Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Free Cell for Windows 98 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Freecell for Win98sudeep pandrekar4-05-06  4:35 am
Windows xp helpAnonymous3-15-04  7:28 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ed Kiley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 9:53 am:   

I recently inadvertantly erased my copy of Free Cell on my Windows 98 machine. Since it came bundled with the hardware, I don't have backup. Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of the original version......nothing fancy. If possible, I would like to find one that I can download.
Thanks
Geri Williams (Geri)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Geri

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:55 am:   

Ed, you should be able to restore it by going into control panel; add remove programs. Select the tab for windows components, uncheck the games options. Reboot your machine, then follow the same steps but this time check the box to choose to have the windows games installed. That should bring back your games. If that doesn't work, you may need to run a re-installation of Windows from the cd. There should be a selection for restoring missing files.
Ed Kiley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   

Thanks, Geri. I tried what you suggested, but found no "Games" entry. The only CD I have that has the original FREE CELL on it is my Recovery Disk, and I hesitate to try that. The last time I tried to recover something off of the Recovery Disk, I kind of wiped out my system.
Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Brita

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   

I've packed the Win98 Freecell files that were shipped with my Windows (98SE) and sent them to you via eMail. Hope it works out for you.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   

The Windows FreeCell is somewhere on the Windows CD-ROM that comes with your computer, but where would depend on what version of Windows you have.

If you would like a better FreeCell than the one that comes with Windows, I suggest you look at our FreeCell Wizard game at <http://www.freecellwizard.com>.
Peter Hazen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 7:07 am:   

I just got an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280 X 1024 and find FreeCell is too small to play at that resolution. Increasing the dpi in display settings (Win XP)doesn't seem to change the game size. Does anyone know how to adjust the FreeCell size?? Maybe through some *.ini file setting? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 9:58 am:   

The FreeCell that comes with Windows has no size change capability. It just has the one size.

Our FreeCell Wizard game at <http://www.freecellwizard.com> allows you to change the size of the window and the size of the cards.
John Adair Jr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 7:29 am:   

My father recently called me as he was having problems with his version of frecell.
He is running win98 and must have at least 20,00 games under his belt by now.
His concern was that his version of frecell was corrupt. I asked him to delete his file and I would email him a replacement.
The file transfer went well, but he has no way of keeping track of his stats. According to him the text comes up garbled and unreadable after each game.

Is there a fix for this? Any and all help is appreciated.

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 5:00 pm:   

>Is there a fix for this? Any and all help is appreciated.

If it is the Windows FreeCell game, I know of none.

If it is one of our games, then as long as he has the contents of the data folder for the game, then the statistics can be retrieved. How you would do that would depend on which game it is, such as Pretty Good Solitaire or FreeCell Wizard. Which game is it?
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

It is the Windows freecell game. Sorry for taking up your time. :-)
Sam Sayger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 9:53 am:   

I'm running Win 98 in a P 450 and have enjoyed free cell for years here. Suddenly, the "frames" inside the Free Cell box have disappeared and as I try and play anyway, the cards stack crazily. A friend sent me his Freecell.exe file and I went to "start", "find" and located my Freecell.exe. which I renamed as Freecell.old. I then installed his copy on my "C" drive.
No help - same problem!!
Any suggestions?/
Thanks in advance
Sam Sayger
Frank D'Urso (Frank_durso)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Frank_durso

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   

download this game and play them instead....

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   

Again, it's really impossible to say what could be going wrong with the Microsoft FreeCell game - that's not our game so there's no way we can help with it.
Sam Sayger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 9:10 pm:   

OK, thanks for the reply.

Frank, did I miss a link there on your posting??

Sam
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:08 am:   

>Frank, did I miss a link there on your posting??

This forum is devoted to Pretty Good Solitaire, which can be found at http://www.goodsol.com. You may be interested to know that the FreeCell deals in PGS (by number) are the same as those in the Microsoft version, plus you get 549 more types of solitaire to play.

For more variety, try Pretty Good MahJongg (http://www.goodmj.com), which has a couple of FreeCell variants played with MahJongg tiles, among several other games.
Frank D'Urso (Frank_durso)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Frank_durso

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:40 am:   

perfectly explained Gregg! Good Luck Sam! Thanks Tom!

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   

And also there is FreeCell Wizard at <http://www.freecellwizard.com>, which is a small collection of just FreeCell type games that also has game numbers compatible with Microsoft FreeCell.

And finally, the place that has links to just about all the FreeCell information that is available is <http://www.freecell.org>.
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 2:36 am:   

Hi All! I'm so glad to find there are others out there "addicted" to Freecell. My family gives me a lot of flack when I'm playing Freecell instead of waiting on them. They try to make me feel guilty for playing "that game". (I think it's more fun and more paticipatory than TV.) I find it really relaxing and I've heard one's brain makes Seratonin while concentrating on a game like that. I'm overwhelmed by all those 100% people! The best average I can maintain is 87%. I did have a run of 60 wins one time though. What do you think we "Freecell people" have in common other than a desire to escape for awhile?
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 8:47 am:   

A long time ago I saw a game (not PGS) that had a "Boss Key". It seems that this was to be hit when you play at work, the boss shows up, and you want to hide your game quickly.

Of course that wouldn't work on people who have to be waited upon.
morag_bisset
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   

Dear Anonymous, that is the interesting question. I suspect it is a desire for private, controlled, but competitive time to oneself. I particularly like the games I seldom win, and I like it as a way of alternating with housework, and general pottering. As a reward for something like cleaning the oven, though I have to admit I don't actually do that, but you know what I mean. Morag
Dan (Ddarling)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Ddarling

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

I need a windows 98 version of free cell...ours was deleted off of the hard drive and I don't have any other files. Would it be possible for someone to email the necessary files to me? Thank you.

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   

The FreeCell game that comes with Windows 98 can be found on your Windows 98 CD-ROM that came with your computer.
Freddie Pagan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:46 pm:   

Hi
I need a windows 98 version of freecell,solitaire and hearts.My games were deleted off of the hard drive.I lost My windows 98 CD-ROM.If someone could e mail me these files i would greatly appreciate it.Thank You
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   

After playing my Windows 98 FreeCell for numerous times my mouse will no longer play it. We got a new mouse (wireless) and thought that was the problem. Tried the old mouse - that used to play it fine - and no luck. It seems OK at the directions, and the instructions, but will not play the cards. Any clues? Sandie
Sheli Klein
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:33 am:   

After installing a McAfee Virus Protection program, my Freecell "freezes up". I have Windows 98, but I can't find my CD that came with the computer. Can anyone help me?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration