Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Kathy Quade « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 8:38 am:   

This should make life easier for you Kathy. No need to keep starting new threads. Just post here and you'll know where to find everything.

Here's one way to solve your Double Sea Towers.
application/octet-stream
Double SeaTowers_1834855563_new.pgs (2.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 7:01 pm:   

Here is one way to capture what you have on your screen. (There is an easier way if you have Vista) but this works fine.

You will have a key on your keyboard similar to this. If you press it it will copy what's on your screen at the time. All you are doing is a copy and paste.

Now you have to go into your programs and locate "Paint". It should be in "Accessories". Locate it and click on it.

You will now see something like this. Click on the option that says "Edit". (Second one in, next to "File". A menu will drop down and you choose "Paste". Your copy will appear. Save it to somewhere you can find it. I'd stick it into "Pictures" where you can crop and resize it prior to uploading it into the forum.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   

Don't know how to do it. I guess I'll just take it as a loss.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 3:36 am:   

No need for that. Here is the solution. I thought you just wanted to try it on your own first.
application/octet-stream
Tuxedo_503027557.pgs (1.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   

Richard, I retraced my steps, and I see what I did wrong. Again, I forgot that I could move the groups of cards together. I was trying to put them down on the cells instead. I'll have to try and remember that. Thanks again.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 1:41 am:   

Is Speculation #724408704 winnable? I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3760
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 4:56 am:   

Winnable if you can work out the correct starting combination. In fact it is winnable without using the Redeal!
application/octet-stream
Speculation_724408704_KO4KQ.pgs (2.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 5:03 am:   

Here is a very early position. You should be able to work out how to get here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3763
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 5:19 am:   

Here is a good early position for Pitchfork #1 Kathy. I did not save #4. I will play it again later. I have lots to do today. It started off with someone wanting a new kitchen and the ball shows no sign of stopping until the whole house has had a makeover!
application/octet-stream
Pitchfork_1_early.pgs (0.3 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3766
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 9:35 am:   

Here is your other Pitchfork Kathy. From this position you should be able to get the A,2,3 of clubs out. Take care. There is just one place the obstructive 10S can go.
application/octet-stream
Pitchfork_4_early.pgs (0.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 2:44 pm:   

Richard, when you have time, I'm stuck on Pitchfork #1. I can't upload my screen, but the top cells look like this: 7C, 7H, 8D, JS. That's where I'm stuck at. Any help would be appreciated, as I said when you have time.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   

Martha #2 is unwinnable, isn't it?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3771
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 3:26 pm:   

See if these help. There are very few moves between them and the game is virtually won by the last screenshot.

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   

Sorry Richard. You gave me Pitchfork #4, which I solved. It's #1 that I'm having trouble with.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 1:25 am:   

Never mind Richard. I just solved #1. I just found out that if the reserves are empty, then you can put cards up there.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 5:03 am:   

Kathy, you can solve Pitchfork #1 without putting cards back to the reserve. Maybe you will try again?!? ;-)
(I solved it in the trial-Version, and i did not know, that i can put cards back.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3774
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 8:41 am:   

It says nothing about this in the rules but when you place your cursor over the empty Reserve, the Hints at the foot of the page says "Any card in empty space". I'd not noticed that either. It would be better if the Rules said this specifically. With this new information this is possible......

Can you match this Markus?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 9:40 am:   

You mean #3. #4 i got already without this. Will try tomorrow in work. Could you match #2? When i remember right, then it was possible to clean the reserve.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3776
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:03 am:   

Yes #3. Look at the dates. It is an interesting game using this "new" tactic. I have had no joy with #2 though.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:33 am:   

Here is a super challenge for everyone. Can you win Pitchfork #6 WITHOUT using the empty Reserve to accept cards from the tableau? It's a gem!!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:15 am:   

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 3:37 am:   

Wanted to attach a smiley, but i did not find the page you once mentioned. At home, i saved it, but at work not. Could you once more tell me the page? Thanks.
For more, i haven't had time, but they will come.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 5:06 am:   

Now you guys have given me a real challenge. I've only won #1 and #4. But are you're telling me games 2, 3, 5 and 6 are winnable also? I'll give them a try, but you're the masters. I don't know if my brain will be up to it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 5:54 am:   

Under your list, I've won #'s 1, 4, and 5. Can't get anywhere with 2, 3 and 6 yet. I also won 185089281. Hate to clear my statistics and start over again as I can't remember my moves, and I don't know how to write them down without taking forever because I have nerve damage to my hands that makes it hard for me to write. I can type great, just can't write well.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 5:57 am:   

Also, if no one can give me any hope at winning Backbone (I've only won once), I'm taking it off my favorite list, as it's frustrating and seems hopeless 99% of the time.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 6:34 am:   

Hi Kathy

I have won game 1918482560
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:14 am:   

Richard, i have had time to do Pitchfork #1 till #5. I took just a look at #6. The only thing i can say without trying it: a lot of problems.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 11:29 am:   

Markus, I'm having a lot of problems with #6 too. Hopefully Richard will have some hints for us. By the way, I've won 1, 2 and 5 but am also having problem with 3.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   

Kathy, i can try it only on work. Today, i did not have more time. I will start #6 really tomorrow, in the hope, i find some free minutes. I just took a look over. How hard it is, i cannot say.
In #3 is the beginning important. I did not save my solution, so i cannot post it tomorrow.
Will tell you tomorrow, how it went on with #6. I promise you, that i will save it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3786
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   

This thread is becoming very confused. Please specify the GAME followed by the NUMBER you are referribg to. If we are jumping from one GAME to another it would help if we made seperate threads for each. I will start a thread for Backone as soon as I've played it.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   

What is the problem, Richard? Kathy wanted to win BackB(!)one. Paul answered. I talked as written from Pitchfork numbers (#1 to #5, which i have won), and that i will try #6 tomorrow. Kathy answered to this, and i answered to her. Because there hasn't been any other game between, it is obvious from which game we are talking.

O.k., Richard, i understand, what you will tell us. When you did not visit the forum for some time, than you will have difficulties to understand what's up, and you surely don't want to read all the posts.

So forgive us our careless.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 2:28 pm:   

Richard, I'm sorry. I'll try not to bother you anymore with my posts. I guess it is confusing for you. But my life is very confusing. I suffer from a mild case of dementia (caused by getting older), and very often I get confused (which is why I play PGS; it keeps my brain exercised). There's nothing I can do about it except not bother people with my problem caused by my condition. You've been extremely helpful. Maybe it's time I just tried on my own.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   

P.S. Don't bother with the list of games I gave you on the other forum. I'll figure them out myself.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   

Hi Richard, me again. Played just Gold Rush #11. It is winnable, but a little bit tricky at the end. I enjoyed it. Maybe you too?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 3:35 pm:   

Richard will be happy to help all he can. He was just saying that there were alot of games and the hand numbers were getting confused. Also remember he is in the process of remodeling. Lots of workmen in and out and he has to some of the work himself. So keep asking questions. Just do one or two at a time for awhile. And make sure you say which game and hand #.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 3:49 pm:   

Hi Kathy
keep asking questions as we are all always glad to help anybody who asks

one idea to make it easier is to find the game in the list under "is it winnable" and use that section
eg I am having trouble with Quad Interchange game so I will put a post only in the quad interchange section
if you cannot find the game mentioned go to the bottom and the is a start a new thread and call it the game you are asking about
I have just set up a Pitchfork folder so this should be used for Pitchfork questions.
it is interesting to look at these posts as they go back to the year 2003
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   

I'm glad you set up a forum just for Pitchfork. I wish I could participate in it, but I would probably be accused of being confusing (not by you), and that I cannot have done. It's a terrible thing to live with a handicap. People don't understand what it's like.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   

Kathy. Post your numbers. There is no problem.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 5:17 pm:   

There never has been a problem. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask players to post their problem numbers in the appropriate section. "Is it winnable?". When someone ties their best to win someone else's games it could be a days before the game is solved. It is tedious to have to rake through dozens of posts in several sections in order to try and locate the original post. In many cases it is difficult enough to try and relocate them in a single section without having to search through "General Discussion" and "Pretty Good Solitaire Mac Edition" in order to find something that logically you imagine should be in the "Is It Winnable". In this particular page there have been references to #1 and #3 with no indication about which #1 or #3 they refer to. The thread has bounced around between several games (6?). We should all be stating which game the number refers to. It gets cunfusing. That is a simple statement of fact. It is so easy to remedy this that I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:09 am:   

Just post questions and answers about one game under the name of that game in "Is it Winnable" Then those who are interested in that game can follow the discussion.

This thread is listed as "Kathy Quade", and it is about half a dozen different games. Now poor Kathy has unintentionally offended Richard,as I have in the past, and wants to drop out of the Forum - a part of her life that means a lot to her. Don't go, Kathy!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:55 am:   

Thank you Annika for your kind words and understanding of my problem. I would like to still post on the forum, but I get my feelings hurt very easily (always have), and having no support system of my own (such as close family, friends, etc.) to turn to, I counted on maybe some new friends in the forums. I guess I could just ignore Richard, but I don't want to cause any problems or hurt anyone's feelings. Everyone else has always been so nice to me, and I would miss you all. I'm in a quandry as to what to do. I know it's just a game, but being a shut-in, PGS connects me with the outside world.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:05 am:   

Hi Jerri, "Offended" no! Irritated, only a little. I'm pretty thick skinned.....I'll live.
I take the blame for creating the thread "Kathy Quade" in the first place. I always know who's game I am trying to solve and I thought this would make it a bit easier by keeping her games in one single place. Both she and I would know where to find things. I was trying to help, but alas the best laid schemes of mice and men.....etc.
I've no problems with you, Kathy or anyone else for that matter. My life is in an uproar at the moment with builders both indoors and out. As if that was not enough Liz's father (99) has been readmitted to hospital. My time is at a premium so it helps if I know where to locate everything in the forum quickly. That way I make more time available for playing the games.
No-one could argue that I am always bemoaning that too few people use the forum. I actually encouraged Kathy to become increasingly active. As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed. I hope that Kathy agrees that that it has all been much ado about nothing.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:32 am:   

Let's just forget everything and go on as if nothing happened. I too am going through "hell" right now and just need an outlet to keep from going crazy. Maybe I'd better look for another outlet, only it isn't that easy in my situation. Everyone have a good life.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:52 am:   

Hi Kathy, Pretty Good Solitaire has been a lifeline for a great many people since it was first released. I thought nothing about playing it for 15+ hours a day when I was ill. No matter how many thousands of games I play, I never get bored with it. You are addicted like the rest of us. I can't imagine you ever giving it up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3791
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 11:09 am:   

Your loose ends Kathy......
Pitchfork 216785713
Haystack 1779675136
Speculation 1457051520
Tuxedo 1525385600
application/octet-stream
Pitchfork_216785713.pgs (2.3 k)

application/octet-stream
Speculation_1457051520.pgs (6.5 k)

No joy with either of the others.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   

Richard, I had to use your Speculation solution, but I solved Pitchfork on my own. Yeah!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3795
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 1:42 pm:   

Well done with that Pitchfork! It wasn't easy. I LOVE those Speculation games you have been posting. I'd rate each of them as very difficult. Mostly they look impossible.
On that subject I think your Tuxedo is unwinnable. I must have played ever possible combination without it ever looking hopeful.. The Haystack has also beaten my best efferts........so far!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   

In case anyone is interested, Haystack #1452678656 is winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 3:56 am:   

I've given up on your other Pitchfork Kathy, (and also the Tuxedo).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 3:57 am:   

Sorry, I meant Haystack not Pitchfork. My brain is getting addled.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 5:26 am:   

So is mine. I thought I was giving another winning Pitchfork number, but since I had already typed the winning number for Haystack, I decided to go ahead and post it anyway.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:06 am:   

Need help with Double Sea Towers #807793280. I've been working on it for days with no luck. Plus, even though there's a special forum for Pitchfork, I just can't seem to win any of the ones that are supposed to be winnable. Must be some sort of block. Or maybe it's because I'm out of sorts today myself.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:41 am:   

You've solved MUCH harder ones that this Kathy. Here is a solution anyway. Pity we can't sort out health problems so easily.
application/octet-stream
Double SeaTowers_807793280_Out.pgs (2.4 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   

Richard, took up your challenge after I got your answer and solved it right away. Must have been the nap I just took.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 9:05 am:   

Here is your photo Kathy. Trying to enlarge photos from a smaller one is rarely a success. You lose definition as the pixels become further and further apart. I always feel a little guilty about uploading large screenshots etc. Thats' why I try and shrink them first. I don't think Thomas will mind if we do an odd one or two. Liz just loves this shot. A few years ago I got them to put it onto her Visa card.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:11 am:   

Thanks Richard. It printed out beautifully. Some day if I ever get a camera or borrow one, I'll send you a photo of my "critters" wall.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 8:18 am:   

I apologize to everyone for causing such a fuss. I'm going through a very difficult time right now. As of today, I have no money to live on and food only enough to last me for a week if I eat one piece of fish a day and one pretzel. I'm trying not to worry about it so much, so maybe that's why every little thing is bothering me lately. You people have been great to me on the forum, and I appreciate that.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4317
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 9:41 am:   

Kathy, there is no need to apologize for expressing your opinions or concerns. We, in this forum are supposed to be friends. Although friends frequently forgive and forget, more often than not they just accept that other people have as many human failings as they themselves have. Least said, soonest mended works almost all of the time. What you may not appreciate is that your input into this forum is valuable. I for one look forward to learning what games are giving you grief, and then trying to help you. I'm sure other less loquacious, verbose, garrulous, voluble, fluent, glib, or conversational members would totally agree. (Thank you Google. I may have typed in "synonyms, windbag" and got a more eloquent suggestion than I'd anticipated.
The punchline is that this forum is supposed to be fun. On occasions we have to agree to disagree, but that's life in a nutshell. Compulsory euthanasia is the only way you are ever going to get shot of me.
Let's move on.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:24 pm:   

Let's move on.

Good idea. I hate saying that.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 1:40 pm:   

Reading your last sentence, i had to think about Grouchi from the Smurfs.

And how would Shakespeare say: Mike or Grouchi, that's the question.
BTW, i found that about Grouchi:
"No matter what you say or suggest, Grouchy will be against it on principle. From his corner, he interrupts the other with systematically negative comments such as: "Me, I don't like..." On the face of it, you'd think he likes no one or anything. But deep down, he has a HEART of GOLD."
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   

Richard can attest to the fact that my name is "Scrooge". But I will be honored to accept "Grouchi".
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 2:32 pm:   

In German his name is Muffi. That would have been fitted better for Shakespeare.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   

Mike, i just saw your picture, which has been posted by Richard last week. The pose (?) is still the same.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 4:20 pm:   

When I do another picture I will be in blue.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   

We are waiting.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 8:20 am:   

Kathy, There is no need for you to be a stranger. I took this a few days ago. I thought you'd like it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:15 am:   

Richard, I am not trying to be a stranger, but every time I think of contributing to a post, I wonder if my remarks will be taken the wrong way, and then I just decide to keep quiet. I love the picture and will, as you know, print it out and tape it to my wall.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4813
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:36 am:   

That's OK Kathy. You must do what you think best. I'm glad you liked my squirrel anyway.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 10:35 am:   

Nice "self portrait". But I think you need a shave.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:23 am:   

I do actually. Not had one for 4 days. Just a scruffy git.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   

Clothing optional I see. Do you need to get innoculated against foreigners?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4815
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   

Surely you meant furryners Mike.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 1:46 pm:   

I didn't know the exact Scottish spelling.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4873
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 6:43 pm:   

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   

Thank you. It's beautiful.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 5:44 am:   

The only alternative I had was a yellow rose, but that is more associated with Texas.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 6:12 am:   

It just so happens that I love pink roses, although my favorites are white roses. You know the old saying, "yellow roses mean goodbye." Plus, I used to live in Texas for a couple of years, and the mess it's in right now with crime, immigration, etc., I'd rather not be associated with it right now.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 1:06 pm:   

Happy Mother's day to all. That means you too Richard. But not the Ken's. Not sure about Paul. He has been very quiet lately.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5055
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 9:57 am:   

Thought that this would be of particular interest to you Kathy. At Orphir,Mainland,Orkney.

I've told Historic Scotland that their sign is wrong. I'll let you know their reply.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 2:03 pm:   

What's wrong with their sign, Richard? Also, is their an entry way, or is it just ruins? BTW, the area reminds me of Ireland except there are no hills.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 2:35 pm:   

There is a round church on Islay. I've seen it. They built them round so that the devil couldn't hide in a corner.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   

Presumably the Apse is the only bit still standing. The entrance would have been at the opposite end.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5067
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 5:31 am:   

I saw this info on a web-page I visited earlier today. I wondered if you have any gas heating where you live. If not, no harm done.

The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: Tiredness,Drowsiness,Headache,Pains in the chest,Stomach pains.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 6:14 am:   

As a matter of fact, I do have gas heating as most of us do around here. And I've got all of the symptoms you mentioned. I'll have to get one of those carbon monoxide monitors when I get the money. It's only been about a month since I've turned the heat off because of the hot weather. Do you think it might take a while for the symptoms to go away? So far, the only one that has gotten a little better is the tiredness. I'm still drowzy, have headaches and chest and stomach pains. I'll have to monitor myself over the next few weeks and see if those symptoms get better. Thanks for the info. It's funny, because I too wondered at times during the last few months whether I might have carbon monoxide poisioning, but since I didn't die and since the cat didn't die, I thought I was in the clear.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5068
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 6:33 am:   

The key words are "early symptoms" Kathy. Waiting until your cat died would be a step too far.
Your landlord is legally obliged to maintain gas equipment. That would be my first step.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 8:21 am:   

Okay, I'll call the management office and ask them if my smoke alarm also senses whether there is a carbon monoxide leak or not and then take it from there.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5071
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:23 am:   

You've nothing to lose. Better safe than sorry/dead.
They should have a mobile CO meter at their disposal anyway.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5142
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 5:09 am:   

As promised, here is part of the email response from Historic Scotland, "You are, of course quite right the cast panel is incorrect and thank you for drawing it to our attention. We will address it as soon as possible".

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 6:15 am:   

You still haven't told me what is wrong with the sign. What does "cast panel" mean? Is that another word for sign? At least you got a response.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 10:50 am:   

I did Kathy, "There is a round church on Islay. I've seen it". (Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 2:35 pm).

They have admitted that their panel is wrong.
No mystery about a "cast panel". If you look at the photo I posted you should be able to see that it is 3D. It has been cast in iron/steel so that the letters are raised from the surface of the rest of it. It won't be a case of repainting it. They'll need to make a new one.
I caught them with two more of their signs. One at Edinburgh Castle must have been seen by millions of people. No-one spotted that "It'd" is not a word.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 923
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   

I got it now. It just took me a while. Did they say they were going to fix the sign at Edinburgh Castle, or didn't you mention it?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5154
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 2:02 pm:   

I got them to fix the other signs ages ago. Got to keep these government employees on their toes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5236
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 4:23 am:   

Thought these might cheer you up Kathy. The Italian Chapel was built on Orkney during the war by Italian prisoners-of-war. You can Google all the info you want.

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 987
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 4:54 am:   

This chapel is very unique. I never saw this kind of architecture before in a church or chapel. I will google it, because I am interested. Have you actually seen it yourself or just pictures? My tastes usually run to Gothic-type architecture, especially in churches. The most beautiful one I've ever seen is a Cathedral in St. Louis, Missouri. If I can find a picture of it, I'll upload it. You know, one of my desires in life, which I guess will not be fulfilled, was to see the Sistine Chapel in Rome and especially the ceiling with the depiction of the Creation of Man by Michaelangelo. It is my favorite painting of all next to (and don't laugh) Van Gogh's Sunflowers.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5237
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 5:25 am:   

I took the photos myself Kathy. I'd to shrink them to 25% to upload them. I will post a link within the next few days so that you can see the rest of them too, plus a video I made.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 988
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 5:36 am:   

Here is one picture I found. It is Byzantine architecture.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 9:56 am:   

What a beautiful building!

Here is the link I promised you to the rest of the Italian Chapel photos Kathy. (Everyone else is welcome to look too).
http://travel.webshots.com/album/578021137tQUVQL
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 989
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:46 am:   

Was the chapel ever used for worship, or did it become somewhat of a monument of the war? One of the reason I ask is I see no seating or pews.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:50 am:   

Kathy, I have seen the Sistine Chapel. It is quite a sight. The priests were going around constantly shushing people because the tourists (most likely Americans) had no reverence for the sanctity of the place.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:12 am:   

Of course there was seating in the chapel Kathy. The Italian prisoners built it to use it. It gets droves of visitors every day. It's crowded enough without seats being present. We went there very early to avoid other visitors. It's not locked.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:15 am:   

I agree with you, Ken. Americans are some of the worst tourists ever. You should see them here in the States, especially at places like Disney World. When I was there in 1975, I was ashamed of the way they acted.

Did you see the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, especially Michangelo's Creation of Man? Would it have been worth my seeing it in person if I had had a chance?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:41 am:   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r0gsR3Kn4
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   

That is the most incredible feat of art done by one man I have even seen. It is almost impossible to believe he did it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 1:29 pm:   

I am a very good tourist when traveling in other countries. I have only been yelled at in France. And that doesn't count against me. (do we have any people in France reading this)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 992
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   

My niece went to France and said the French were not that friendly to her group. According to her, the group did not behave badly. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the French like Americans very much. Of course, a lot of other countries don't either.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 5:37 pm:   

Richard, when I clicked on your Youtube link off to the right there is a bunch of related vids (more Sistine Chapel, other art work etc) but halfway down there is a link to the scene in Jaws where Roy Scheider says, "You're going to need a bigger boat". Any guess as to why this is related?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5246
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 5:58 pm:   

Ken,I gave up thinking about the Youtube listings. You can quickly find yourself far far away from where you started out. Perhaps some people just put a whole load of tags on their clips to get more exposure.
BTW, has everybody stopped playing PGS recently?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 994
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   

I'm still playing, but I got smarter after you left Richard and solved many an unsolvable game. I keep asking everybody to recommend a challenging game to me, but no one has come up with one that I either haven't played or that I like. Come one, out of all these games, there must be something for me. You all know what I like.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 995
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 6:07 pm:   

Do you know that one of the reasons Michaelangelo didn't want to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was that the Church wouldn't let him paint the angels naked.

I saw the Jaws clip, Ken. It seems so odd because it's the only clip that doesn't pertain to the subject, unless there's some underlying meaning we don't get.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:28 am:   

How about the Jaws of God are going to get you if you don't believe?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5252
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:42 am:   

Or a Great White expanse before he started his painting?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   

Since we were showing architecture lately, I thought you'd get a kick out of this church. Never mind the religion content, just look at the pictures.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/06/wow-just-wow-thats- ugly/
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5254
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 1:14 pm:   

OMG! Looks like something out of H.G.Well's "War of the Worlds". Hideous. Even worse than the Scottish Parliament. That was 450 million pounds worth of an eyesore.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   

I like the caption that St. Monica would not be amused. She'd probably be horrified.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5259
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 1:20 pm:   

Another one for your collection Kathy. St.Magnus Cathedral,Kirkwall,Orkney,founded in 1137. I'll let you know when I get the rest of this set sorted out.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   

These are really nice. Maybe I can start printing them out and start a collection like my critter collection.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   

That way Richard can be in both your collections, Kathy!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   

Or I could have a Richard collection with all his witty comments included. I might even put in his grouchy comments also.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 5:10 am:   

Grouchy?!?!?!?
I resemble that remark.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 7:04 am:   

Richard? Witty? Well, you're half right, Kathy!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   

Resemble? Has Richard been to the pub recently? Ken, are you actually referring to Richard as a half-wit? He said it, Richard; I didn't.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5277
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 2:49 pm:   

To be precise, Ken insinuated it, but you were the one who put it into words Kathy. I know you were both joking.............or at least I think I do. Paranoia setting in?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   

Are you Dr. Richard or Mr. Mechen???
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5279
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 3:46 pm:   

I forget which one. Alzeimers setting in?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   

He's Dr. Who?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   

Dr.No.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   

I like Dr. Who better. Dr. No was a bad guy. Dr. Who is funny, like you on a good day.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 9:08 pm:   

P.S. I found an upside to having my cable removed. Now I can go on the internet and rewatch all of my favorite British comedies. I usually just watch the news, and that's been so depressing lately that it will be good to take a break from, as one of our conservative commentators says, the "Chosen One". That's Obama just in case you didn't guess which I'm sure you did.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 3:37 am:   

The big O has made himself hugely unpopular here. He has been publicly called "unstatesmanlike". Not even Georgie Boy managed that. He finds himself powerless to stop the huge oil flow in the gulf, so he has resorted to ranting and raving and pointing fingers. The number of times he has mentioned "British Petroleum" is disgraceful. He fails to inform the American public that 40% of BP is American owned, that the rig that blew up is American owned and built, and that the safely valve that failed was also built in the USA. He maintains that BP should have thought things through before this drilling started. Surely the department who granted the licence should have done that too. The USA has a massive appetite for cheap oil. All oil companies are under pressure to keep the price down. If that continues we can expect more disasters of this nature.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 4:26 am:   

I am so glad you informed me of facts about the oil disaster that I didn't know. I always maintained that Obama (representing the US) refused to take any of the blame for the spill, and I thought it unfair to demonize BP the way he did. I am the only one I personally know who does not completely place the blame on BP's shoulders. Everyone else hates them, and when I give my opinion, they are horrified that I think that way.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 7:36 am:   

As I understand it, American laws do not require the safety standards that European countries have. For this, President Obama is not to blame. Perhaps members of Congress, influenced by lobbyists ($), are the ones, for failing to enact proper safety laws. BP did not require its contractor to have the triple protection, that would have kept this disaster from happening.

I live in southern Alabama. It is our, as well as Mississippi's, Louisiana's, and Florida's, snow white beaches, beautiful birds, and all the mammals, reptiles, fish, crustaceans, shellfish, and other wildlife, that are endangered. The oil is here. It is not a spill, but a flood.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 7:50 am:   

Perhaps your right, Jeralyn. Why then don't I hear any criticism of Congress, especially from those states affected the most by the spill? It's all BP's fault is what I'm hearing. Wouldn't it at least be fair to mention Congress' part in all of this.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 8:00 am:   

In my opinion, I think everyone should stop this "blame game" and start working together to get this thing fixed.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5297
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 11:11 am:   

"The buck stops here"??? Mr.Squeaky Clean Obama should take a lesson from history. What happens within US territorial waters is ultimately his responsibility. He has chosen to single out BP as the cause of this disaster. I cannot swallow that he is ignorant of the fact that the USA is heavily, if not principally at fault. Kathy is correct. The blame game has to stop. Instead of the Big O trying to shift the blame he should be trying to help the Anglo/American company to resolve it. If HE, the (allegedly) most powerful man on the planet cannot put in place a solution to this problem, then how does he expect an oil company to do so? The man is a fraud. He is only looking after #1 with a view to his own reelection. Black marks Mr.O.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   

If you look and listen carefully, President Obama is always in the campaign mode. He knows how to campaign. He does not know how to run a country. His approval rate in the polls keeps slipping every day. Also, that's why he won't try and fix the dangerous problem at the Mexico/US border. He doesn't want to lose the Latino vote. It's so obvious, it's sickening.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 6:14 pm:   

The average depth of the English Channel is 390ft. No where does it come close to a mile deep. I am no fan of the President. But he did not cause the blow out. Many share responsibility for this disaster. But the main culprit is BP in not overseeing their project properly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5301
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 6:59 pm:   

I'm sorry Mike but they fitted an emergency shut off valve. Had it done its job properly it would just have been another rig accident, nowhere near as bad at Piper Alpha disaster where 167 died. It would be cool if someone reminded Mr O that an American company was running that show. Accidents happen. With the best will in the world they will continue to happen. I wonder how much publicity there has been in the USA about the hammering British pensioners have been taking since the blow out. Apparently 20% of our private pensions was generated by BP.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 7:46 pm:   

There hasn't been much publicity at all about the pensioners. The only way I know about it is from the Fox News Channel which broadcasts things the other media ignore.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 8:09 pm:   

I am sorry for all the people who have been affected by this mess. And will continue to be affected for years to come. And I have not forgotten the wildlife.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 8:16 pm:   

The rest of the US will be affected too, Mike. And you know how I feel about wildlife. I can't watch the pictures on TV when they show them covered with oil.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5302
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 8:45 pm:   

Here are a few major spills from our neck of the woods.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/hu/ergsinhu/abo utergs/torrey.html
http://www.incidentnews.gov/incident/6241
http://shetlopedia.com/The_Braer_Disaster_(Oil_Spill)
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Empress.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/592378.stm
Time to give this subject a go bye. There are no winners. The biggest losers are the seabirds, and they don't use oil.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 8:37 am:   

Did you want to win something, Richard? Around here, everybody loses.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5317
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 9:23 am:   

I believe I said "There are no winners" two sentences ago. I was pointing out that Britain gets loads of other people's oil washed ashore, polluting the land and sea and killing our wildlife, yet I have no recollection of our Prime Ministers spouting anti-American vitriol as a result. Obama needs to grow up. The valve that caused all the problems was American not British.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5370
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 3:56 pm:   

BTW, Paul the octopus got it right again! 100% record.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   

Now, don't all of you who made fun of me feel ashamed? Only Markus believed in me and the octopus.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5371
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 4:10 pm:   

I am always a sceptic when it comes to things like this. The world is fun of con artists.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   

That's true. Have you noticed we haven't heard from the octopus since it's first prediction?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5373
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 5:02 pm:   

It was on the TV tonight. That's why I mentioned it. They've promised to have it on camera again before the final game of Spain v Holland.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 5:15 pm:   

Please keep me apprised of the story if you here more. I haven't seen it on the net.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 5:43 pm:   

Richard, if you're a sceptic, does that make Mike a antiseptic?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5375
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 6:16 pm:   

........or an anticlimax?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 6:18 pm:   

Did you fall off your bike again Ken? Training wheels. Think training wheels.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5378
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 4:52 am:   

MY APOLOGIES

I stated earlier on this page that BP is 40% American owned. This is wrong.

It is the UK that own 40%. America owns 39%.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 11:30 pm:   

It's interesting to see the list of US stock holders. Bill and Melinda Gates invested in BP in the name of their foundation. Goldman Sachs and probably other investment firms. The payout was good for a while.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 4:11 am:   

Mr. O must have skipped that bit...... and every other bit that wasn't to his liking. I'd bet he would have 100% win rate in the PGS stats.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 4:24 am:   

If he didn't get 100% in the stats, you can bet he would blame it on someone else, probably his predecessor. He does that very well.

BTW, what's with this omission all the time of "New". I just happened to see your name and the time, and that's how I came across this post. This never used to happen. Now it's happening a lot.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5386
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 6:34 am:   

Paul the octopus has picked Spain to win the World Cup.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 7:19 am:   

Oh, so the first prediction was only a one-time prediction? If I was a bet/ting person, which I'm not, I'd bet on Spain.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 10:23 am:   

Paul, (I'll be on the menu soon) has predicted the results of all the games that involved Germany. There never was a one-time prediction, just one game at a time. Otherwise everybody could have gone home a week ago. Until there was a match that involved Spain and Netherlands he would never have had that choice. It's a NEW prediction.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article- 1293369/WORLD-CUP-2010-Paul-psychic-octopus-backs- Spain-beat-Holland-final.html
It's all a big fiddle or a huge run of coincidences.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   

Please don't tell me that Paul will be on the menu soon. I've grown quite fond of him. Maybe if Spain wins, they will spare him.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 1:13 pm:   

He's a valuable exhibit in an aquarium Kathy. Of course they won't eat him........... Well not all of him anyway.......... Leg anyone?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 1:16 pm:   

That's frog's legs not octopus' legs. Oh no, now you've got me worried about the poor frogs. I must find pictures of an octopus and frog in their memory for my critter wall.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 1:35 pm:   

They're not so different from cows,sheep,pigs,fish,chickens or turkeys. They're all part of the food chain
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   

I know. I always feel guilty though when eating anything that was once alive. My problem is I can't eat vegetables, so in order for me to stay alive, I have to ......
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 4:47 pm:   

A great many animals eat other ones.At least we are not total carnivores.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 5:39 pm:   

You're awfully cheerful today, aren't you, Richard? Did you return to the pub, or are you still feeling the effects?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 5:56 pm:   

? Just stating a fact. The drink has little effect on me. After six pints I just shut one eye to drive home.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5401
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   

The next course,
http://www.timeslive.co.za/opinion/letters/article 540824.ece/The-World-Cups-been-the-real-calamari
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 9:05 pm:   

At least it looks like if Spain is the winner, Paul will be kept in the aquarium. I hope so. I've grown quite fond of him. I thought calamari was another name for a squid not an octopus. I'm a little confused. I wonder if it's okay to pray for an octopus? I'm going to anyway. I don't drink alcohol that much, but aren't 6 pints an awful lot? I get inebriated by 2 teaspoons of brandy in my tea.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   

Practice makes perfect, Kathy!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 1:20 am:   

BTW a papagoi (his name is Mani) in Singapur predicted, that Holland is getting world champion.

http://video.gmx.net/watch/7646709

(The video is in German.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5407
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 6:22 am:   

Your link did not work for me Markus. In English a Papagei is a Parrot. I saw footage on the news of an Indian Ringneck Parakeet picking Holland to win by selecting a playing card. Not sure I'm convinced. They could have had many attempts before they got the one they wanted.

Calamari is Squid Kathy, but people do eat Octopus. Paul is a VALUABLE aquarium creature. He'll die of old age there eventually. Nobody is going to eat him.

In my young and foolish days it was not uncommon for me to drink 12 - 15 pints in an evening (about 4 hours). When I met up with a particular friend we often put away 20 - 25 in about 6 hours. My tolerance has dropped quite a lot with age, but I could still get into double figures and be perfectly lucid and walk a straight line as if I was sober.
BTW, I'm surprised that none of you got on my case about driving home under the influence, particularly with one eye shut. I'd never do that. Drinking and driving is inexcusable.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 6:48 am:   

I figured it out that you were not serious about driving under the influence, but I never really know when you are serious or "pulling my leg".

I couldn't get the video to translate into English, Markus, but I got the message. I don't know whether these things are a hoax or not, but I love to look at the critters.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5408
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 7:18 am:   

They should be taken with a pinch of salt but they are amusing none the less.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:52 am:   

Richard, maybe this link is working. It is an Indian Ringneck Parakeet.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wcarticleshow/6 149030.cms
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5409
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:24 am:   

Yes, that's the one I saw on TV. I am familiar with these Ringnecks. We used to sell birds.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 1:31 pm:   

We have a conflict here at home. (what else is new) The Doberman picks the Netherlands while the Rat Terrier is picking Spain. This was not a scientific poll. They just raised their paw when I asked them their picks. And their Ma stayed out of it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 2:28 pm:   

I would trust the rat terrier. Not only does he agree with Paul, the octopus, but we had a rat terrier when I was younger, and she was the smartest dog I've ever seen. Keep away from those conflicts, Mike. We don't want any chilly weather to come back. Oh, you mean the conflict is between the rat terrier and the doberman. In that case, never mind.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 6:26 pm:   

The Doberman (Anubis) and the Rat Terrier (Lizzie) get along fine. She thinks she is the boss and Anubis could care less. And never mind Richard. I already know your comment.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5784
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 9:58 am:   

Kathy.........How are you? What's happening? Are you still ill?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 4:56 am:   

I'm still sick, Richard. This is the first morning I've been able to even look at the computer. I finally got an antibiotic at the emergency room but it's taking a while to work. Now I'm out of cough syrup. But I'm still alive. It's just going to take a while. I thought of you yesterday when I saw on the news that it was the anniversary of the invention of Scotch tape. It was interesting why they called it "Scotch" tape.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5787
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 5:29 am:   

I'm glad you are making some progress Kathy. As an ex-smoker who had bronchitis a few times, I know how the ciggies worsened my condition. Try just smoking a quarter of one as a time instead of a whole one. Strong salt water makes an excellent cheap gargle for a sore throat.
"Scotch Tape" is almost always called "Sellotape" here. I wasn't aware of its history until I Googled it. Generally speaking, the word Scotch is only applied to whisky here. Many of us get quite irritated if we are referred to as Scotch. Scots or Scottish are correct. Interestingly, the spell checker that Google Chrome operates when I am typing messages in the forum, has identified "whisky" as a mis-spelling. It only accepts "whiskey" (the Irish spelling) as correct. No wonder we get up tight.
I wandered onto a webpage a couple of days ago. It was called "Beautiful England" (or similar). Apparently Scotland is part of England. We seem to get it in the neck the whole time.
Ahhhhhhh! This may interest you. I sent a snotty email to Webshots about their new default cyan font. Basically I told them it is cr-p, and that it is very difficult to read. I told them that "pretty" is no substitute for "legible". They wrote back with this info.
If you press down "Contr" and "=" it increases the font size of everything on your screen. To reset it to default size just press "Contr" and 0 (zero).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 1:22 pm:   

Get better Kathy.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 4:40 am:   

I haven't even been able to touch a cigarette since I've gotten this bronchitis. I tried once, and my lungs burned so bad I haven't tried again. I guess Scotch tape is an American term. As for whiskey, I've always spelled it that way, but then I'm Irish, but I think that's the common spelling in America. I have to go out this morning to get some cough syrup, so wish me luck. I haven't been eating, so I'm really weak, but the senior citizen bus is the only way I can get to the store to get some. Thanks for caring, and thank you too Mike. So far, except for one friend here at home, you two are the only ones who cared if I was okay or not. Maybe this weekend, I'll try and do more. I know you must miss me causing some sort of trouble here in the forum as I usually do.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5793
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 5:38 am:   

Stopping smoking would be a goal you can achieve by the sound of things. You will feel the benefits. Don't concern yourself about causing "trouble" in the forum. I'm probably worse than you. Nobody gets killed. As my old mum used to say "Worse things happen at sea".
Couldn't someone have delivered some cough syrup to you? That's not much to ask.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 9:58 am:   

Scotch is a company so it refers to a brand.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 9:59 am:   

I hope you feel better Kathy. Take care of yourself please.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 4:45 am:   

Thanks, Ken. I think Scotch tape is made by the 3-M Company. Anyway, the news story I heard gave the reason why it was called "Scotch" tape. I'm feeling a bit better this morning. Hope to be joining you all soon. Miss you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5796
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 5:09 am:   

Glad you are feeling a bit better Kathy. I fished this photo out for you.I took it about 2 years ago. I thought you'd appreciate it. It's the ruins of Jedburgh Abbey. It has an interesting history.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5994
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 5:57 pm:   

Purely out of interest Kathy, what was the reason you changed your email address? Were you using Outlook Express to send and receive mail?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   

I have been using MSN Hotmail ever since I've had a computer, but then Microsoft forced me to switch to Windows Live Hotmail (I had no choice in the matter), and it gave me all kinds of problems. So I switched to Comcast which is my ISP, and I like it much better. I never liked Outlook Express. I used it once and never again.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 11:34 pm:   

P.S. I also have a Yahoo email account. It's free, and it's very dependable. My niece has always used Yahoo for her email and has never had any complaints. It only takes a few minutes to set up the email account on Yahoo. I upgraded to Windows 7 and don't like it as much as XP. Microsoft has not been one of my favorites lately.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 12:34 am:   

Kathy. Please excuse my lack of postings to you. Although I am feeling a bit better I am just not spending enough time here. Taking my son back and forth to school just about takes all the energy I have. And then I still have to fix dinner. So relax. I will still answer your questions. And since Richard will gone for a few days I will try and join in more.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6094
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 2:39 am:   

Welcome back Mike! Knowing that the forum is in such capable hands will ensure that worrying about it doesn't put me off my beer. You have made one publican very happy........ (I say ONE....but....)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:36 am:   

I'm just glad you're not mad at me, Mike. You know how paranoid I can get, among my other faults which we need not discuss here, especially since everyone can guess what most of them are.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration