Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Towers of Hanoii « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 8:36 am:   

I'm totally stymied. What's the secret to solving this *easy* puzzle? I've never won it Audrey
Frank D'Urso (Frank_durso)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Frank_durso

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:09 am:   

hmm, i've played and won the block version....but can't seem to have teh patience to unwarp the cards....i've only played the cards twice though....i suppose more time would find the answer...
paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

You lost me, Frank. I'm unfamiliar with the *warp* concept. How, then, do you *unwarp* the cards? I'm trying to solve each of the very easy and easy groups at least once before moving on and the Towers have me stuck.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

>What's the secret to solving this *easy* puzzle?

It's rated easy only in the sense that there is a solution, not that it is easy to find. The Tower of Hanoi is a well known math problem - there's a geeky explanation of how to solve it at <http://www.cut-the-knot.com/recurrence/hanoi.shtml>. There is a somewhat more readable explanation at <http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/a.cumming/hanoi/rechel p.html>. A web search on it will find many, many others.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 9:54 am:   

When my children were small they had a set of different sized rings on a pole. Later we played it with different sized coins. After we figured out the method it was just mechanical moving with no need to think much about the strategy.

Of course I forgot how to play it, just af I forgot the strategy for Rubic's Cube.

New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:00 am:   

I meant UNWRAP as oposed to the mistyped UNWARP

it took me 5 tries but finally won!
paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 7:31 pm:   

Thanks, Thomas & Frank. I'm not about to tell you my number of attempts at solving Hanoi; they were beaucoup and I kept trying new games but nada. I need some new neurones. Maybe if I leave that field fallow for a while. Please try to remember, Rachel?

Thomas's web sites were too esoteric for this one.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 6:40 am:   

Instead of trying with the cards, I tried the blocks/coins game. But there's a big difference.

The coin game has one pile and two empty places. I played with five coins because that's what I found at home in different sizes. It was easy to place the coins on one of the two empty piles, so that you always can have two consecutive numbers one on the other. Try it in this simple method, starting with three or four. The number of necessary moves grows very fast when you have more coins/blocks. Instead of looking that up, maybe I'll figure it out, we had this for school homework about 50 years ago.

The difference in the card game is that you don't have two empty piles at the beginning, so you must get the cards out of the way. So this will take some time until I get it.

rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 7:48 am:   

I played 103316326, I'm sure it will work in other games too. First I got the 9 on an empty pile. I always try to make a sequence, both 1-2-3 and 9-8-7 etc. To do that, each time I have to move the group with 1 on top. When the number on which I want to build the pile is even, I start by putting the 1 on that pile. If the base number is uneven, I put the 1 on the other pile, so that I always get a sequence. If I put 1 on 3 or 5 etc, I can't get the even numbers in between.
After you get the 9 on an empty pile, make a snapshot, because if then you get a 7 on it instead of an 8, you have to start from there again.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 7:54 am:   

I don't really do this at 6:40 AM. It is 1:40 PM to 2:53 PM here in Israel, listening to the planes keeping watch against surprises from Iraq.

New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:56 am:   

keep safe and god bless!
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   

103316326 is winnable. the key is to clear the nine and then get it to be teh base card for a foundation, after that it never has to move....and then manuever teh 8 onto it...eventually it gets easier as there are less cards to move...
Alan Poulton (Alan)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Alan

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

After reading this string of messages for the first time yesterday, I went in search of this game. I've always loved Tower of Hanoi, and you're right, Rachel, once you get it, the moves are automatic, requiring no real thought.

The card variation IS definately unique from the coin / ring / block games, because you don't have the empty spots to start. But ALL of them are winnable, as far as I can tell.

The trick is to start making stacks as soon as possible. Even if it's just 3-2-A, do it. Then you move them to the 4, then the 5, all the while trying to free up the 9 to put into an empty space.

I found a strategy that has seemed to help me when moving a stack of cards to another column to free up a number. For instance, if I have 9-8 on one column, and I need to get the 7 on to it next, you have to start by moving the Ace. You have a choice of two columns to move the Ace to, so do an Eenie-meenie kind of thing, but count down instead. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, A. And where the A is, is where you put your A.

Stay with me here, it can go kind of fast because my fingers are trying to keep up with my brain.

The 2 goes on the other column, the A on the 2, then the 3 where the A was. Put the A on the 4 temporarily, the 2 on the 3, then the A on the 2.

Now your 4 is free to move, so put it on the other column, the A on the 4, the 2 to the only place it can go, the A on the 2, the 3 on the 4, the A to the other column, the 2 on the 3, then the A on the 2.

Now your 5 is free to move. And the number of moves required here is more, but the strategy is the same. As long as you know where the first move (the Ace) should go, the rest fall into place.

I don't know how many times I wasn't paying enough attention, made a dozen or so moves and ended up exactly where I started! LOL!

I hope I'm helping, and not just confusing you more!
Alan Poulton (Alan)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   

To add to my previous post, and possibly make things clearer (I hope!)..

The A and the 4 are good friends.

What I mean by this, is when you're moving a stack of 3-2-A and trying to figure out which of the two places to move the A, put it on the 4.

The 2 goes to the 'other' place, then put the A back on the 2. This frees up your 3 and 4, and you should be able to figure it out from there.
paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 8:14 pm:   

Thanks, friends, now I'm off to the Tower. Just so I don't join Ann Boleyn!
paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   

Thanks, friends, now I'm off to the Tower. Just so I don't join Ann Boleyn!
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 3:52 am:   

Tom Warfield - I'm posting here because of the twice sent message above. The last few days I had some trouble with sending messages. When I entered *send* I got - Page cannot be displayed.
I thought the message wasn't sent, but when I went back to the forum, I saw that it was posted,without confirming on my computer. Yesterday I wrote here a long message about the Bhuddist (?) meaning of the game. I had the same error message, but this time the message was completely lost.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 2:32 pm:   

Two links, so you can do something else besides playing cards all day. First the game for small children,
http://www.bellaonline.com/code/tower/
The second is the story behind the game.
http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/games/towers.h tml
I figured out the number of moves neccessary when you have one tower to move, not as in PGS where you have to make order in the mess.
1 ring 1 move
2 rings - 3
4 rings -7
then 15 -31-63- etc, each time 2x2x2... less one. For the nine rings /cards that's 511 moves, which is a little boring. You figure out how many moves you need for 64 rings. (And how long before the world crumbles. We figured it out once, and saw that we had nothing to worry). I'll only tell you that it's one less than the number of wheat grains that the inventor of chess demanded from the Persian Shah , one for the first square, double for each one of the next. I can also guess what happened to his head, but that's another story.
Alan Poulton (Alan)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   

For 9 rings/cards, it's 511 moves to move a completed stack from one column to another. In PGS, the goal of the game is very different, you just have to organize the cards from 9-A, not move them.

I'd like to see a Move Counter in this particular game, just for reference =]
rachel cohen (Rachel)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   

Yes, of course the number of moves would vary according to the deal. If the 9 isn't at the bottom of the pile at the beginning, which would be 8/9 of the time, you do have to move it, first making an empty space for it.

I played three games, the first had a deal that was quite random, the two next were in so well ordered, that if by chance I would have seen them first, I would have gotten the impression that the cards are not random.
paxinc (Paxinc)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 9:18 pm:   

Yes, friends, I thought that my post hadn't made it the first time. It was deflating to see that double posting and I'll try to do better. Bye, Audrey
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

>I played three games, the first had a deal that was quite random, the two next were in so well ordered, that if by chance I would have seen them first, I would have gotten the impression that the cards are not random.

Note that in Tower of Hanoi, there are only 9 cards. This means that there are not that many different ways to order them in comparison to the number of the ways you can order 52 cards. There are far fewer distinct games in Tower of Hanoi than for other games.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration