Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Miscellaneous « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:52 am:   

I started this thread in case anybody wants to discuss any subject at all. Is everyone taking off for the summer?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   

I'm taking my jacket off.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   

Yes. I want to talk about people who always want to express their opinion. Except me of course. Be alert! The country needs more Lerts!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5335
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 3:22 pm:   

Yes Mike. Be sharp, but not acute. You're cute enough already.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   

Finally someone noticed. I must go to the beach and see if any of the bunnies think so too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5336
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   

Hop to it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   

Richard, I was rummaging through my old box of vid/eos and came across a bunch of "Are You Being Served?" I haven't watched that show in years. I had forgotten how funny it was. I'm going to watch my Fawlty Towers next. It's not so bad not having regular TV. I'm watching a better class of shows. Except in the fall, I'll miss watching my favorite show, House, with Hugh Laurie. Sigh!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 4:53 pm:   

Kathy, I know your cable was cut off, but can't you get the basic channels free over the airwaves? (And I know it's none of my business, so I apologize in advance, but if you can't afford cable, how can you afford the Internet?)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 1:16 am:   

Mu sister pays for the internet so I would have something to do since I'm home so much. She also pays for the phone which I need in case of an emergency. She used to pay for the cable, but I had to cut down somewhere which is why I canceled the cable so I could take $50 off the rent I owe her every month as she also has to help me pay the rent. I can't get the basic channels since I don't have an antenna, and those "rabbit ears" don't work. I have a very confusing life, don't I? I try not to complain too much as there are a lot of poorer people than me. But I've worked since I was 16 years old, and I get hardly anything from Social Security disability. I guess I didn't plan on getting cancer and not being able to work anymore. I don't know what I'll do if my sister had to stop helping me, but I'm not going to worry about it. You'll be happy to know I can still watch daily Mass on the net. That's more important than Hugh Laurie (sigh!).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 7:17 am:   

Kathy, have you ever gone to hulu.com? You can watch episodes of House there. It's free for the time being at least. If you don't mind me being nosy again, what kind of cancer do you have? Hopefully it's in remission.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 8:02 am:   

Thanks for the tip about hulu. I had ovarian cancer which has been in remission for 10 years now. However, I have had lasting effects from the chemotherapy, thus not being able to work.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5355
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 9:51 am:   

You're not in remission Kathy, you're cured. If it's not being too intrusive, what lasting effects do you have from chemo? Feel free to tell Ken and I to sod off.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:31 am:   

Some of the side effects included severe anemia, neuropathy (nerve damage) in my legs and other organs, my eyesight was permanently damaged, recurrent headaches, can't walk more than a block or two before I fall, falling for no reason. A lot of these were conditions that I had had before but were intensified or else came back due to the chemo (except for the neuropathy, that was new). Some of the others are a little too embarrassing to talk about. Don't forget, chemotherapy dru/gs are poisonous not only to the cancer cells but all the cells in the body. One woman I knew had a heart attack and died after her chemo, so I was lucky I didn't have anything worse.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5357
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:57 am:   

Don't forget I was in a chemo ward approximately every two weeks for several years. I've seen a lot that I'd rather have missed. I made friends with many people who didn't last the course. We all have something wrong with us. It's part and parcel of getting old. "Time and tide" etc. You've just got to make the best of what you have. So many people fail to make it into their teens, far less their 60's. People die all the time. I knew a woman who died of vanity. She insisted in having an op for varicose veins. We should all make the most of whatever time we have left. Many people would be delighted to trade places with us.
BTW, the Pope is to visit Scotland soon. Edinburgh, then Glasgow, and only after those will he go south of the border. 1000 Pipers are to be on Princess Street in Edinburgh. We will try to be there. Many non-Catholics will do likewise.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 11:18 am:   

I count myself lucky actually. Ovarian cancer has only a 50% survival rate, and I was Stage III. Stage IV is the worst. But I had the best doctor who was aggressive and supportive at the same time. However, if the cancer ever returns, I'm not sure if I would go through that again. The side effects during the chemo were so bad, I was in the emergency room every 3 weeks after I would come home from the hospital. One funny thing is that I never thought of dying from the cancer even though my sister died of brain cancer. Like you say, I'm lucky I'm in my 60's and can still function. I don't mind being sick most of the time. I just offer it up. I hope there's no trouble when the Pope comes to Great Britain. I keep reading all the rumors going about. If you're there, let me know if he looks like he does on the TV or if he looks different in person.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5358
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   

If I can manage to go I won't be going without my camera Kathy, you can bet your life on that. High profile visits like this always start in London. To fly directly to the Scottish capital will stand him in good stead here. Good luck to the man. He will be going to the Palace of Hollyrood. Liz and I visited there two weeks ago. It's quite nice.

The little bit you can see at the left of shot is the ruined Hollyrood Abbey.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   

Isn't Hollyrood Castle where Mary Queen of Scots resided while still in favor?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5359
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   

Yes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   

With all the publicity that the Gulf Oil Disaster is attracting, this piece of news will probably not make it into the news anywhere outside Scotland.

"It happened 24 years ago and more than 1,300 miles away from the UK. But, for the sheep farmers of Scotland, the effects from the fallout from Chernobyl have only just ended".
"An announcement that the industry is finally free of the radioactive material which forced many of its upland farms to be placed under Food Standards Agency (FSA) restrictions has been hailed as "a blessed relief". Some Scottish farmers have been unable to slaughter, sell or even move their livestock without stringent testing and government pre-approval for the past 24 years".

Let's hope the Gulf gets sorted out more quickly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5366
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   

Better not exclude our neighbours..........
"But in north Wales, 330 farms remain restricted, along with eight in Cumbria. Before farmers in restricted areas can sell or move any of their livestock, they must have each animal tested".
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 3:07 pm:   

Thank you for making that known, Richard. I always keep up with the news but have never heard about the fallout reaching that far. You'll have to keep me updated on anything else interesting since I can only get the headlines now on the net, and not everything (like your above example) gets reported.

BTW, I went for my monthly checkup today, and the doctor is concerned that my blood sugar is high. I have never had high blood sugar, but she is going to do a test for diabetes just to make sure. Let's hope it's just all the cheap starchy foods that I eat that have contributed to this abnormality. Food pantries are very "mean" when it comes to giving out protein.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5369
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   

Apparently there were 9,700 British farms affected by the radiation fall-out from Chernobyl. It's incredible that some are still not clear after 24 years.

Re the blood sugar Kathy, always think positively, but whatever the outcome you'll deal with it. BTW, our main supermarket, Tesco, offers free in-store testing. They were beaten to the punch by leading UK pharmacies who also do it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 3:56 pm:   

We have free testing at times at our drugstores/pharmacies. This test I have to have takes 2 hours, and you have to drink a lot of glucose. I really don't think I have diabetes. I really don't even want the test done as I owe the hospital over $200,000 due to my cancer surgery, etc. I'll have to think it over. I don't know what I'd tell my doctor if I don't have it done. I know I'm not that old, but sometimes I think I've lived long enough, and this world is a little bit too much for me, so I'm leaving it up to the man upstairs.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5372
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 4:12 pm:   

Get it done Kathy. Let them pursue you for their money. They can't get blood out of a stone.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 4:49 pm:   

They once tried to set up a payment plan with me, something ridiculous like $35.00 a month. I told them I'd be dead before even a smidgen of the bill was paid. They haven't come after me for the $200,00, but they do harass me for the smaller ones like lab tests.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   

When I say smaller, I mean $238 for my last cancer screening test. Small to them; impossible for me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 7:01 pm:   

And people knock our National Health Service. Your entire treatment wouldn't have cost you a dime.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 3:04 am:   

I just found this accidentally at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJwgP44Ap9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OleYDoR6mOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCcL0L3KJA&feature =related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIUcbP3_RA
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 3:10 am:   

And one NOT FOR KATHY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WswK9Jldc&feature =channel
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5405
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 5:49 am:   

Oh come on Markus. It's hilarious. It's a gas. You can blame me if you don't think so Kathy. Have a look, but watch it to the end.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 6:51 am:   

I'll look at all of them after Mass (not before in case my mind wanders), which is in a few minutes. I can always use a good laugh.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:11 am:   

They were all hilarious. My favorites were "Think" and "Don't Let the Dog Out".

Speaking of animal tricks. My cat watches me watch Mass every day. Last night, she kept meowing, and I wouldn't pay attention to her. So she laid down on the floor next to me and rolled onto her side and placed her paws together like she was praying. Then she did the same thing, this time on her back. Pretty smart, huh?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:44 am:   

I found the Hippo in The lion sleeps tonight best.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 1:26 pm:   

Dogs and Hippos. Pussycat Dolls for me.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   

But do your pussycat dolls have as much talent as he dog and hippo?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5411
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   

Over to you Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBPN2IVo50&feature =PlayList&p=4C625FB56D0DEED1&playnext_from=PL&play next=1&index=3
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   

Well, I stopped the video halfway through. I still think the hippo and dog have more talent. At least they are more original. I could do what they do, although it wouldn't be a pretty sight.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 4:30 pm:   

Take it away, grandma.

http://www.wikio.com/video/grandma-dancing-3581512
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   

Talent is not important when it comes to certain things. Now a real singing hippo might cause a stir. But not the same kind of stir as the Pussycats.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 7:08 pm:   

You're right. The pussycats will stir up trouble.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 12:01 am:   

Mike, I LOVE the Pussycat Dolls! I saw them in concert a couple of times. I can now die a happy man!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5414
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 5:42 am:   

Ken and Mike think that they are every bit as good with the sound turned off.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 5:43 am:   

I guess the practice of modesty is dead, among both men and women.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 5:48 am:   

"Last night, Prince Charles fulfilled a lifetime ambition by meeting the Pussycat Dolls at the Royal Variety Performance".
The future King is also a fan.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 8:55 am:   

Does anyone wonder why we're not getting many newcomers to the forum? Do they have a feature on facebook that players can ask for help with a game? I noticed that there were quite a lot of players on facebook, which is why I wondered if they were getting their help there and not here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:12 am:   

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't YOU the person who was most anti-Facebook? And where does "getting help" stop and starting cheating begin? The people you are competing against in the Squadron tables would have good reason to consider that YOU are a "cheater".

“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.”
Thomas Warfield (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:05 am:   

A couple reasons why the number of new people coming here is limited: first they have to find the forum (it isn't heavy traffic), second they have to create a forum account before posting (this is necessary to prevent the spam problem). I have to approve all new forum accounts as a guard against spam.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 3:57 pm:   

Kathy. There is no other place for PGS help except here. A number of folks have looked in on the Facebook page. They leave their comments about how much they enjoy the games Thomas has put together for them. The people that play are different in many ways. Some want to just play for the fun of it and don't care that much if a particular hand is winnable or not. So don't fret about how many people we have here on the forum. Just have fun playing.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   

How can I have fun playing now when Richard is accusing me of cheating? I never cheated at Squadron unless he considers asking for help with a game cheating. I'm really hurt, Richard. I don't cheat. I even took off a game I played with the universal number because I thought that wasn't fair. I hope you can explain to me the way in which I cheated in Squadron. I thought we were friends. I don't know what I did wrong to set you off. Plus, I didn't joint Facebook. I just look at the site occasionally to see how many people Thomas has been able to gather.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   

As if I don't have enough to cry about, now I have to cry over a friend's harsh and unfair remarks.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 5:10 pm:   

I'll take my stats off Squadron, start over, and lose the first 50 games so I cannot be accused of cheating. Cheating is a sin, and if I did cheat, then I don't want the stats.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   

I apologize if I caused any ill feeling. Tomorrow, I'm going to clear all of my stats from every game and start all over again. I will not this time, however, ask for any help so that I will not be accused of cheating. I hope that satisfies everyone. Again, I am sorry if I cheated. It was unintentional. I thought it was okay to ask for help. You are all a great bunch of people and have been very kind to me at a time in my life when I really needed some friends.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:25 pm:   

I will not change my stats, however, for Buffalo Bill and Rainbow Fan. I never received help for any of those wins. Sorry I'm going on and on. It's been a bad day.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   

Kathy, you of all people should know that Richard gets cranky from time to time. And he actually does like helping people with their difficult games so don't stop posting them, but maybe you should get off your soapbox about other people cheating. This is supposed to be fun!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   

I never said anything about anyone cheating. But you're right. This is supposed to be fun. It's just not fun to come home and find a post so vicious. Maybe I'm just too sensitive for you guys. I try to live by a very strict moral code, and I'm probably too scrupulous about it. I'm sorry.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 12:55 am:   

Kathy, does this post look familiar:

One of my favorite games is Buffalo Bill. I've got a winning score of 468, and there are people with scores in the thousands ahead of me. Since I like to play it, I want to see how high a score I can get. If I find a game I'm good at but don't like as much, I quit after 50 wins and no losses. By now, I can usually spot the cheaters. They are usually the same people, and so I ignore their stats but still want to see how high I can score.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 4:59 am:   

Everyone knows there are some cheaters but they are in the minority. Most people don't, I think. I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner. I was talking about the obvious ones just to make my point not to point fingers. You're taking me out of context. I hear them talk about people cheating in 101 just to get the high score. Why does no one call them out on it? Why me? In any case, I can joke with the rest of you guys, but I've never been deliberately cruel in my posts; at least I hope not.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 5:46 am:   

You may take it from my lack of posts lately that I am angry with myself, and also pretty embarrassed. Mike sent me an email that made me re-read the one from Kathy that annoyed me. He read it totally differently to me. I went back there and also read it differently. It is ambiguous. It can be read as either harmless comments, or unwarranted attacks on both myself and more importantly, the forum. I reached the WRONG conclusion the first time I saw it.

I wholeheartedly APOLOGISE to you Kathy. I reacted impulsively and just flew off the handle. My response was hurtful,childish and unwarranted.You have every right to be angry with me.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 5:57 am:   

Thank you, Richard. I'm not angry with you. I never was, just hurt. You know how sensitive I am. I was merely trying to explain to you how I like to play the game. But I've got to be honest with you, I still don't know how I cheated at Squadron, but you'll be happy to know I took my stats off just in case I did cheat and didn't know it. It seems I always cause trouble, and I don't know why. You should be glad to know though that you have a lot of friends who stand behind you. I haven't got that many. Maybe I'm too sanctimonious. I'm just trying to be good; it's very hard sometimes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5432
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 6:35 am:   

Thank you for being so understanding Kathy. I don't deserve it. I've been like a ticking bomb lately. Someone was going to get it in the neck. You got someone else's earache. I wish I could retract what I said. Oh that it was that easy.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 7:34 am:   

Kathy, just to clarify, there is no way to cheat at 101. When we are complaining about 101, it is about the way the rules are set up (where cards played are more important than winning percentage), so the people at the top of the stats are not cheaters. They are playing by the rules that Thomas has set up.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 2:33 pm:   

Don't worry about it, Richard. I say stupid things all the time, as you all well know. Besides, you know us Catholics. Forgiveness is our middle name or we have to answer to the man upstairs.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5435
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 2:39 pm:   

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 3:52 pm:   

Ken is correct. Gosh I hate saying that. Some of the people who are in the number 1 spot in 101 are not cheating. It's just the way the rules are. There is no perfect way of judging #1. Winning percentage would be good but it has drawbacks too. Someone plays 2000 hands with one loss. Say it's 1999. Another person has played 500 hands with no losses. Who should be #1. Now you take Pyramid. I have double the wins of the first place player but I also have only half as many points 4500 to 8500. Now if I played each hand very quickly. With no regard to whether I win or not. I will catch up easily. The same is true in a couple of other games that I have stopped playing. It just so happens I like Pyramid. I am always trying to find that hand which can be solved in one deal instead of three.
So what to do. Just keep playing what I want to and don't give a care about other scores. The record speaks for itself.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 4:07 pm:   

MIke, just for information. In the first 5000 games of Free Fan was no looser. It would be interesting if it is possible to create an unwinnable Free Fan game.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5437
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 6:44 pm:   

Perhaps "stats" should be a banned word.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   

Check this out if you're interested in space travel or just plain stupid things people do (at least that's my opinion).

http://www.space.com/news/skydiver-supersonic-spac e-jump-100708.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_mediu m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+spaceheadlines+%28SPAC E.com+Headline+Feed%29
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5442
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 1:47 pm:   

He's certifiable in my humble opinion. I prefer to have a stable grip on terra firma.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 3:41 pm:   

It's so hot outside that I noticed the birds quickly grab their seed and run into the shade. It's a losing battle for me to keep their bird bath cool. As soon as I refill it with cool water, in 5 minutes it's almost boiling.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 4:57 pm:   

Can't you move their water into a shaded area?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 5:02 pm:   

No. It's hooked onto the bird feeder post, and I'd have to unscrew it and might have trouble putting it back on again. If it stays this hot, I might put out a pan of water in the shade so they can have something to drink.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 5:05 pm:   

BTW, I chickened out of going to church tonight. I told her it was too hot and with my head hurting, I didn't want to get sick (which is true). I have permission from the priest to watch Sunday Mass on TV anyway. I guess I'm just a coward. I can't stand confronting anyone to their face, and it might have happened. Anything to keep the peace and make me less afraid.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5469
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   

Use something shallow instead of a pan. Don't want to drown anything. You could also put wet loaf in a shaded spot.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 7:06 pm:   

Thanks. I didn't think about that. I have a shallow plastic dish about 8 inches. That should do the trick.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 3:23 pm:   

KenM. I hope you are looking in. Explain to me some of the unwritten codes of bicycle racing. I was watching the Tour today. Stage whatever it was. The yellow jersy leader lost his chain. Was the race suppose to come to a stop for him? I guess they did earlier on when there was a crash. And now they are saying Schleck was treated unfairly. Are they racing to win or not!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   

There are 2 different schools of thought. Some people (the Americans?) say that Contador did right by blowing by the leader and win at any cost, and the other more genteel people (the Scots?) say you should win by talent and not by taking advantage of soomebody else's bad luck.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   

Thanks Ken. I have since read a few articles on the incident. It seems people are split on it. How does one know if it was bad luck or pilot error. When there is a major crack up I can see the rest of the field holding back. Anyway more controversy is just what cycling needs.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   

Mike, did you see that Contador posted a YouTube yesterday apologizing to his fans for taking advantage of Schleck? I guess he didn't like being booed when he took the podium!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:28 am:   

I did not see that Ken. I did see footage today of Contador and Schleck chatting during the stage. So I guess they have patched things up. But I have a feeling it is not over. Since they are both in position to win. Let's see what happens. I don't really care about the race. I just like looking at the scenery. I can't wait for Bordeaux.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   

It got pretty lonely here today. Did anyone else play PGS besides me?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   

I played a little. Spent most of the day at the golf course.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   

I had to stay in most of the day. The heat is intense. We had a heat index of 108 degrees today and no rain in sight. It keeps hitting Chicago and missing Northwest Indiana.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 7:14 am:   

Richard, I know you're in the pub watching the penultimate day of the Tour de France! Did you see Mark Cavendish's big win on Friday? Every time that they talk about him, they call him the man from the Isle of Man. Have you and Liz ever been there? It's a ferry ride away from the UK so you wouldn't have had to flown there!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 7:59 am:   

I didn't know you were back, Richard? Did you see my question about "Little Picture Gallery"?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 10:16 am:   

Why is no one on the forum anymore? It's lonely here. I miss my friends. Is there something going on that I'm missing?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   

I don't think Richard is back yet. Paul is probably watching the Cricket matches. And Ken is here but spends most of his time dreaming about peddeling up and down mountains. As if he could. This week would have been a great time to bicycle through my part of California. It has been relativly cool. So you will have to wait it out till Richard returns home and goes to work on more painting.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 5:27 pm:   

To dream the impossible dream!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   

I won the 1ST Army entertainment contest with that song. No it was not while riding a bicycle.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   

You have a lot of mountains in California, Mike, or at least hills. Do you bike up them, or better yet, do you bike at all?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 10:20 pm:   

It's bedtime in the Midwest. I think I'd better "get a life". I can't wait around while all of you guys watch your sports or go traveling. I'm stuck in Portage, Indiana. Not much you can do here except watch the gangs walking up and down your street threatening you if you look at them the wrong way. Funny, I never had that problem when I lived in Chicago. Oh, I forgot, you can watch the corn grow.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 8:14 am:   

Kathy, you posted on Friday about how hot it was and no rain in sight. Be careful what you wish for, right? Did you get the 7 inches of rain that Chicago got?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 9:08 am:   

Yep, we got it yesterday and last night. My flower pot on my patio had inches of rain in it, and I had to empty it before the flowers were drowned. Several, however, didn't make it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 2:25 pm:   

I look at my bicycle now and then. But that's all.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5480
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   

I never saw ANY footage of the Tour de France Ken. Mark Cavendish WAS born in the Isle of Man. It is an independent island midway between the UK and Ireland. It has it's own government. Cavendish is a Manxman. The nearest we've got was picking up Manx Radio when we were in Ayrshire a few days ago. We also got Irish TV as our strongest signal further down the coast.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 4:49 pm:   

Well guys, I think you'd be interested to know that in all of my years on the computer, I just got my first (and I hope last) XXX-rated email? I never open mail in my junk folder, but this was in my inbox folder. The words were in red and had lines through them, but I could make out every one. Oh well, at least I didn't get it on Sunday.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5499
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 5:31 pm:   

http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp

This is a great spam filter Kathy. It's totally free. You can block entire domains like the one you mentioned. It will do practically anything you want.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 5:52 pm:   

Will it route Kathy's XXX-rated email to me?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5501
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 6:35 pm:   

Oh dear!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 7:20 pm:   

You can have it Ken. In fact, if I knew you wanted it, I would have emailed it to you before I deleted it. But I don't think you would have wanted to read this one. I wonder how after all these years of computing my name was suddenly selected to receive it. Somebody out there doesn't like me?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5502
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 4:05 am:   

No need to be paranoid about it Kathy. Every time you send or receive an email there is an opportunity for some perv's software to pick up your details. The one that found yours may send out thousands of these things every day. It may even have been gleaned off a friend's PC. Install the software and take control of what you receive.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 5:46 am:   

Yes sir! I was merely pointing out that this was the first time in roughly 20 years I've received such a message. I wonder what the odds are for that happening?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 7:01 am:   

The odds are rising alarmingly for you now Kathy.I'm afraid that the minute you get one you'll get loads more as they pass your details from one crackpot to another. One malware I got a long time ago was called "passiton". I got bombed out for months before I installed the free software. Sometimes 50+ per day. Another warning for you...... If any of them ever give you an option that you can click to "stop" them emailing you again.....DON'T. It will make matters worse.
Have a look at the software. You can "whitelist" all your friends, "blacklist" normal sort of sales junk, and "block" the most offensive ones. The company has a data base of every email that every customer has blocked. If you block one then nobody will get it again unless they actually opt in to receiving whatever variety of crudity it is. Everybody is helping one another.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 7:04 am:   

BTW I was referring to your remark that "Somebody out there doesn't like me" when I said there was no need to be paranoid. Everybody gets this sad garbage.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 8:17 am:   

I will install that software today. I'm glad you gave me the above information. I probably would have clicked "stop". Now I know better. Thanks for keeping me safe from these things. You know how they bother me.

I haven't been paranoid in a while, so I guess I just went back to my old ways. I'll try not to do it anymore.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 8:38 am:   

I don't think my email client is supported by Spamfilter. I have Windows Live Hotmail. The reason i don't think it's supported is that the Spamfighter tool bar didn't show up when I opened up my email.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 8:44 am:   

We're all paranoid at times Kathy. It's nothing to worry about.
BTW there were some interesting articles in the papers whilst we were away. Omega 3 can prevent AMD, the most common eye disorder. It's long been known to be good for the joints and the brain. Also people who take alcohol fairly regularly are far less prone to migraines! It's a funny old world.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 8:56 am:   

Try restarting your PC Kathy.
This is what I get.

The bit where it says "More" is where I can black or whitelist emailers.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 9:40 am:   

I always live by the saying, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!"
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   

I restarted my computer, and it froze after installing my printer icon. I had to restart it again, and it did all kinds of wierd stuff, but I was able to delete Spamkiller this time. I don't have anything called Windows Mail. I have Windows Live Hotmail. Anyway, at least my computer works again. I got scared there for awhile.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 2:44 pm:   

Check out this video. Isn't that Mike in one of those clips?

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2010 /08/06/waterbird/
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5584
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   

Great clip Kathy.
Yes Mike was there. He was looking for Lex Luthor ......... or was it his golf ball?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 5:02 pm:   

Look at you, Kathy, getting funky with it!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5585
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 5:19 pm:   

The walking on water bit had been done before though.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   

Yes, but never bicycling on water. And I see why Mike says he looks good in tights. Those legs!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   

Just finished watching Inspector Lewis on Masterpiece Mystery on my local PBS station. Is anyone else a fan? Next to Inspector Morse, it's my favorite Mystery program.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 11:21 pm:   

Inspector Morse is one of my favorites. Inspector Lewis is good. The references back to Morse are entertaining. But I always thought Morse's theory of the last person to see the corpse alive was the murderer. A person can get to the scene of a poisoning right before someone dies. Or an auto crash set up from sabotaged brakes or steering. Jeremy Bretts portrail of Sherlock Holmes was also interesting. They also stuck a little closer the original stories.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 11:34 pm:   

I think Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes was the best I've ever seen. I have all the episodes on tape. I've also seen every Inspector Morse episode and have almost all the episodes on tape also; just missing the last episode. What's your favorite Morse, Mike? Mine is "Way Through the Woods". If I remember correctly, Morse's theory was disproven in one of the episodes. But he always got his man, as we say here in the States. I should ask Richard if there is anywhere in Great Britain where I could get a poster of Morse and Lewis together to put on my wall.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 12:08 am:   

Good grief. I could not come up with a favorite episode of Morse.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5586
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 4:42 am:   

David Jason in "A Touch Of Frost" is by far the best police drama series ever. Mark McManus run him a close second with "Taggart" the Glaswegian detective.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 4:51 am:   

I could never get into "A Touch of Frost". I liked Prime Suspect, but I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what they were saying.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5589
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 5:58 am:   

I wonder how much coverage this speech got in the USA. There should be plenty of red faces in Washington and beyond.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-10905562
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 7:45 am:   

Didn't get any coverage as far as I know. However, I feel the Cardinal, with all respect, is rather biased in his views. He emphasizes we lack compassion for the bomber, but he does not show any compassion for his victims, at least not in the part of the speech that I read. Also, who the bomber was released to (Khadafi) is shameful. Imagine the feelings of the victim's families when they saw the news clip of him being welcomed by Khadafi as a hero. Again, and I know you do not agree with me, we see another attack on the United States.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 8:23 am:   

P.S. The Cardinal is quick to point out all the evil things that the United States does but conveniently does not mention at all the evil that the Lockerbie bomber did.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5590
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:01 am:   

OMG. It appears that it is OK for the US government and your senators to attack and lambast everyone they see fit but any sort of counter arguement is disqualified for as many fanciful "reasons" that the USA can dream up.
Firstly Cardinal O'Brian is Irish. He would not appear to have any axe to grind. Secondly he is a Chistian, Roman Catholic to be precise, and is duty bound to tell the truth no matter how unpleasant it may appear to anyone who hears it.
He is one of the few people resident in Scotland who is actually at liberty to tell the US public what the LIARS in government would have them ignore.
FACT....George Bush's government tried to do a deal with Gaddafi when Megrahi had only served two years of his sentence. They wanted to swop him for oil concessions.
FACT.... The CIA and MI5 sent representatives to a meeting in LIbya to negotiate a prisoner exchange deal in exchange for oil concessions. These were the UK and USA governments....not the Scottish government. Phony Tony Blair got Gaddafi to A/' admit that Libya had been responsible for the bombing. B/. Give millions of dollars in compensation to the victims of the Lockerbie bombing (many of whom were Scots) and C/. Stop development of nuclear bombs.
In exchange for this BP (almost 50% US owned) would get oil concessions in Libya, and Exxon, an American oil company would get likewise Any mention of Scotland? Nope!
It is also a fact that the Scottish government was prohibited by the USA and the UK governments from disclosing secret communications in which the Obama administration told our first minister that they would prefer Megrahi to be be released rather than be re-imprisoned in Libya under the deal that the USA/UK governments had negotiated.
The Cardinal pointed out as a Christian that the USA was behaving in an un-Christian and uncivilised manner. How on earth can you expect the rest of the world to give your country the respect you desire if you behave like the school bully?
You complain about censorship in China, human rights issues etc etc but you apparently choose to ignore what your politicians are doing on your behalf. The people of Scotland got no more say in the release of Megrahi than your parents got in the bombing of Nagasaki.
Anywhere that the truth cannot be heard or expressed is a police state.

Yeah. I'm just back from the pub. How did you guess?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   

First of all, the United States is not a Christian country, although the majority of Americans are Christian. We have separation between church and state. I don't know if the facts you gave me are true or not. But my main objection is that the Cardinal, who is only human and therefore can make mistakes, showed no compassion in that speech for the victims and their families. It's like our illegal immigration policy here in the US. A lot of the Bishops are for immigrants coming here illegaly; they say we should help them. That's fine. But whatever happened to breaking the law. That's okay with the Bishops. And what about the Americans who are being terrorized and even killed by people who are here illegally. The Bishops seem to have no regard for their rights or feelings at all. BUT AGAIN MY MOST IMPORTANT OBJECTION IS THAT THE CARDINAL SHOWED NO COMPASSION AT ALL FOR THE VICTIMS AND THEIR FAMILIES. And would you really prefer living in China than the US? It seems like your mind is closed regarding this issue, so I really can't argue. But you don't live here on a day-to-day basis. I do. And despite its many faults, I'd rather live here than anywhere else.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 2:19 pm:   

Richard, here is another person's view of the Cardinal's speech. Can you be objective enough to at least consider what he is saying? I love you, but when you make up your mind about something, I've yet to be able to even get you to think about it any other way but your own. Don't get mad at me. I'm just giving my opinion too.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/1 00050056/cardinal-keith-obrien-and-the-lockerbie-m urderer-a-jaw-dropping-error-of-judgment-by-the-le ader-of-scotlands-catholics/
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5591
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   

It is a year since Megrahi was freed on humanitarian grounds yet we in the UK, and in Scotland in particular are still being hounded by the American government and a handful of senators in particular. They should stick to governing their own country and stop trying to interfere in decisions that are none of their business.
The relatives of the victims of the bombing (including the Scottish people who were killed on the ground) received billions of dollars in compensation. This was negotiated by ex Prime Minister Tony Blair.
It is widely believed that Megrahi wasn't even guilty and that his conviction would have been quashed in his impending appeal anyway. That would have been a huge embarrassment to both the UK and USA governments.
Most free thinking people accept that the bombing was in retaliation for the Iranian passenger plane that was blown out of the sky by the USS Vincennes. I can find no record of their relatives receiving any compensation whatsoever.
Their relatives got an apology via a Whitehouse spokesman.
"On July 3 1988, four days before the feast day of Id al-Adha , the navy cruiser USS Vincennes, also known as “Robo-cruiser” because of the extremely aggressive behavior of her Commanding Officer, shot down an Iranian passenger jet over the Persian Gulf. The civilian Airliner was carrying mostly Muslims on their pilgrimage to Mecca. 290 died, most Iranians.
President Reagan was at Camp David to celebrate the 4th of July. Reagan issued a statement regarding the shooting down of the Iranian airliner over the Persian Gulf.
“This is a terrible human tragedy. Our sympathy and condolences go out to the passengers, crew and their families.’‘
Another article said....
"the video seems to have dissapeared of the crew cheering the jets demise.On the BBC footage it is clearly heard the jet is climbing away from the carrier group".
You should read this article too.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/was-it- libya-or-did-iran-take-revenge-for-the-vincennes-7 05161.html.

Our main TV channel is showing an hour long programme between 9 and 10 this evening, The Lockerbie Bombing. I've already seen snippets of it with Obama sounding off. We've had enough of it. It's over. Let it go. Move on. Give us peace.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   

Don't tell that to me. Tell it to the Cardinal.
And one more thing. How would you really feel if I spewed hatred towards Scotland such as you do towards the United States? This is an imperfect world with mistakes made by everyone, yet you put the whole blame on us. I pray every day that the United States government and it's leaders be guided by God to do what is morally right. There is nothing else I can do. Are you absolutely sure that Scotland is as pristine and pure as you make it out to be? That would be quite an achievement since Scotland is made up of imperfect human beings also who sin and make mistakes just like everyone else. I wish that other Americans in this forum would give their opinion. I know I don't express myself well, especially when I come up against such hatred towards the US. I never did know how to deal with hatred. It frightens me. I do know that it is not the answer though.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5592
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 5:30 pm:   

You are totally missing the point Kathy. I sat through the hour long TV programme tonight and heard a goodly number of Americans bad mouth my country. I wouldn't mind if half of them even knew what they were talking about. This has been going on for ages and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I don't hate the USA, far from it. The world needs you, particularly in troubled times. What I don't like is the people who control your media and don't report what is being said openly in other countries. They only appear to report the bits that suit them.
I watched the hour long Lockerbie programme tonight with an open mind. In the first 30 minutes I was totally convinced that Magrahi was guilty (despite having had a contrary opinion prior to the programme). I learned things I was ignorant of. However it wasn't long before doubts started creeping in. It seemed altogether too convenient that what convicted the man was a fragment of a timer the size of a figernail that was found in a crime scene of 840 square miles! What was even more disturbing was that the shopkeeper in Malta could describe in detail most of what Magrahi had in his suitcase after seeing it opened very briefly. Evidence for his appeal was said to be able to prove he wasn't even ON Malta on the day this was supposed to have occurred. This shopkeeper has done a bunk apparently. Why would the US government pay him $2,000,000? Now THAT disturbs me.
This pantomime shows no sign of going away. I dare say our TV will be full of it for ages yet as long as there is a handful of senators trying to further their own careers by stirring things up. Are they stirring up anti British feelings just to draw attention away from the mess they are making at home?
Finally, something else I didn't know is that when Tony Blair was negotiating a prisoner exchange treaty with Libya, the Scottish government wanted them to exclude Megrahi. They were ignored. We were a premeditated scapegoat, and Megrahi was a convenient fallguy, just an expendable pawn.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   

There was no mention on the news today of what we are talking about, unless I missed it, but I watch at least 2 news programs at night and keep an eye on the news on the internet. I wouldn't have even known what the Cardinal had said if you didn't let me know, and then the Catholic news agency I subscribe to ran the article I mentioned above. There's no use in us arguing. But you still haven't answered the question that is bothering me. What about some compassion shown to the victims and their families? I agree that most of the mainstream media is corrupt. If it is, how do you know that what was reported on the show you watched tonight true? I have yet to see any stirring up of anti-British feelings in the US. I rarely watch the mainstream media, but even they didn't mention anything about it. And everyone that I talk to do not even think about such things. They're more concerned about our economic crisis and the high unemployment rate. It may be big news in the UK, but we have so many problems here in the US that we're concerned about, that I bet you most of the people don't even care. The only ones who probably do care are those who lost loved ones in the crash. But according to you, Magrahi is more to be pitied than them.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5594
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 5:38 am:   

Kathy, there has been a stream of anti-British followed by anti-Scottish abuse streaming across the Atlantic for four months now. It started with the BP oil spill and then continued with US senators trying to concoct a link between BP and the release of Megrahi. I had thought that our countries were allies and accepted that our troops were doing the right thing by standing side by side with yours through Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. This is brought into doubt when I hear some of the vitriol that has been directed at us from the States.
One low-life overweight American twerp suggested last night that Megrahi had not been released on compassionate grounds but that he had been released for financial ones "because Scotland is cheap". This is typical of the bile we are being subjected to.
Then we have an oily obsequious pink person who alleges to be our Prime Minister going cap-in-hand across to see the Big O and cheerfully casting Scotland as the villians of the piece. Both of them could do this only because the documents that could prove otherwise were classified as "secret" by the US and UK governments. With friends like these.........
On the subject of compassion, the Scottish Justice Minister is on record as saying "just because Megrahi showed no compassion to his victims is no reason why we should not show compassion to him". He meant "Why should WE lower OUR standards?"
Another American on last night's TV suggested that his release was a prearranged plot and that the deal had been done long ago. Simply not true.
I get the impression that many people would prefer that somebody be punished for the atrocity even if it is the wrong man. There are many people who believe that if Megrahi had gone ahead with his appeal he would have been cleared. Then we would have to contend with the awkward truth that it was Iran behind the bombing. Then what would you do when the US public clamored for justice?
Your rogue senators would be well advised to shut the hell up. They will land up opening a can of worms that they won't be able to close again.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 5:48 am:   

Since it seems no one else on this forum agrees with me, I refuse to discuss this issue any further. Our views are too opposite to get us anywhere. I just know I don't know who to believe anymore, and since there's no way to find out the real truth, what's the use of continuing.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5595
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 6:38 am:   

Kathy it would be equally true to say that nobody agrees with me either. Raking all this up is doing nobody any good. That's what annoys me most. What do these senators think they are going to gain by annoying their closest ally? Anyway, subject closed.

Something else has got up my nose today. Just listen to this. My step-son's fiance and her daughter stay over an hour away. The daughter has a theology exam today in Aberdeen and they'd left her bible at home. She then thought she would be able to pick one up in one of the local charity shops. Guess what? It's ILLEGAL! "In case we offend some other religions". The UK is a Christian country. The world has gone mad.
(I loaned her a bible).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 7:37 am:   

Do you mean it's illegal to purchase a book because of its subject matter in the UK? Does that mean that no one can buy Christopher Hitchens new book since he is an atheist? I thought you had a constitutional monarchy in the UK. It seems to me that there must be some sort of "right" there that is being violated. Do you have anything resembling our Bill of Rights that guarantees the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Or is that just an American thing that was drafted after the revolutionary war?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5600
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 8:04 am:   

It's totally illogical isn't it? Obviously you can buy a bible from a book shop but apparently they also need to stock the Koran to comply with Political Correctness legislation.
I don't know if it's still the case but is used to be illegal in the UK to buy a bible on a Sunday!!!! Tea was another one, but it was OK to buy 8eer.
There are so many crazy laws. It just proves what a load of nutters politicians are. I could actually get into bother for using the word "nutters". Politicians infuriate me (just in case you've not noticed that already).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 8:28 am:   

We have the same stupid "political correctness" rules here in the US. I always wear a Miraculous Medal around my neck. I never take it off. However, if I was to become a teacher, I would not be allowed to wear it while teaching school as they would say I am trying to promote my religion. However, if I was to wear some symbol of the occult for instance, that would be okay. I wonder what would happen if I wore a crucifix, a Star of David, a plain cross, and whatever the Muslim symbol is? I probably wouldn't be able to get away with it as I would then be offending the atheists in the class. We are losing our freedom bit by bit here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5601
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 8:48 am:   

Yep! You've got your quota of legislative nutters too. Our freedoms are being eroded bit by bit as you say.An old Scottish proverb says "Mony a mickle maks a muckle" or many small pieces add up to a lot. We'll not have many left shortly.
Your medal dilemma reminded me of this.....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-410299/Chr istian-BA-employee-legal-action-suspension-wearing -cross.html
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   

That article says it all. I don't like wearing jewelry, but wear the medal as a sign of my faith. So far, no one has ever objected to it. I hope this lady in the article wins her case. If not, what are they going to say we can't do or say next?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 5:16 pm:   

Today, I was listening to some of my oldies but goodies songs and came across "American Bandstand" by Barry Manilow. It made me think of Mike, although I don't know why. He isn't even from Philadelphia.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   

Has anyone checked out the new games yet? I just played 21 games of Block and lost everyone of them. Can this game ever be won?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5691
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 4:06 am:   

I've played ALL of the new games Kathy during the recent Beta Test. Block is the only one I've not won. During the test I suggested that a 1% win rate was unrealistic. I said that 1 win out of 5000 may not be low enough and that 1 in 10000 may be nearer the mark. My opinion now is that 1 in 50000 may not be low enough.

The number of games I appear to have played in the screenshot is way too low. I flashed through at least ten times the number that is recorded, only playing one now and again.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 4:46 am:   

Thank goodness for that. I thought I might be playing it wrong. It was getting quite frustrating. It will be interesting to see if anyone has a 100% score, don't you think? In this case, I don't even think you could fake it unless you happened to get lucky and win one game and then repeat it 50 times.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 4:49 am:   

BTW, for 21 games my average score is 3 and highest non-winning score is 17.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5693
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 9:23 am:   

Kathy, Just thought you'd like to know that 17 is a very exceptional score in Blank.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 3:08 pm:   

Thanks. I think I'm getting better. In the last few days, I've played some of the Tuxedo games that you solved for me that you said were some of the toughest games, and I won them without using your solution.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5695
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   

Practise makes perfect.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5699
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   

I watched footage of the bull that jumped over the barrier in the Spanish bullring, injuring 40 people. The only thing I could think of was "Serves you right". They came to enjoy the ritual humiliation and slaughter of powerful animals. Not so entertaining when the boot is on the other foot.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/article612504.ece /Bull-leaps-into-bullring-stands-in-Spain-40-hurt
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 2:10 pm:   

Yeah for you, Richard. What kind of sport rewards the victor by killing him? The bull cannot win or lose, and he doesn't even have a say in the matter. I'm kind of ashamed of myself, but I'd probably be saying the same thing as you did, "serves you right." That is one of the reasons I would never set foot in Spain even if I were given a free trip.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   

Mike, what do you know abut the stock market? Should we be worried about the Hindenburg Omen?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 3:31 pm:   

I know nothing about the stock market. Except that too much faith is put in as a barometer of how our economy is doing.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 4:57 pm:   

Good point!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5711
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 5:23 pm:   

A cynic might reach the conclusion that if it occurs then some people will make a killing and that these would be the same people who would try to influence the market by making it jittery in the first place. They cause share prices to fall and then buy them at rock bottom prices knowing full well that they will recover again pdq. That's only an opinion. Worry if you want.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   

Richard, I saw and heard your Prime Minister on TV last night. Does everyone speak with the same accent in Scotland unlike England where it depends on what part of England you're from or even here in the USA where one can spot a New Yorker or a Texan by their accents?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   

If you are referring to that pink obsequious upper-class smarmy git, David Cameron, no, he is from the south of England. The majority of the Scottish population voted against him.

This is the Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond. He lives in Aberdeenshire. He is the head of the Scottish Parliament. He has a somewhat mixed accent but leaning towards central eastern Scotland.

There are many,many accents in England and a goodly number in Scotland. Many strong and unintelligible to foreigners. Exactly what you'd expect in any country I suppose.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 1:39 pm:   

Neither one of these guys look like the man I saw on TV last night. All I know is that he was talking, and underneath was his name (which I can't remember now) and that he was the Prime Minister of Scotland. He was talking about the Lockerbie situation. He was very easy to understand but he sounded Scottish to me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5718
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 2:15 pm:   

David Cameron is the Prime Minister of all of the UK, England,Northern Ireland,Wales and Scotland.
Alex Salmond is the Scottish First Minister.
The Lockerbie witch-hunt is still in full flow. I saw a few interviews of American relatives of the Lockerbie bombing on TV last night. They sounded remarkably uninformed and unwilling to accept that new evidence that was not presented at the original trial would almost certainly have resulted in Megrahi's conviction being quashed. They just seemed to want someone that they could direct their hate towards. It's a sorry situation with no winners.
Anyway I'm having an early night as we'll be leaving early tomorrow morning. I hope things will have blown themselves out by the time we get back.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   

The TV must have made a mistake. It's happened before. Maybe it was Salmond. I can't begin to know the truth of the whole matter, but one can't help feeling sorry for the families, and people who grieve often don't want to hear the truth. I forgot to ask you where you were going, but we will miss you. Take plenty of pictures.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 3:55 pm:   

Have a good time on your (endless) holiday. Don't foget Speyside and the samples.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 3:56 pm:   

Darn. Don't FORGET.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5721
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   

Thanks Mike, I'll not foget.

Kathy, was this the guy?

Kenny MacAskill MSP - Cabinet Secretary for Justice.
This is worth reading.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/salmond-scotland-did-not-pass-the-buck-over-megrahi-release-2041679.html

What happened to my early night?
Sorry Mike, I fogot what I had to remember.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 5:09 pm:   

Never mind. You will tink of it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   

If that guy wears glasses sometimes, that could be him. But I'm not so sure. This guy had glasses and kind of silver/gray hair, nice looking. When you get back, if you can, maybe the papers from yesterday carried his speech. He was quite adamant that Scotland had done the right thing, so there must have been some news coverage of it. But I still think the news station I watched mis-labeled him, because it definitely said Prime Minister of Scotland of which I take it there is no such person. And I know what Cameron looks like, unless he changed his appearance since I last saw him.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   

I finally got it. Yes, it was Kenny MacAskil. I found the footage I saw on TV, and he does look different in that video than he does in the above picture. Mystery solved.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   

Does anybody follow Cubs base/ball? I just read that their third base coach is Mike Quade. I have a cousin whose name is Michael Quade. I haven't kept in touch with him for eons. He is even the right age of this coach. Now, I'll have to watch the Cubs game, which I swore I'd never watch another one, just to see if I recognize him.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   

All I know about the Cubbies is that they play in Wrigley field and they are doing about as well as the Dodgers. At one time we had are own Wrigley field in Los Angeles. The Pacific Coast League Angeles played there. And the Cubs used to train on Catalina Island. Which was owned by Wrigley.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 3:23 am:   

For all who have sometimes difficulties with the offices (e.g. Richard). It is nothing new, but always again a pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5kwSap9Ug&feature =related
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5736
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 9:01 am:   

"The Place That Sends You Mad". I've been there many times. They have them all over the country. They are co-ordinated from their head office in Brussels. Those in that building sit there all day devising new ways to screw more money and expenses out of the taxpayers.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:44 am:   

It is sad, that there is no way out in real life as Asterix did.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   

TEST
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 11:58 pm:   

EXAM
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:03 am:   

PASSED
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 6:51 am:   

OUT
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5924
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 6:56 am:   

AT HOME
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:18 am:   

WORKING
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5926
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:01 am:   

PLAYING
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   

SPINNING
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   

DREIDEL
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5929
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:39 pm:   

JENNY
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5930
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   

WREN
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5931
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:42 pm:   

ARCHITECT
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 3:22 pm:   

ordinary: GOOD NIGHT
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 5:20 pm:   

OLMSTEAD
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5932
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 5:57 pm:   

LOST DAME (anagram).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   

MAD STOLE (an angry muffler)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:37 am:   

MODEL SAT
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:38 am:   

TEST????????
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5935
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:39 am:   

EXAM!!!!!!

Groundhog day!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   

THESIS (although a lot of other EXAMS come to mind)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5952
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 3:34 am:   

Didn't Jim Morrison and The Doors sing about that Mike?
"Thesis the end, my only friend, the end."
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 4:54 am:   

EXAM
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 4:55 am:   

ORAL
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 7:28 am:   

BLUSHING
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 8:02 am:   

WRITTEN
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5957
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 9:04 am:   

ESSAY
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 11:49 am:   

GOLDMINER
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5960
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 11:57 am:   

GOLD DIGGER
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   

49ER
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 1:58 pm:   

BUCCANEER
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 3:05 pm:   

PIRATE
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   

PHILLIE
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5966
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   

FILLY
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5967
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 5:30 pm:   

MARE
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 5:31 pm:   

OLD NAG
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   

DIVORCED
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   

BACHELOR
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5970
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 6:13 pm:   

BIKER
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 6:27 pm:   

STUDMUFFIN
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5972
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 6:53 pm:   

DREAMER
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:20 am:   

Did Thomas become a trip winner on Wheel of Fortune tonight?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 1:21 pm:   

Happy Halloween everybody!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 1:25 pm:   

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 2:21 pm:   

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   

For all our American veterans in the forum, HAPPY VETERANS DAY tomorrow. I am very proud to be the daughter of a veteran of WWII and am very proud of all you veterans for helping to keep us safe here at home.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6086
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 4:16 am:   

I will put it down to an unfortunate choice of words Kathy. Today is called Armistice Day in the U.K., and it is a day of national mourning, not a day to be " 'happy". Over 37.5 million soldiers were killed or injured in the Great War (WW1) between 1914 and 1918. Civilian casualties would increase this figure greatly.
There were 80,000 German soldiers killed in action in Flanders whose remains cannot even be accounted for. There is a similar figure for British casualties whose remains have never been found. These figures do not include soldiers from many other nations,mainly European, who are still rotting in some unmarked "grave". They are all still “missing” in Flanders. Bodies are still being discovered to this day.
Today is when we mourn our dead in conflicts all across the world, unfortunately increasing practically every day in Afghanistan. Today the entire nation will grind to a halt and observe two minutes silence. Everyone stops what they are doing and stands still, head bowed in silence. Cars and buses stop in the street. Today is not a day to celebrate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-_rAwAm6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlL0M2U7FWs&feature =channel
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 4:29 am:   

I am sorry. I was only thinking of our brave soldiers some who had no choice (like my father who was drafted during the war) but to fight for our country. I am not celebrating war. I am celebrating the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us at home and who still do. I can't understand the kind of hatred I have received lately. It seems everything I say is wrong. I think it's best that I don't post at all anymore. I seemed to have lost all of my friends here in the forum. I'm only human and make mistakes. Does no one else but me say the wrong things sometimes, or am I the only sinner in the group. Again, I apoligize.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 8:59 am:   

Im with you Kathy. There is no need to apoligize. Your opinion is just as viable. I happen to agree with you. I would rather celebrate the lives of these brave men and women, their dreams and the hopes they sacrifices for others. Some people smile and think of how they lived and who they were not mourning in their deaths, but well with pride at how they chose to live.

My dad was also a veteran of WWII
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 9:22 am:   

Thank you, Ken.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6087
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 9:42 am:   

I was not criticizing you Kathy. Please believe that. I thought I'd made that clear in my opening sentence. I was happy that you'd brought the day to the attention of everyone.
Veterans Day or Armistice Day or whatever it is called in whatever country you belong to, is a day of remembrance. We have nothing to celebrate other than the fact that we survived these conflicts because of the sacrifice of others. I hate the word "sacrifice" in this context. It suggests that these people had a choice and that they chose to "give" their lives. The truth is that most of them would have preferred to have been a million miles away from these theatres of war.
We MUST remember these heroes, even if they were on the opposite side to ours. To glorify or celebrate this day is sinful in my opinion. Countless blameless people died, invariably for causes they barely understood. We should thank them and try to ensure that their deaths have not been in vain. Mankind appears to have learned little in the interim. Bosnia. Iraq. Afghanistan, etc. Potiticians are already openly discussing the PROBABILITY of war with Iran!!!!!
The day we should choose to celebrate is when we all reach the conclusion that ALL war is futile and that the pen is mightier than the sword.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 10:41 am:   

I think the word glorify is a very poor choice of words. I dont think anyone would describe it in that fashion. I think we (the USA) made a huge blunder going into Iraq and Afganistan and I certainly never voted for Bush. That said, the "celebration" is for those who gave their lives. Its not about the war or the evil. In those 2 minutes I choose to not bow my head but look up at the sky and give thanks in my own way for the strength and goodness in the world, not the evil.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6088
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:50 am:   

Hi Ken, The entire debate centres around just one word, the "happy" in Happy Veteran's Day. To suggest that this day is happy is in effect to "glorify" it. I accept that Kathy did not intend her post to suggest this. She did not intend it to be lumped together with, Happy New Year, Happy Christmas, etc,etc. Those are days of celebration. Today is a very sad and sombre day. So many people across the world must be mourning their dead relatives on this day in particular.
Bush was a clown. Blair was his lap-dog. I'm glad that Bush didn't get your vote and I'm certain that Blair (or indeed his entire Labour Party) has NEVER got my vote.
Nor should we forget that many German families, possibly even members of his Markus's family were casualties of war.
It is a day that should not be forgotten, but it is about as welcome as a trip to the dentist.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   

There is truth in that and you have said nothing I disagree with. I felt I need to back Kathy in how I read her meaning. You write very well and express your views strongly and with great clarity. Ours is called Veterans day and is a celebration of these people and the service they have given and not the wars. There is always a better way than war.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   

My grandfather died in the war and my father was about 8 years, when this happened. I know him only from the 1st of november, when we went to the graves to think about them.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6089
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 4:25 pm:   

Thanks Ken. I agreed with Kathy entirely with the exception of the use of the word "happy" which I thought was inappropriate, I'm pleased she made her post because it is important that we remember, and commemorate what today is all about. I appreciate that other countries may do so differently to the U.K. This evening, a character in one of our Soaps described Remembrance Day as "Very sad; yet uplifting". That description should please all of us.

Yes Markus, it is all too easy for everyone to forget the casualties we inflicted on other nations over the centuries. There are no winners, only losers.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6090
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   

My apologies kathy. I wish I'd read the following article prior to getting on my high horse about your use of the word "happy".
http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/veterans_day_ wester_montana_in_photographs/C559/L559/
It is now obvious to me that the USA and the UK treat this special day in a totally different manner.
In the UK every regiment returning from a war zone is awarded the freedom of towns and cities across the country. People turn out in droves to cheer them as they march through the streets. We honour the living on these days but mourn the dead on the 11th of the 11th.
All of our casualties are brought home to the same military airbase. As a result the small town of Wooten Basset has had hundreds of hearses passing along their main street. They do the nation proud.
There is an entire page of footage at the above link. It will bring a lump to your throat and could bring tears to a glass eye.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wooten +bassett+2010&aq=2
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 4:20 pm:   

Richard, I watched a couple of the videos in bassett and had to stop for a while as yes they did make me cry. I remember when I was married during the Viet Nam War, I would cry when they showed the dead soldiers coming home, and my husband actually got mad at me as he said it won't do any good to cry. I disagreed. It only made me more aware that as John Donne says "no man is an island ..." Thank you for pointing me to these sites.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Is anyone going to play PGS tomorrow or are all of you going to watch football?

P.S. Finally, President Obama did something I approve of. He pardoned two turkeys this Thanksgiving. At last, he did something right.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 12:12 am:   

Happy Thanksgiving to all. My original plan WAS to spend the day watching football and eating. But I will be rolling out the Christmas decorations. It started today and will continue for days. Not my idea. As for our President. He let Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi go free. To bad.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 1:08 am:   

Two things I am NOT grateful for Thanksgiving are Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. I bet they couldn't even play PGS, although knowing the way they operate, they would probably be the ones to win Block.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6127
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 3:46 am:   

Can't say I've heard of either of those dudes. I have heard of Sarah Palin though. Alarm bells rung in my head when I heard she could run for president. I've not heard those bells since George (jnr) decided to run.
Do you guys find his latest TV shows as embarrassing as I do? He's showing up on chat shows and trying to capitalize on the stupid things he did whilst president. Someone has obviously been schooling him on appropriate witty responses he should make when questioned. He's learned his script well. It's a pity he doesn't appear to realize that most people are cringing at his antics. The clip of him trying to open the doors gets me every time.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 5:49 am:   

Richard, those two dudes are the Senate Majority leader and Speaker of the House, respectively.

It might interest you to know that President Bush's approval rating has gone up since he has appeared on those TV shows to promote his book. And he has always been noted for his witty responses and sense of humor throughout his presidency. While these are facts, I have to admit I'm prejudiced as I have always liked the former president and even voted for him.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6134
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 7:56 am:   

He is demeaning himself and the office he held with his attempts to publicize a book. His witty remarks are viewed in many quarters as only being half correct.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 11:30 am:   

I know by now I can never argue with you on such subjects. So I am going to go and have my turkey now. BTW, my sister is giving me the book for Christmas!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6137
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   

I'm only reporting that he is being ridiculed outwith the USA for his most recent antics Kathy. I hope you enjoy his book.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   

Former President Clinton did the same kind of book interviews for his publications as had Jimmy Carter. President Bush in his interviews gave his reasons for what he did and did not do. And he told the interviewer when he made mistakes and when he felt he was unjustly treated. He also has held to the long history of holding off criticism of the new President and former Presidents. Which Mr. Carter has not done.
What is being reported in foreign countries is expected. I have respect for both Presidents Bush. I also have respect for President Obama. While I may disagree with a lot he is doing. He is still the President of my country. Today we can give thanks that we here live in at least part of the world where we can agree or disagree with our governments and are allowed the freedom to do it. (as well as giving thanks for our family and the food and the rest)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6139
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   

Freedom of speech is what it's all about Mike. I totally agree. We just have to look at lots of other countries where we wouldn't dare object to anything. We get lots of Russians,Latvians, Estonians,Lithuanians etc working in they U.K. They all have something in common. They are cowed and subdued and afraid to express any opinions. I'd be banged up for ever in some of those countries. We've got a LOT to be thankful for.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   

One thing you'd love about the US, Richard is that you can say just about anything you want and get away with it with the exception of such things as yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, etc. There is a discussion going on now about "hate speech" that hasn't been completely resolved by the courts yet.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration