Do you know all pgs-games?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 5:12 am:   

I think we have covered #288 and #47 before Markus. There is no point in keeping playing them. You are as good as anyone else at these games. I'm not bad either. None of the other players in the forum have managed to do better with them or they would have said so. Every other player will have to accept a loss with them. It's no big deal, (excuse the pun). Move on.

Eight Off #2196 looks more promising. I will keep playing this one. I feel that one clever move could make all the difference. I think my best score so far is seven. Will try again later when I have more time.

I have played every PGS game, over 700 of them. I have had winners with all but a handful of them. My favourite games change all the time. I don't mind what I play as long as it is rated as "Hard" or "Very hard". I hate games that are "All luck" or "Mostly luck". Games that involve a high degree of skill are the best (in my opinion). I like games where at least some of the tableau cards are dealt face down.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 10:43 am:   

7 is also my best for 8 off #2196.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 10:53 am:   

I cannot improve on 7 either. I just needed one more cell and it would have been winnable. C'est la vie.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   

i am glad to see, you have the same problem.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration