Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Haystack « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 3:27 pm:   

Is Haystack #456444321 winnable. I'm on an incredible winning streak and hate to break it. It looks winnable to me, but my eyes have deceived me before.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 4015
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   

Sorry Kathy, doesn't look winnable at all.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 4:50 pm:   

Haystack #628713409. Here's another one for you Richard. I hope you don't mind. Take your time. I'm still struggling with Pitchfork and getting nowhere.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 6:10 pm:   

Looks winnable but I'm getting nowhere with it! I think I've tried every combination of opening moves possible, all to no avail. The kings are blocking everything.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 12:35 am:   

Thanks. That's the problem I was having, those 2 kings in the reserve.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 2:01 am:   

Haystack #36004986. I hope we have better luck with this one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4020
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:36 am:   

I don't think it's possible to score more than 5 with this one Kathy. Another one with a particularly unhelpful Reserve. You are dredging up some ugly ones!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 11:50 am:   

Haystack #1566115843. Looks unwinnable because of the two 6's in the reserve, but wanted to make sure.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   

At last! A winner! Looks like a loser all the way but I found a way to hit it for six.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1566115843_Gone_for_six.pgs (1.1 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 4:10 pm:   

Haystack #1566115848. Can't get anywhere with it. BTW, I'm having trouble with the incompetence of the US Post Office and 2 book sellers. I ordered 2 books, paid extra to have them delivered in 2 days, and not only has one not been delivered, but the one that was delivered was the wrong book. The US Post Office assured me my book would arrive today, which it didn't, and I'm losing my temper. Even though I don't condone it, I can see why people go crazy and take out their frustrations on incompetent companies and government agencies. They even lost my social security check once, but I managed to catch them before they left my area. Thanks for listening. If I didn't tell anyone, I think I'd go crazy myself.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4022
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:40 pm:   

I came close to telling you that this one is unwinnable, but then I spotted something I'd failed to see previously. From the screenshot hit the Reserve.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1566115848_Venomous.pgs (1.0 k)

I have to admit that I couldn't help laughing at your brush with the US Post Office. Ours is every bit as bad. I see no reason why you cannot give people like this a piece of your mind. They are getting well paid to do a job and they are failing miserably.
I sent a blinder of an email to our vehicle licensing mob a few days ago. If you do a lousy job you should not include a "feedback" feature in your website. I have the greatest respect for Walt Disney and apologise to them for calling our DVLA a Mickey Mouse shambles.
Another thing that's got me upset just now is the Winter Olympics. When I Google that subject I do not expect to be "informed" that England are playing some other team at something or other. Great Britain, or the United Kingdom are competing in the event, not England. This resulted in me posting comments to that effect. The most infuriating one is our men's Curling team. To call them the English team is disgraceful. As previously mentioned they are the U.K. team, and furthermore they are ALL Scottish.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:48 pm:   

I really like the Great Britain women's curling skip. She is a Scottish lass. And she plays the pipes too. And she is a good golfer. What more could you ask for.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   

Richard, I appreciate your understanding. I thought my Irish temper was at work again. But one of my pet peeves, probably the most, is incompetence in people who have no excuse to be that way. I've had a terrible life, but I always make sure I do the very best I can in spite of everything. Also, good for you and your anger at the Olympics. I'm an Anglophile at heart, despite being Irish, and I believe Great Britain is great! BTW, what is curling? I don't follow the Olympics, although I hear the USA is doing well.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   

The gold medal in Curling goes to the best hairdresser on ice skates. Ok I am joking.
In curling you have these round stones. They are made in Scotland. The have a handle on the top. You slide the stone along the ice and try to get in a circle. That is the simplistic answer. The Americans are failing miserably. To explain all the ins and outs of strategy would take forever. The stones will curl (move from left to right or right to left) depending on how you start them out. Hence the name of the game.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4023
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 6:45 pm:   

Yes Mike, The ladies skipper is certainly not hard on the eye. She reminds me of Liz's daughter as a matter of fact.

Kathy, We are entitled to expect people to be able to do the job they are getting paid for. A smile and a please and thank you wouldn't go amiss either. I'd have got a clip round the ear from my mother if I had neglected my manners.
Curling is a game traditionally played on frozen ponds etc and, like golf, originates in Scotland. The stones revolve slightly as the move across the ice to their target. They don't follow a straight line, hence the name Curling. They are all made of granite quarried on the little island of Ailsa Craig. We may go there this year. There is a ruined Tower-House there that we've not bagged yet. We've taken photos of well over 200 Scottish castles. We'll hit 300 yet, maybe 400.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 9:12 pm:   

Haystack #1566115852 -- check please. Is Mike talking about the Americans failing miserably in curling? Because today I heard they won 8 gold medals (not in curling).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 2:19 am:   

The US currently has 6 gold medals, six silver and eight bronze. We will not get any kind of medal in curling. Unless all the rest of the teams fall through the ice. But I enjoy watching. I am hopeing for another miracle on ice with the men's and women's hockey teams. They both have a good chance for medals I just want them to be gold. But it will be difficult.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4025
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 5:29 am:   

Another misshapen Haystack Kathy! I can only score 8, but it looks winnable. The problem is that all of the eights are in hostile places. Will keep working at it.
I'm not keen on the Winter Olympics. It leans heavily towards countries that have prolonged winters. Mind you, if this winter is anything to go by, it looks like the U.K., particularly Scotland, could produce some stars of the future. We do well in low budget affairs like Curling, but things like Ice Hockey have never really caught on here. There are only about 30 ice rinks in Britain,including the eight Scottish ones.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4026
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 6:46 am:   

Haystack #1566115852 is unwinnable in my opinion. It is just a single move away from being winnable but there is no way to make that happen.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 6:47 am:   

It's funny that Canada which is known for its winters is short of snow. Of course, here in the US we have plenty to give them if they want it. We're used to prolonged winters, and we also love ice hockey. I don't follow the Olympics except for what I see on the news. I'm not a big sports fan. I'd rather read and follow politics any day rather than watch sports. BTW, you might be interested to know that my dream has always been to travel to Great Britain, but it's too late now. I wonder if you can do that when you go to Heaven? That would be my only chance.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 7:31 am:   

Richard, check out the e-mail I just sent you. How about: So That's Fine with U? (just off the top of my head)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 9:38 am:   

Aye Kathy, Some of us have a habit of leaving things too late. I had no holidays for decades but myself and Liz are making up for it belatedly. You can see a lot of places we've been at this link. Mainly Scotland and the north of England. We'd like to go to Wales and Ireland before the year is out. http://community.webshots.com/user/ElizabethMcD/st ats
Got your email Ken. We like to go to somewhere that's fairly unusual.
How about these Olympics then? They could do with a revamp. I would certainly tune in to watch a downhill slalom bike race, or perhaps a last-man-standing snowball fight. Wotcha fink mate?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 9:58 am:   

Richard, both of my sisters went to London and Ireland. They said Ireland was so beautiful mostly because it was so marvelously green.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4036
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 5:24 pm:   

The south west is our #1 target in Ireland. We've made friends with a young couple down in Dirleton. He is Irish and he rates this part very highly.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 5:59 pm:   

That's where my sister said it was the nicest. In fact, there's a famous castle there that she just loved. I wish I could remember the name. You see it in a lot of pictures of Ireland. When you're there, if you have a chance, kiss the Blarney Stone for me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 6:27 pm:   

"Kiss the Blarney Stone" at Blarney Castle. Was that it?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   

No, the castle she was talking about wasn't Blarney. I'll ask her the name when I talk to her next week and where it is. She has a picture of it on her wall. BTW, both my sisters were too afraid to kiss the Blarney Stone, but I would have given it a whirl.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 9:08 pm:   

I forgot. Need help with Haystack #789908160.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4041
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:15 am:   

My apologies Kathy, I forgot about the Rules for Haystack. I will have to replay some of the other ones in this thread just for my own curiosity. There may be a winner amongst them.
application/octet-stream
Haystack_789908160_Rules.pgs (1.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:18 am:   

Richard, what are you doing up so early in the morning? I still don't understand our time differences. Here, it is 4:17 a.m. on Sunday. I'm confused.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:32 am:   

Having a few problems with my PC this morning after reinstalling Google Chrome. I have finally relocated my solution in my PC. Chrome wouldn't let me open the one I posted above! Anyway, here is the screenshot.

If we go to Blarney you can bet your life that I'll kiss the stone after trailing all the way there.
By the time I finish typing this it will be about 10.32 in the morning. (Sun.21st).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 3:31 pm:   

Haystack #1350856847. I don't think it's winnable but wanted to check before I gave up on it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4053
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   

It is very difficult Kathy and involves moving lots of cards in and out of the Reserve. I can post screenshots if you want but I think they would be of little help. Ask if you want to try it though.
application/octet-stream
Haystack_1350856847_Difficult.pgs (1.4 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 5:15 pm:   

What the heck. You might as well give it a try.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 11:41 am:   

Haystack #1428395650. Everybody's quiet today.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   

Thanks for the game Kathy. I hate it when it's quiet.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1428395650_Thanks.pgs (0.9 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   

Having problems with Haystack #1428395654. I wish that was my only problem. I've been sleeping a lot lately so I don't have to think about food. No Social Security til March 3rd. Might literally have to live on bread and water (or thank God tea) for the next week.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 1:59 pm:   

You must see someone about your predicament Kathy. Your health will suffer if you don't have a proper diet.
From the screenshot position play the first column into the empty column.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1428395654_Haynaker.pgs (1.3 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   

I had to use your solution. I have no idea how you got the 8D and 9S onto the 6H, especially since I've got the rest of your screenshot just as you show it. But I still have the 8D and 9S in the 7th column.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 5:19 pm:   

The 9S was already on the 6H. I didn't move it until late in the game. Remember that you can put cards back into the Reserve.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 9:27 pm:   

Good morning. Need help with Haystack #1428395655.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 4:16 am:   

Good morning Kathy, (apart from the weather).

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1428395655_Morning.pgs (1.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 4:59 am:   

Thanks Richard. We keep having snow here in the Midwest (I live at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, and we get a lot of lake-effect snow), and the eastern part of the US is having another blizzard. I'm sick of snow.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 5:39 am:   

We are all sick of snow. We caught the edge of another snowstorm yesterday, getting 4 inches overnight. Other nearby areas got up to SIX times that! The Roads Report for this area and further north was dreadful. All of the main roads north to Inverness were blocked. I have never heard a list of "roads closed" anything like as lengthy as yesterday's. Many many more roads were "passable with care" but the police were advising people not to travel at all.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 510
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:27 am:   

No words, just pictures:

In (?) night they are transporting snow with trucks out of the town, but it's not snowing any more by now. We hope this keeps (?) on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4106
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:48 am:   

Some parts of central Scotland had 24 inches (60cms) of snow in 24 hours yesterday. We'd all settle for some global warming right now.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 11:30 am:   

Maximum this year was about 40 inches (100 cm) at once (?). I hope this snow is snowing down in Scotland, Norway, Sweden and did not reach (?) (come to (?)) Estonia.
Maybe we should go to Vancouver. There has been the warmth january since temperature registration (?).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4110
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   

....does not reach (or, does not come to).
The warmest january on record (or, since records began).

Vancouver will probably have heavy snow all summer. We don't want to hog it all, do we?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   

What's SNOW?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   

It's a bit like dandruff. Sorry. Bad description. You'll not have seen much of that for a decade or two. It's that cold white stuff that arrives by road at Vancouver. You will be wishing you had some when Californians start melting this summer. Something like self-basting turkeys.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4113
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 4:21 pm:   

Here is some snow for you to study Mike. Some of my garden is buried underneath it. I wonder if I could claim for dependents in my tax return? We have an enormous family! Waiting for breakfast.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 4:41 pm:   

Are those birds I see in the trees? If they are, they look like they're waiting for something. Anyway, I'm having trouble with Haystack today. This time it's #1428395656. You'll be glad to know that I solved four Pitchfork games on my own today.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4114
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   

Yes, they are waiting for me to feed them their breakfast. I clear the snow on a daily basis so the food doesn't sink and get lost.
Your Haystack is complicated and involved a lot of moves in and out of the Reserve.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1428395656_Breakfast.pgs (1.6 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 5:10 pm:   

Richard, don't you have different birds in Scotland than the US has? My 3 favorite birds here are the robin, the cardinal and the mourning doves. They all three have distinctive songs, and the cardinal is beautiful to see bright red against the white snow. Oh no? I said that word - snow!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 5:36 pm:   

We have some birds in common with USA, but the ones that I see most in my garden are these.

Left the right,Blue Tit,Chaffinch, Great Tit, Robin, Starling. I sometimes get 50= Chaffinches in the garden at one time. The Starlings frequently number 200 - 300. (Our Robin is much smaller than yours. In fact it is not much bigger than this illustration.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 1:05 am:   

"Left the right"? You meant left to right or? (I just want to know for my own, if i have it right in mind or if i have to change it.)
The Great Tit is also very common (?) in Estonia. They also wait for there daily meal, but i can't get anymore (?) through the snow to their feeding place.
BUT: it is melting (?). (The whole night.)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 2:06 am:   

We have a tufted titmouse that I used to see a lot in my garden near my feeder. I wonder if it's related to those birds above? No cardinals or blue jays? They must be native to America. But we do have our share of starlings. There's an interesting historical story about the starlings, but I forgot what it was. I'll have to google it since I lost all of my bird books.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 3:23 am:   

Haystack #1428395661. Can't get anywhere with the reserves.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 5:15 am:   

You have similar birds to us although the species have been separated for so 1000's of years and have evolved differently.
Your Haystack is very tricky. There are lots of moves in and out of the reserve but I also found it necessary to take cards back off the foundations more than once. Good luck. You are going to need it.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_1428395661_Difficult.pgs (1.4 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 3:07 pm:   

Haystack #1428395662. Another one I'm having trouble starting out. Problems again with the reserves. If you could give me some opening moves, I could try it on my own, if you want to.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   

I don't think this one is winnable Kathy.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 9:17 am:   

Need help with Haystack #2000047589 please.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 10:04 am:   

It only takes ten moves to reach the screenshot position. Then the KH goes into the empty column. You can get column 1 emptied almost immediately after that.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_2000047589_New.pgs (0.4 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 4:59 pm:   

Haystack #2000047594. In case anybody is interested, just heard Canada won the hockey game in the Olympics beating the US in overtime.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 5:43 pm:   

Not the way I wanted the hockey to turn out. But it was a really good game.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4141
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 6:19 pm:   

Now that you're finished with the hockey Mike, have a go at Haystack #2000047594. It is an absolute stonker.
I will post the solution tomorrow Kathy, (so other players can have a bash at it). I could give you six screenshots and you'd still be a long way from a solution.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 4:09 am:   

Here is the solution for Haystack #2000047594. It is extremely difficult. Just figuring out how to make a start is bad enough.
application/octet-stream
Haystack_2000047594-The_Pits.pgs (1.4 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   

Haystack #2000047606. It looks easy, but I can't get anywhere with it. Quiet day today after a busy morning.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4149
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 5:16 pm:   

3 appears to be the top score I'm afraid.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 2:38 am:   

Good morning. Couldn't sleep. Got up at 1:30 am, did an easy Haystack, and now I'm stuck on Haystack #701144002.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4150
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 5:04 am:   

A gentler start to my Solitaire day.
From the screenshot,move the QS and the 2S up onto the stock.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_701144002_Insomnia.pgs (1.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 3:03 pm:   

I must not be thinking clearly today. Need help with Haystack #2000047595.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 3:08 pm:   

The story about the startlings is that they are all descendants of approximately 60 birds released in 1890 in Central Park, New York, by a member of the Acclimation Society of North America reputedly trying to introduce to North America every bird species mentioned in the works of William Shakespeare.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4153
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 3:50 pm:   

Interesting story about the starlings. We have a load of non native bird and animal species in the UK. Some are more troublesome than others. There is a population of Indian Ringneck Parakeets in the south of England. Apparently their ancestors were released in the 60's by Jimmi Hendrix. They survive the snow and everything. The species that I hate the most are the North American Grey Squirrels. They are pretty, amusing little animals but they have decimated the population of the gorgeous native Red Squirrel. Apparently a line has been drawn across the country and any found north of that line will now be culled.
Your Haystack is a baddie. I am thinking clearly enough and it gave me a lot of problems. I'm not surprised that it frustrated your efforts.
application/octet-stream
Haystack_2000047595_Hendrix.pgs (1.2 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 2:40 am:   

I didn't know that about the gray squirrels. I have to say though that I love them. Their antics in trying to eat the food I put out for the birds are hilarrious, and they usually succeed. Once one of them actually knocked on my patio window because I hadn't put out the bird seed yet. Have you ever seen a black squirrel? They are rare, but my niece saw one in Michigan. I have yet to see one. I did see a black rabbit though. As you can tell, I love all critters.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 2:42 am:   

BTW, do you have any remedy I might not know about for a headache? I've had a bad one for 2 days and don't have the money to get my usual narcotic pain pills. Tylenol and aspirin don't even touch it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 4:43 am:   

My only suggestion for your headache is that it could be caused by eye strain, so turning down the brightness of your PC monitor could help. I am one of the fortunate few who rarely get headaches but I had a number of them several months back. It transpired that a lamp close to our TV was the cause. Shifting it out of my field of vision cured the problem.
Grey squirrels are very common in the UK. Sadly they carry a virus that kills the much smaller native Red Squirrels. Black squirrels are a mutation and they have also been in the news here. They are very aggressive towards any other squirrels. I'd not be surprised if there were calls to eradicate all of those.

I took this picture on the outskirts of Aberdeen. We don't want to lose this species.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 4:50 am:   

I forgot about the rabbits. There are a few places where we regularly see black rabbits. I think they probably derived from pets that had been deliberately released. We see them in the same areas year after year, so they are obviously breeding true. They appear to be quite a bit smaller than normal rabbits.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 5:06 am:   

I'll try turning down the brightness of my monitor. I notice that after sitting at the computer, I can't see the TV well. So there may be some truth to what you say. I think the black rabbit I saw was a pet, because I never saw another one. Is the virus indiginous to the gray squirrels in Britain? I haven't heard about that problem here. Thanks for the picture of the red squirrel. I'm going to print it out and put it on my wall along with my other animal pictures. I'm getting quite a collection, although they're mostly pictures from magazines as I can't afford to buy real pictures. But that makes my walls unique.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 6:35 am:   

Another thing to think about is air fresheners, perfumes, deodourants and the likes. Watch out for any that make you sneeze,start your nose running or make you blink your eyes.
Your Greys have the virus too. It doesn't affect them. They are just carriers. I suppose it acts as a defence mechanism of sorts.
I will see if I can locate the full size photo of the squirrel and upload it to the Kathy Quade thread. (This one is heavily cropped and shrunk in size). This may not be today. Because of it's width it would make it difficult to read ensuing posts if I put it in this thread.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 6:47 am:   

Thanks Richard. That will save me time and effort in trying to enlarge it myself; I'm not very good at it. Re my headaches, my whole family has suffered from headaches -- mother, father, sisters and niece. I've been having them since I was a child. Of course, we had a very stressful family life, so that might explain everything, especially since my stress has never really gone away.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 9:10 am:   

Need help with Haystack #1205601544. No hurry. Got my Social Security check today and am going to pick up my prescriptions. Have to take the senior citizen bus, so it takes a while as they have other people to pick up and drop off. It beats paying the money to take a taxi, but it tires me out and I usually come home and go to bed.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:13 am:   

Sorry about #1205601544. It's refusing to talk to me.
Now that you have your cheque, please get your food bought for the next four weeks before you think about spending money on anything else. There are low priced,high value foods out there. Porridge is wholesome and satisfying. Baked beans on toast costs very little. Pasta is another good one. A bit of forward planning will prevent you living on a starvation diet at the end of the month. In the UK your prescriptions would be free, but there is nothing you can do about that.
I have uploaded your squirrel photo into the thread bearing your name. Take care.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   

My problem is I have to pay a lot of money for rent not only to make sure I live in a safe environment, but mostly because rents are so high. In fact, my sister has to help me every month. After I pay my rent, which is over half of what I earn from Social Security, and after I pay my monthly bills for utilities, etc., I have practically nothing to live on to buy food let alone anything for myself. My only luxury is my cable bill so I can have my computer. But enough of that. I'm having problems with Haystack #459999266. Talk to you in the morning.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 5:54 am:   

It look me a minute or two before it dawned on me how best to tackle Haystack #459999266. After that it wasn't too difficult.
You should be able to get to the screenshot position quite easily. The first moves were 8C down,4C over,KS up into the stock. Move the JD onto the QC. Soon after that see if you can get the AH out before you release the AS.
Your rent is the killer Kathy. It's a pity your sister couldn't come and stay with you. That would be a financial boost for both of you. Elderly people in the UK frequently live rent free because of Housing Benefit. The vast majority get a good percentage of their rent paid by the state. My mother owned her own house and she still got Housing Benefit as if she had had a landlord. Our senior citizens get looked after very well.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_459999266_Dawn.pgs (1.0 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 6:08 am:   

I wanted to live with my sister, but she wants to live alone. We are two completely different personalities. I'm outgoing and talkative. She's quiet and only wants to talk when she feels like it. Also, I have a cat, and she does not want a cat in her house. So that option is out. We do have something called section 8 which is housing for low-income people, but there are so many in the area that there is a huge waiting list, and it's almost impossible to get ahead on the list.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 9:15 am:   

It's a pity that you can't share with your sister, but that's life I'm afraid. There is a lot of truth in the belief that God gave us friends to make up for the relatives we have. Whatever! You seem to have all the angles covered. At least you are thinking things through and exploring the possibilities that could improve your life. There is clearly plenty of activity in the old grey matter. There is an old saying that "Life is what you make it", but it is frequently a case of it being what other people make it.
I don't do compliments or flattery, but you have gone up a lot in my estimation. Walk tall.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 9:36 am:   

Thanks. That means a lot to me, especially since I'm considered a failure among just about everybody. What everybody doesn't know is that I've never given up despite enormous suffering and difficulties in life and managed to get by when others would have given up long ago. BTW, I just solved a very difficult Haystack by myself. It took me at least 10 different tries, but I got it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4167
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10:20 am:   

Pay less attention to the negative opinions of others Kathy. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone". We are back to "Do unto others...etc"
Well done with the difficult Haystack. "If at first you don't succeed, try,try again". This was drummed into us in Primary School and highlighted by a very early historical reference.
http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_history_bruce_ page03.
"Cliche Man" has got some more painting to do. Sigh.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 3:49 pm:   

I am afraid Haystack #459999273 might not be a winner, but I defer to the master to prove me wrong (or anybody else for that matter).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 11:41 am:   

Richard, before you leave (if you haven't already), is Haystack #459999273 winnable? I don't know if you forgot about it or are still working on it, but it doesn't matter, I just want to keep on with the game without another loss if possible.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   

Haystack #459999273 is winnable but quite difficult. It had me going for a while anyway! It didn't help that I was playing with the harder Pitchfork rules.
A screenshot if you want to give it a go yourself. The next move is the 4H onto the reserve.

application/octet-stream
Haystack_459999273_Parting.pgs (1.2 k)

We will be leaving some time tomorrow morning.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   

I hope you and Liz have a wonderful trip. Enjoy yourselves. You deserve a break after all your hard work at home and here in our little forum.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 9:15 am:   

>Have you ever seen a black squirrel? They are rare, but my niece saw one in Michigan. I have yet to see one.

Yeah, they are not particularly rare here in East Lansing. We have several who make our yard part of their territory, and a cute one who sometimes waits for us on our porch to ask for nuts. (We are very obliging. :-))

>Grey squirrels are very common in the UK. [...] Black squirrels are a mutation and they have also been in the news here. They are very aggressive towards any other squirrels.

That is interesting. Our red squirrels (perhaps different from those in the UK), though undeniably cute, are particularly aggressive and are considered vermin. We see them chasing the larger black (and brown) squirrels all of the time. (Much of the cuteness wears off when they get into the attic and keep us awake at night.)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:00 am:   

I've never seen a red squirrel. We have only the gray ones here in Northwest Indiana, and even though they are pests around the bird feeders, you have to love them.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 4:04 pm:   

Can someone help me with Haystack #534703467? I think it is unwinnable, but I have been wrong before.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:31 am:   

Another Haystack I need help with -- #901600643. Again, it seems unwinnable to me, but I want to make sure.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   

I'm having a terrible time. Two more Haystacks: #206138657 and #1032462913. Apparently, no one plays Haystack but me.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:24 am:   

Sorry Kathy. I am totally inept at Haystack and Pitchfork.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 3:40 am:   

Hi Kathy,
Haystack#206138657 is winnable. Here is the solution.
application/octet-stream
Haystack_206138657.pgs (1.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 3:55 am:   

I think #1032462913 is probably unwinnable.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 4:48 am:   

Trisha, you forgot to give me the solution to #206138657.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 7:39 am:   

Kathy, The solution is there. For some reason is way off to the right side of my post.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 11:04 am:   

Thanks Trisha. I got it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 4:37 am:   

Is Haystack #1833283967 winnable? I've been having bad luck winning this game lately, winning one and then losing the next.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:42 am:   

Your Haystack is unwinnable Kathy.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 11:49 am:   

Get ready for some difficult ones. That's the way they have going lately. BTW, I'm going to see my sister some time this week. I'll ask her the name of that castle I told you about. Hope it's in the Southwest.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:30 pm:   

Got through a couple of easy ones, but having problems with #1191215874. Don't know what to do with the two red 3's in the reserves as the black 4's are buried deep in column one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4183
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 1:06 pm:   

I can only score THREE with it!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   

I told you so. Haystack has done a complete turnaround from an occasional loser to an almost every-other loser. Well, on to the next after my nap.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   

Uh Oh. Here we go again (as our former President Reagan used to say). Haystack #1065194947 -- I can get 1 point and then I have no where to go. I'm getting frustrated, and not only with Haystack but also with this posting problem. Not a nice way to start a new week.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 4:15 am:   

I know it's entirely selfish but I quite like when you dredge up a lot of these brain-busters. This is a little beauty!
The screenshot gives you my early moves. Note what's in the Reserve pile at this point. It took 8 moves to get here.

Now move the 4H onto the 5C and the JD into the space. The QS and the JD now go onto the KH. I now took the 4S back down so that the 9S and the 8D can go onto the 10H in column 1. (You may need the solution).
application/octet-stream
Haystack_1065194947_Beauty.pgs (1.3 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 4:19 am:   

Going to start a new Haystack thread to see if this helps. Will probably start another Pitchfork one too.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration