Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:51 am:   

Need his email address
Here's mine <paxinc@nctv.com>
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   

Richard has stopped posting here. He is on an extended trip to the Himalayas to find Yeti milk. It extends life and vitality to poor unfortunate Scotsmen.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:08 pm:   

Maybe he has success while asking a stewardess.

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:10 pm:   

BTW, i heard, that it don't only extend life and vitality.

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6638
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:25 pm:   

Milk? Milk? I think I've heard of it. Is it similar to water? I've heard that some foreign people actually drink water. Surely not. I suppose you all realise that fish make love in it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   

Richard. Back already. I thought it would take you much longer. So I have a question to ask you. How do milk a Yeti? Very carefully I would imagine. Happy April Fool's Day. Of course everyday day is April Fool's day in Scotland isn't it?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   

At last. The task of beaming everyone to Yetiland has been completed. It will now be very quiet here.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   

It seems, that just we two are still not there.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6639
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 3:38 pm:   

I've put the transporter into reverse now, Yetiland is now totally tourist free.
Yetis used to roam wild in northern Scotland. They were hunted to extinction by packs of wild Haggis. These days they can only be found in remote Himalayan regions. The Haggis over there are all vegetarians so they manage to co-exist okay.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 6:14 pm:   

Drat! It was quiet.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 9:53 pm:   

Are Haggis people or creatures?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 10:41 pm:   

Yes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6640
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 6:20 am:   

Yetis are even mentioned in the Bible."Yeti say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these".
The Haggis or Hag is actually documented in the Bible, given the name Lilith. Lilith is described as a demon, sent by Satan in the night to torment the souls of men on Earth by eating all the Yetis.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 11:39 am:   

Richard, I'm sure your favorite show on the telly is "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" with Billie Piper. There was an article in the local paper of the real person that show is based on. She is currently living in Scotland and she is from the local high school here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6641
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 12:04 pm:   

It's not on the box here at the moment Ken. I believe it was series 4 that ended a few weeks ago. Not sure about the real person you mentioned. Do you remember which school in which town?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 12:20 pm:   

I guess I should have been more clear. She graduated from Clearwater Catholic High School just down the road from me. She was a science nerd who did her post-graduate work over in England, did her call-girl thing there, and then "retired" to Scotland.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6642
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 1:38 pm:   

Thanks for the clarification Ken.
Are you familiar with the film "The Magdalene Sisters"? It was on one of our channels a few days ago. I didn't watch it as I've seen it twice before. Granted some of it may have been fictionalized, but it is based on a true book of the same name. The Catholic church in Ireland did treat "fallen" women wretchedly. One of the four characters was imprisoned in the asylum because her cousin had forced himself on her. It reminded me of an Iranian film I saw a few years ago. The central character there was hanged publicly after she had a similar experience at the hands of police officers. Let's hope Islam makes the same progressive steps as Christianity.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   

I LOVE that movie! Very gripping!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   

Please give me the passage in the bible about the Yetis. I missed that one. I'm so confused!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   

Kathy. Richard is being his impish self and playing with words. We have discussed haggis here before. It,s meat and vegetables packed into a goats stomach and cooked. The perfect Scottish treat. There are no wild haggis's wandering loose anywhere. The Yeti is a fictional creature much like Big Foot. The Yeti is suppose to live in the Himalayas. Remember wordplay is what Richard thinks he is good at. (A Joke) (He is pretty good at it)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 3:47 am:   

Cooked goat? A Scottish treat? No thanks. I think I'll cancel my trip to Scotland.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6643
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 6:06 am:   

Oh dear. This post contains nothing but FACTS. You can verify any of it with Google etc.
The biblical quote I mentioned is written a few posts above this..... in inverted commas. The only part of the quote that I altered was that I changed "Yet I" into "Yeti". You can also Google my other quote in the same post it started "The Hag" I altered it by changing it to "The Haggis or Hag" and by adding a few words to the end of the quotation too. It originally stopped at "torture the minds of men"..... everything thereafter was added by me. It passes for a sense of humour here. Some people make a living from it.
Now the haggis. Google it and you can get as much information as you want. It has NOTHING to do with goats. In fact it is not even a Scottish dish. Fairly recently an English company tried to get it registered as an English dish so that they could prevent Scottish manufacturors from producing it without paying them a commission. They were actually correct in their assertion that it was eaten in England before it ever reached Scotland. It was introduced to these islands by the Romans when they invaded. The Romans were by far the most civilised race in Europe for hundreds of years. It continued to be eaten in Scotland and appears on many hotel and restaurant menus. Practically every tourist visiting Scotland tries it. Waitresses frequently appear with a a saucer containing a spoonful of it so it can be tried before strangers order it. It is very popular. It is not compulsory to eat haggis in Scotland, nor is it compulsory for visitors to your country to eat Grits. Typically it is made from sheep's liver, lungs and heart, onions, suet and oatmeal. It is invariably fairly heavily seasoned with salt,pepper and cayenne. The mixture is cooked and minced before being stuffed into a synthetic pouch. Centuries earlier this would have been a sheep's stomach. These days we have moved on.
Now Yetis. Believed by many to be mythical creatures. Other people including the King of Nepal are convinced otherwise. He employs trackers to do nothing else but try and locate them. It is not that long ago that people scoffed at the idea of giant apes. They had actually to see proof that Gorillas existed before they were converted. In the last few years there have been numerous new species of animals etc discovered in Borneo. The Himalayas are far more vast than that island. They are far less explored too. I watched a documentary series fairly recently about Tigers. "Experts" totally dismissed their existance at these high altitudes and above the snow line too. They have been forced to eat their words since the team brought back loads of footage of them captured on remote, motion sensor cameras. They managed to prove that the Tiger's range extends from India through to China.
To finish...... people can be very narrow minded and prejudiced. As an example I like to quote this advert from Guinness. It simply stated "I've not tried Guinness because I don't like it". You can swop the word "Guinness" for haggis if you like. BTW, it is not compulsory to drink Guinness in Ireland not Scotch in Scotland.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 9:06 am:   

Richard, is your hotmail account still acting up? Check to see if you got the pictures I sent you. There are a couple of football ones there.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6647
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 10:33 am:   

Will do Ken. I'm just getting lazier. I sometimes don't look there for days. I did get some a day or two ago that opened up in situ without problem. BTW situ is a suburb of Inverurie.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6648
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 10:50 am:   

YES Ken! The photos were brilliant but the video was even better. I was going to buy that Human Planet DVD. It was advertised on TV as just about to go on sale,just before we went away last time. I'd forgotten all about it. Going to look on Amazon now and see if I can locate a copy. The BBC is unbeatable when it comes to Natural History programmes.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 5:52 pm:   

Richard. I will answer your email shortly. I am having some trouble writing mail. I get partway through a message and I get thrown out of the program. I don't have the patience right now to figure out the problem. My lower back is killing me. And I just had to spend some more money on the truck. Enough already!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6649
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   

A good trick with emails is to write it in Notebook for example, then copy and paste it onto a blank email. That gives it no time at all to screw up. I used to have the same problem several years ago. That was my work-around.
Sorry to hear about your back Mike. Mine has practically returned to "normal" now after giving me a lot of grief for a week. Now it just growls at me a few times a day. I'll not be doing any more tidying up up in the loft. That's what caused the most recent spell. Every cloud etc.Ha!
We are going to see about a new exhaust tomorrow. Vehicles love to chew up our cash.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   

Richard, I admit I was confused, but where did you get the idea that I was narrow minded and prejudiced? Now I'm confused again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6650
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 5:07 am:   

Kathy, I was pointing out that people in general are narrow-minded and prejudiced, everyone including you and me. This was amply demonstrated by the fact that Guinness ran that particular advertising campaign. People were not trying their product because they had already made up their minds that they didn't like it. The campaign was a success.
BTW, on yesterday's news I learned that a couple of restaurants in Edinburgh have started serving Grey Squirrel on the menu. I have pointed out before that they are vermin here. They are now being culled in some areas so eating them has been deemed to be preferably to just killing them and dumping the carcasses. I've not tried squirrel because I don't like it? I for one will be trying it.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 5:12 am:   

I heard from a squirrel pastry (?) on TV a shop is selling in London.
We eat pigs, because they don't look like a nice pet as cats and dogs do, that's why we eat them (the same with cows). Squirrel are looking nice, but why not eat it when they get hunted?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 5:45 am:   

I have to disagree with you, Richard. Although I have many, many faults, I can assure you I am not narrow minded and prejudiced. Just because something doesn't appeal to my tastes or sensibilities doesn't mean that I condemn anyone whose views are different.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 2:32 pm:   

We can continue the Religious discussion here or start a new thread.
Richard and I have had some discussions about religion before. A lot of things have been justified by invoking Gods name. A certain civilization wants the land another civ has. Either the leader of the civ or the priests or both have visions. The enemy is evil. They don't believe in our God. They must be destroyed. This has been used for centuries. Next class will be on the Bible.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 4:29 am:   

Do we have to start calling you Reverend Mike now?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6677
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 9:53 am:   

What would mine be? Think, old, rugged and cross. Ha! Just Reverent Old for short. Or more accurately on occasion Irreverent Old.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:10 am:   

How about Darth Richard. Will be the power with you.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:42 am:   

How about Old Reverend Cross?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6679
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 5:43 pm:   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1y5RPpvV8w&NR=1&fe ature=fvwp
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 6:21 pm:   

Since it is still Sunday here I will give my sermon. Don't take everything you read as the gospel truth. Remember until a few years it was a mortal sin to eat meat on Fridays.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   

Reverend Mike, I think you need to give a sermon to Richard. He finally cracked. Do you think there's any hope for him?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:48 am:   

I will let Richard speak for himself. Which he does very well. I would never take it upon myself to preach to anyone. I have some very stong ideas about how to practice my faith. Others have their own ideas. Just don't try to tell me how to it. I get rather angry at the folks who come to my door and tell me I don't really know God. If they do I am happy for them. But leave me alone with my own communications with Him/Her or just Spirit.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 3:57 am:   

I'm sorry, Mike. I thought you would know I was joking. You won't hear from me again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6680
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:40 am:   

I think that Mike was talking about those Holy Willies who do the door-to-door spiel rather than criticizing you Kathy. They brass me off too. They have no right to tell us how wrong we are about God or anything else. There has been an endless procession of religions and Gods since the dawn of mankind. What they all had in common is that they believed that their religion was the only true religion and that everybody else was wrong. Even today we have new sects emerging. That Scientology lot. I class them as headcases. I could be wrong. They could be right. We could argue about it until we are all blue in the face but nobody would change their views. There are still people in America who believe that the Bible is the gospel truth, and that Adam and Eve are our common ancestors. They refuse to believe in evolution etc. Even THEY think they are right despite the massive burden of truth to the contrary.
Like Mike, I am content with my own ideas on the subject. None of us will ever change so there is little point in discussing it. It will probably keep cropping up whilst discussing other matters, but we should try and steer clear of religion/s completely.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6681
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:51 am:   

Let's give the last word to the Reverend I.M.Jolly. If he doesn't crack you up then you are probably already dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cpb8rqYFd8

You'll find more of his clips on Youtube. I just picked this one at random. He was the highlight of Hogmonay TV for years.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6682
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 5:01 am:   

NOT FOR KATHY!!!! (It contains one or three swear-words).
The following clip came up immediately after the previous one. It's a compilation of shorts from a great Scottish TV show called Still Game. It's hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-z4iMBFZA&NR=1&fe ature=fvwp
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 1:07 pm:   

I guess I forgot the smiley. But my message should show how easy it is when using the internet to discuss things how easy it is to take things the wrong way. :-) :-)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 2:37 pm:   

If it wasn't a direct attack on me, Mike, then you had me fooled. I haven't cried as hard as I did in a long time when I read your words to me. I don't find it fun anymore on the forum if I always have to watch what I say. It seems as if everyone is allowed to joke around but me. I'm sure you won't miss me, except who are you going to pick on now that I'm gone?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   

Richard! (Because he can dish it out AND take it!!)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:53 pm:   

Ken, great idea. Also my thought, and when Richard is on a trip, then we have still Mike. (He can also dish it out AND take it!!!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6693
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 6:49 am:   

I was hoping to find footage of Rab C Nesbitt singing "I'll Survive", but it's not on Youtube.
You'll have to settle for this immortal quote instead. To whom it may concern.........

"I wid like tae be able talk tae you withoot feelin like I've jist gargled wie *Preparation H!".

Yep. I'll survive all right.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6694
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 8:27 am:   

Once upon a time..... NO! This is not a Fairy Tale, this is the absolute truth.

I checked my bank account online last night. There was a LOT of money there! I couldn't believe my eyes.
The bad news is that I've just had a senior bank manager on the phone practically in tears, apologising for paying over £71,000 into my account BY MISTAKE! These infallible people make mistakes? Hardly headline news. She was begging my permission to debit the account by the same sum. I said I should just transfer it into a different bank. She practically had kittens.
They are taking the cash back but it was a wonderful feeling to see so much cash in my account.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 2:06 pm:   

I bet there is more to this story. The bank manager who was nearly in tears was probably crying like a large baby after Richard had some fun with her.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6695
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 2:58 pm:   

I was actually very nice to her Mike. It was unrealistic for me to believe that they'd not notice their mistake. I just didn't think they would get onto it so quickly. Everybody has bills to pay and I'm sure the poor woman would have been in a panic about getting fired and not being able to pay her own. I did take a screenshot of the account. Perhaps somewhere down the line some relative will be sorting through our effects and find it. They will then be racking their brains trying to figure out what we did with it all. Ha!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   

It's still a conversation I would have liked to have heard. Of course I would not have understood much of what was being said. :-) And that is meant as a joke.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6697
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 5:21 am:   

If we knew you were listening in Mike, we would just have used small words so you could follow our conversation.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6698
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 5:29 am:   

The car sat on the mat.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 1:02 pm:   

Small words and in American English.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:04 pm:   

Richard, Ever ridden on the Hogwart's Express?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/30/Floridian/Ride_t he_rails_like_R.shtml

Speaking of Ben Nevis, I see in the paper that they are recreating the 1911 drive of an Edinburgh car dealer to the top in a Model T to show how rugged the cars were.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6763
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 2:01 pm:   

No Ken. Not yet. We actually had tickets a few years ago but when we worked out our timing we realised that we would have missed our ferry to Raasay where we had already paid for our room. We'll get it at some point. Maybe this year. The route is regarded as one of the best railway journeys in the world. We MUST take the old steam train. It's in no hurry. The diesel trains use the same route but at a greater speed and with less window access. I used to have a blinder of a photo of the train crossing the Glenfinnan Viaduct. (Better than the following one).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6764
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 2:10 pm:   

I cannot believe that anyone would be mad enough to try and drive up Ben Nevis, far less in a Model T. There is no road for a start.
My mate John climbed up it last year. He leaves on wednesday for his 70th birthday cycle run from Land's End to John O' Groats. Will email you their itinerary.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 3:00 pm:   

Richard, that is a beautiful picture. It must be wonderful to take that train ride and see the beautiful scenery. I never knew how beautiful Scotland was before I began seeing your pictures. It has alway been a dream of mine to visit the British Isles ever since I was a child. I won't be able to in this life, but maybe in the next life I will. Let's hope so.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6765
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 3:13 pm:   

Thanks Kathy. The picture is not one I took. Mine will be better. Ha! Is it a computer generated one anyway? When we visit that area again we will obviously take videos from the train, but I have already earmarked three vantage points where we can get stills photos over a couple of days or so.
You can see more of Scotland that the majority of our population by following our journeys through our Webshots photos. Currently approaching 15,000 of them. Here is the link in case you've lost it.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ElizabethMcD/st ats
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6768
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 9:50 am:   

Where is everybody? Marcus has practically disappeared. The Ken's are equally inactive. Kathy too.

What we need is a controversial topic put forward by a cynical Scottish person. If only we had someone like that. Never fear, I give you Sir Alex Ferguson, a diplomat like my good self.
"I don't have the time to do it. There are million things you can do with your life other than that. Go to a library and read a book. I'm serious. What a waste of time"......(Sir Alex talking about Twitter).
Coincidentally an English football player has taken legal action against Twitter. Twits will have to watch what they say in future. They will be landing up in court for making slanderous posts.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   

Be careful what you ask for. I don't Twitter. Except in my sleep. When you post things on the Internet anything could happen. Also people can post stuff about you which can be the truth or a lie. Either way you can be in trouble. Like the one I saw about Richard. He is not really a Scotsman. He is from Nunavit in Cananda.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6769
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 1:31 pm:   

"Nunavit!" eh? Well remember you asked for it Mike...... People can choose your birthplace from the following list. All genuine places, but many very rude ones, several in the USA btw.
http://www.i-r-genius.com/rudeplaces.html
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   

I don't need a list to know the rude places in the US. :-) BTW. Don't you have a garden that needs attention. I may go out and work on mine today. No. Nevermind.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6770
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 4:05 pm:   

We have had about 8 weeks with practically no rain Mike. Liz and I have spent several hours per day in the garden since we came back from our holiday. Thankfully the normally predictable Scottish weather will be coming to my rescue tomorrow. Got the van to clean tomorrow now. A guy can have too much fun you know. You should do a bit of gardening though Mike. May I suggest a putting green?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 1:13 am:   

The dogs would love a putting green. They can putt some stuff here and putt some stuff there and so on. And I did do lots of clean up work in the back today. I am not well.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 8:49 am:   

Seeing Fertile, MN in the list of city names reminds me of a wedding announcement I saw in the paper a while back. There is a town in Iowa called Manley and the announcement said, "Fertile woman to wed Manley man".
P.S. Richard, I posted a FT # for you to work on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6773
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:46 am:   

Good one Ken.
I can't understand why place names are not changed when they are so obviously rude like some on the list. The foreign ones are okay but ones in English speaking countries are ridiculous. One I came across recently when plotting a route on a map was "Pishwanton Wood".
I recall an OLD joke about an Irishman trying to buy a rail ticket to Jeopardy as he'd seen a newspaper headline that said "500 jobs in jeopardy".
On a TV program last night I saw a familiar face but her name didn't fit. In discussion it turned out to be Samantha Janus. She'd changed her name because of the rude innuendo she was being subjected to. Also last night.... Prince Phillip was not allowed to make a speech during the royal tour of Ireland. They were to visit Limerick and there was a rumour that he was working on one that began, "There was an old palace called Buckingham".
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 1:10 pm:   

One of the reasons I don't post much anymore besides the obvious is that most of you seem to be playing only 40 Thieves which I just can't get into. Why no feedback or talk about the newest games? I see someone won one game of Barricade which I have yet to win.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6774
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 2:56 pm:   

Did they win it or did they "win" it Kathy?
Too hew people use the forum. It's mainly us old guys. I play 40 Thieves almost to the exclusion of everything else. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. Many of us are by the looks of things. KenM and Larry are FT addicts too.
I'll play some more Barricades and see if I can find you a winning number. A real one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6775
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 2:56 pm:   

Did they win it or did they "win" it Kathy?
Too hew people use the forum. It's mainly us old guys. I play 40 Thieves almost to the exclusion of everything else. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. Many of us are by the looks of things. KenM and Larry are FT addicts too.
I'll play some more Barricades and see if I can find you a winning number. A real one.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 3:33 pm:   

You read my mind, Richard. Barricade is easier than Block to win but still not easy. My highest score so far has been 32. Come on guys, don't get stuck in a rut. I'm an old timer too, but I like to try new games and see how others do on them.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6776
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   

What number did you score 32 with Kathy? I've only got to 18 so far.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 5:22 pm:   

I scored 32 on Barricade 102360121
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:14 am:   

Richard, you are forever immortalized in PGS lore!

"Barricade is an easier version of Block, with rules modifications suggested by Richard Mechen and Thomas Warfield."

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6777
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:48 am:   

I was aware of that Ken. I could be further immortalized and probably vilified if I posted my stats for it. I have several winners but of course they were played under the easier "any suit" rules. They would still upload as genuine though I think. I'm going to erase them anyway, just in case I do it by accident.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 5:03 am:   

Richard, can you tell me which numbers you won on Barricade? I've played thousands of games and have yet to win. You must have won them yesterday or this morning since in your last post you said you only got a high score of 18 so far.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 5:35 am:   

Richard, I also don't see the easier "any suit" rules in the rules for Barricade. I'm confused.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6778
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 9:28 am:   

You are not reading the lines Kathy. You are reading between them. I HAVE "won" Barricade several times, but not the Barricade we are talking about. I won the old version, the Beta test version where you could build in "any suit" not by alternate colour as it is now. I could post stats that show several "winning" numbers but as I value my integrity I have stated that I will not do so. I thought that I'd made that clear at 3.48am. I had also stated at 4.52 that my best score at that point was 18.... with the genuine article, the all new singing and dancing Barricade that we all know and love/hate. I said that I would look for a genuine winner on your behalf. I am currently trying to do that. There have been enough bogus/suspect/iffy stats posted already without me making matters worse. Honesty is the best policy.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:15 am:   

I'm sorry. I'm not thinking clearly lately. Maybe senility is finally happening. I didn't remember you worked on the beta version.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   

Richard, I know you don't care about stats, but there is a guy on the Barricade stats who has won 50 and lost 0. Do you think that's possible? I'm curious because everyone else's stats look believeable. I can't believe he would win 50 games in a row with no losses in such a difficult game. It's just an observation. It just aggravates me a little because I've tried so hard just to win that one game.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:55 pm:   

50 wins. No losses. Barricade is easier than I thought. I wonder how many hands the guy played played under a different name to find 50 winners. And then replay them. Anyway, finding 50 winners is an accomplisment.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6783
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:29 pm:   

If.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:35 pm:   

I don't understand what you just wrote, Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6788
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 5:54 pm:   

IF someone found 50 winners it would be an accomplishment. You could upload stats showing 50 straight wins without having won a single game. I'm not saying that this is the case, I'm saying that it is always a possibility, and because it is a possibility, all stats with the exception of climb mode ones are pretty worthless.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 9:11 pm:   

I agree with you that stats are pretty worthless. It just kind of makes it more competitive and fun for me. I don't know how someone could upload stats without winning a single game. I do know you can do that in the climb mode; at least I think you can. It wouldn't be any fun, but I wonder how a person found out how you can do that; I've been playing for years and wouldn't have the slightest idea unless a person uses the universal number and plays it 50 times. That's the only way I know how. But as you say, the idea is to have fun, and I had fun figuring out how to win the Barricade game you gave me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6789
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 3:11 am:   

Using the unshuffled deck as a "winning" number is pathetic. Using it 50 times is infinitely pathetic. You'd have to be pretty moronic to resort to this. You could train a monkey to do it.
Imagine a bicycle race. Loads of competitors turn up, but one of them is on a motor-bike. Guess who'd "win"? Should he get a medal? No. He should be ridiculed.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 4:32 am:   

Unfortunately, I don't think he reads this forum. I've noticed he's a new player from Norway. He's the one who is competing with me on Boots. Every time I post winning stats, he posts 100 more wins. For a while it was a challenge. Now it's just getting irritating. I just like looking at the stats. Some do and others don't. I wonder if anyone else cares about how they are doing in the stats. I know your position. To me it's just part of the fun unless someone like him comes along.
jacobs robert (Robertstein)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Robertstein

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 5:06 am:   

BESTE KATHY EN RICARD HEB BY BARICADE SPECIAL GEDAAN OM JULLIE REACTIE TE VOLGEN GEBRUIK GOOGLE OM TE VERTALEN LANDSTAAL IS NEDERLANDS
NOORWEGEN LIGT WEL IN EUROPA MAAR BEN UIT VLAANDEREN
MAAR JA AMERIKA KENT ALLEEN MAAR AMERIKA HE
VOORSTEL RECET ALLE STATISTIEKEN EN PAS MET EEN UPDATE HET PROGRAMMA AAN GROETJES
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6791
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 5:58 am:   

Hallo Robert,
Google heeft niet vertalen uw boodschap zeer goed.
Ik begrijp dat u vanuit Vlaanderen, maar u woont in Noorwegen.
Is dit te corrigeren.
Probeer een andere boodschap. Het kan vertalen beter.
Richard
jacobs robert (Robertstein)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Robertstein

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 6:02 am:   

VLAANDEREN ARE ON BELGIUM
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6792
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 6:22 am:   

Ik weet waar Vlaanderen is.
Veel Britse soldaten stierven er tijdens WO1.
Google maakt fouten.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 6:56 am:   

What just went on here? I only speak English, Robert.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6793
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 7:22 am:   

Kathy, You can use Google to translate Roberto's posts into English from Dutch. They will not make much sense anyway. At a guess Roberto is correcting you for saying that he is from Norway when in fact he is from Flanders in Belgium. I see you have 2 winners for Barricade now. What was your second one?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 7:32 am:   

I just found out that it was Belgium and not Norway. My mistake. My two winners were #614155136 and #2, although since I didn't know #2 was using illegal moves, I guess I should take it out, but I hate starting over again. BTW, did the gentleman from Belgium explain how he won 50 games of Barricade with no losses? I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I sure don't know how he did it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6794
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 7:58 am:   

As I said, I couldn't understand the translations. These tools are pretty useless most of the times I've tried to use them.
You don't appear to have tried it so here is what it said................

BEST AND KATHY RICARD DO FOR YOU DONE BY BARICADE SPECIAL RESPONSE TO
FOLLOWING LAND USE GOOGLE TO TRANSLATE LANGUAGE DUTCH
NORWAY IS KEPT IN EUROPE BUT I AM FROM FLANDERS
YES AMERICA BUT HE KNOWS JUST AMERICA
PROPOSAL receipts ALL STATISTICS AND ONLY AS AN UPDATE TO THE PROGRAM
Greetings
BTW, Don't bother restarting Barricade. There is no point.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 6:35 pm:   

My Grandfather was from Belgium as well as my Grandmothers family.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 8:38 pm:   

I'm glad I didn't try to translate his message, Richard. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm not going to restart Barricade, but I still play now and then hoping I'll find another winner, but without your help, if I had gotten that number you gave me, I wouldn't have won it anyway.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 9:02 pm:   

I also had another thought! Why not get rid of the stats altogether. I enjoy the competition, but not if there's no way I can compete if there is a way for someone to cheat. It's not fun that way.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6796
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 3:30 am:   

I've already got rid of the stats Kathy. I decided a long time ago that it's not a level playing field. I know in my own mind that I am good enough to be near the top of the majority of the games if I did. That's good enough for me, Why stress yourself out anyway?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   

Richard, do you know how high the numbers go in any given game? I was told that the highest numbers are easiest to win. I just wanted to experiment with that idea not only on Barricade but other games like 40 Thieves, etc. to see if I could win some of them, especially 40 Thieves as I'd like to try it again as you seem to like it so much. Are the numbers limitless or do they stop at a certain number. It's not for stats or anything but maybe it might help me with the games I seem to have trouble with.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   

Never mind. I tried the highest numbers I could think of, and they weren't any easier than the lowest ones. Someone must have told me wrong. I'll just keep plugging along.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 2:09 am:   

Kathy, I posted this 3 weeks ago and I don't think you saw it.

"P.S. to Kathy: Try #1971424767. It is one of the easiest Forty Thieves games I have ever played!"
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 4:09 am:   

I must have missed it. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Ken.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 1:50 am:   

Did you win it, Kathy??
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 7:42 am:   

Yes I won it, Ken. I wish they were all as easy as that one.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:49 am:   

What would be the challenge in that?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6802
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   

"You took the words right out of my mouth" "I swear it's true, I was just about to say" that.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   

>Richard, do you know how high the numbers go in any given game?

Richard may be too busy quoting Meatloaf. :-)

The deal numbers run from 1 through 2147483647 on all games. (You can click on 'Select' and that dialog box tells you these numbers, should you forget.)

>I was told that the highest numbers are easiest to win.

Whoever told you that was mistaken. The highest number is an unsorted deck, which is often winnable, even for some very hard games, but other than that, the shuffles are essentially random. There is no difference in difficulty between high numbers and low numbers (in the general case); any perceived difference is in the mind of the beholder. :-)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:17 pm:   

I hope I don't get into trouble, but I wrote an email to Thomas about the obvious cheating on Barricade, and he told me the higher numbers were easier to win. But perhaps I misunderstood him.

You guys are right. While winning one game of 40 Thives was nice, it wouldn't be fun if they were all that easy. I realized that soon after I posted that remark.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6804
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 2:38 am:   

Why would Thomas give you into trouble Kathy? Democracy, freedom of speech etc.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 12:51 pm:   

Gregg says higher number don't have any more of a chance to win than others. Thomas told me different. Of course, they could have a difference of opinions. I think I'll just forget about it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6807
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 1:15 pm:   

It's not a matter of opinion Kathy. The numbers are random. No decent sized group would be significantly easier than others. Thomas may have said the highest number is the easiest, ie the unshuffled deck number.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 3:46 am:   

Mike, did you see this?
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/ post/Richie-Ramsay-teaches-us-all-to-never-leave-e arl?urn=golf-wp2239

There are stupid people in Scotland? It just doesn't seem possible!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 2:32 pm:   

Well we know there is a least one. I had not seen this. It reminds of the time I was leading the US Open by two shots. Then I decided I wanted a cheeseburger and walked off. Wait. That was a dream I had last night. It wasn't a cheeseburger. It was some fajitas.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6826
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 5:44 pm:   

The ji in fajitas is silent. Not a lot of people know that.
Yes we're back. Normal dis-service will resume asap.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   

Welcome back, Richard. Anyone who has ever taken Spanish as a foreign language in school should know about the ji being silent. So I think more people than you think know about that. I got straight "A's" in Spanish but never pursued it. I don't think it's a very beutiful language. My favorite foreign language is Latin. Unfortunately, other than at church, I have no other reason to learn more about it at least no practical reason.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   

Kathy, are you saying "Veni, Vidi, Vici" now that you are a 40 Thieves expert?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 4:16 am:   

I wish, Ken. I keep getting so frustrated not being able to win the games I know are winnable. I came, I saw, but I didn't conquer.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6828
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 6:12 am:   

It's nice to be back, thanks Kathy.
I'm afraid I started where I left off, with a little joke about fajitas. If the ji really was silent the word would be pronounced fa-tas.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 1:21 pm:   

And you are leaving again WHEN? What about a trip to Tiajuana. Oh yes. Glad you are back safe and sound. Sort of anyway.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6830
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 2:08 pm:   

Thanks Mike. Actually I am already planning our next excursion. Not Glen Millar and the Chattanooga choo-choo, Glenfinnan and the Harry Potter choo-choo.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 5:55 pm:   

I think a stop at Hogwarts would be just the ticket for you.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   

Richard, please email me when you can. I cannot understand the new forum. I'm signed up, but when I saw Ken's post on "is it winnable", I saw no where to click to see the post. I'm afraid what with my memory and mind problems lately that I won't figure it out and won't ever be able to be a part of the forum again.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   

Kathy, Just click on where it says "Forty Thieves". It's a link even though it isn't underlined. The new forum is different, but it's very simple and easy to post, once you learn to do it it will be easy.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6833
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 5:49 am:   

Kathy, It's only the "old dogs and new tricks" effect. Just experiment with what you see there. Simply by trial and error you will find out how it works.
My first impression is that I much prefer this forum. Mind you, that has probably got a lot to do with the fact that I've posted close to 7000 times here. It's like everything else, you will pick it up after a few mistakes. After that you will be wondering what the fuss was about. Wishful thinking? I'll reserve judgement.
Will email you this evening.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   

Thanks Richard and Thomas. I know the new forum is necessary, but it reminds me of Facebook which I have never liked. It looks so much more complicated than our forum here. I guess in my old age, I can't accept change like I used to. I'll let you know if I can't get into Ken's post. I thought I clicked on every word in that sentence, but I'll try again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6836
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 12:49 pm:   

Good luck with that Kathy! I am now getting the following message.
"Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered".
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 3:32 pm:   

Richard,

That "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered" message was because of me screwing up the config file. You should be able to get in now.

I've switched to a different theme, which will make the new forum look different. In particular, this theme makes it more obvious where you need to click to read the threads.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6837
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 4:28 pm:   

Thanks Thomas, I'd figured you were working on it. Rome wasn't built in a day. I have now been able to sign back in.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 2:49 am:   

Richard, did you have changed your sex on your last trip?

"RichardScotland changed her profile picture."

I am still posting here, because i couldn't sign in in the new forum. I never signed in with my email-adress. So i tried it with my email-adress and my password from here, but no change. May i have asked for access again? Thank's for help.

(Will still try, maybe i figure it out. The above post is from the new forum, so i can read it, but so far no posting.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6838
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 3:03 am:   

My secret is out apparently Markus. I obviously did not get across the last barbed-wire fence as well as I thought.
You should fill in this application for the new forum.

Click on the RED link and you will get the application form. I did NOT use my original email address, nor my original password, and I even changed my user name slightly. It was still accepted.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 3:07 am:   

Already done. Thank's. I am waiting for access.

When you didn't use your original email address, ... (email?).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6840
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 4:22 am:   

I have two email addresses. The Tiscali one gets lots of spam. The Hotmail one is new and it gets hardly any. I prefer to use it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 7:39 am:   

Richard, your screenshot from the new forum looks different from mine. Mine has the same information, but the columns are in different places.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration