Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
?PossibilityAudrey G Schnell 8-16-06  7:50 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Elaine Benton (Solo777)
Solitaire Player
Username: Solo777

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   

Has anyone had trouble with MS-DOS games on Windows XP that will Not play because of needing a VESA driver? Does anyone know how to setup DOS games on Windows XP? Sorry. Thanks in advance for the help and the time. I appologize if this in not the right place to post this.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   

>Has anyone had trouble with MS-DOS games on Windows XP that will Not play because of needing a VESA driver?

You may need to find a VESA driver for your card, which may not be easy to do. There used to be a generic driver (from SciTech?) that worked on most video cards of the time.

A web search turned up the following page which may (or may not :-)) help:
http://www.elys.com/software/vesa/

>Does anyone know how to setup DOS games on Windows XP?

An alternative is to try DOSBox, a DOS emulator that (according to the web site) supports VESA:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

I have not (yet) tried DOSBox, so this is not exactly a recommendation. Results are not guaranteed. :-)

Good luck.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:20 am:   

I was very impressed with the supposed ability of Dosbox to successful run even very demanding DOS games etc. under XP. Be prepared, though, it's no picnic -- you have to in effect set up a virtual drive for each folder/directory that the game uses. So I abandoned it (and most of my DOS games) fairly quickly afterwards.

It would be a thousand times better if it had a good GUI to assist with the setup process. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years since I last looked at it -- it was strictly command-line then (and ghastly command lines, at that), but may have come a long way in upgraded versions since then.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration