Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Carthage « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 571
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 5:41 am:   

Does anyone play Carthage? I play it all the time just to relax and forget everything else and play a fun game. However, I think there may be a strategy involved. I noticed on the stats that there were some 100% scores. When I play, I score by the luck of the cards drawn. If I replay the game a couple of times, I may get a little higher score but not much. My score so far is 15%, and I'm not that far from the top of the list. Even though I play this game for fun, I'd like to do better and also would like to find out how those with the 100% got there. Any feedback?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 5:46 am:   

I stand corrected on one point. There is only one person who scored 100%.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 6:04 am:   

Hi Kathy

you are better than me
my score is 3.7%
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 6:11 am:   

Do you agree, Paul, that it's just the luck of the cards and not strategy?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 6:44 am:   

I looked at the rules, and they say the game is "mostly skill." If that is true, why no high scores?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 4547
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 10:16 am:   

I'd agree that there is a LOT of luck involved in Carthage, mainly getting a favourable selection of cards in the deal. Thereafter skill is involved in making the most of what you have. Skill/Luck balanced would be a better description.
I just picked a game at random. The first one that came up. Game 170209697. It is winnable and I would class it as easy. I then played the next nine consecutively from there. I lost 7 and won another 2, making 33.3%. The other winners were 170209703 and 170209705. Both of those took quite a lot of skill in my opinion.
You are not obliged to fill empty spaces. I don't know if that would ever be particularly helpful. One strategy that is is to take cards back down from the foundations in order to sort fragmented piles. You could have three columns blocked with consecutive diamonds and be unable to get them all onto the same column. If you already had a pile of diamonds on the foundations you could take them back down and put up the three fragmented ones instead. So instead of having one empty column you now have three. A skillful ploy.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 11:32 am:   

In my experience, I found I can only take cards down from the foundation when there's an empty space in the reserves. I've tried the other way, putting them on top of other cards in the reserves, but it won't let it happen. I'll try not to fill empty spaces, and see if that helps. You will concede though that you have to play the game more than once to get a good score unless you're just dealt a lucky hand.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   

If you have an empty column in the Tableau you can take cards down from the Foundations into it. You cannot build on top of cards in the Reserve, but you can move any card into an empty Reserve pile. I said that it is not compulsory to fill an empty column before you deal more cards BUT "I don't know if that would ever be particularly helpful". Perhaps a situation could occur where that would work for you, but it's doubtful. I played 10 consecutive games from a random start and won 3 of them. Unless everyone else could win those three it suggests that skill play a big part.
Take a good look at what you are dealt before you decide whether to play that deal or look for a better one. Your stats will improve as a result.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 578
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 1:14 pm:   

It would have to be an open game then. I'll look and see. I played 2 of your winning numbers so far, and it took me quite a few tries before I won them. I kept trying because I knew they were winnable, but without winning numbers, what's your opinion on when to give up, or do you think, as I thought at one time, that if you keep playing a game, you can win it?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 1:35 pm:   

With every card that you play you are making informed decisions provided you are not rushing things. You should have a fair idea if you made any 50/50 decisions where another option was available. If that is the case you backtrack and try the other option. Once you've exhausted those you have to give up. Following on from the set I played, 170209707, and 170209715 are also winnable.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 580
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 1:53 pm:   

Richard, your suggestions have really helped me. I look at the game a little differently now, and I just won a game that I didn't know was winnable or not. Thanks for the winning numbers. They help me see how to maneuver things.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 2:26 pm:   

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration