Making it easier for players to use u... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Making it easier for players to use uploads. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   

Hi Thomas,
We have a recurring problem in the PGS Forum regarding people who don't appear to be willing or able to download or run solutions to games that have been uploaded.
I appreciate that you have a great many other things to occupy you, but would you consider setting up a special page that would get players past the first hurdle of obtaining the links to the games they want to run on their PC's. I often wonder if some players even know what an Address Bar is, far less how to use it.
What I envisage is a page with 3 headed columns into which data could be inserted.
Column 1 would only accept the name of the game, say Accordian.
Column 2 would only accept game numbers.
Column 3 would only accept the link s to the uploaded games.

Once a particular line had been completed, only you would be able to make any alterations or delete it. You could allocate a special password to this page which you would only divulge by email to the most active members of the forum. These players would be responsible for transferring the pertinent data from the recent uploads into the Links Page. Thus after the initial work of creating such a page, the administration of it would be virtually nil.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

Richard,
I'm not sure how this would be easier than the current attachment of game files to posts. The download process would be the same, the downloader would still have to go through all the same steps in order to download the files, with the extra step of having to go to the special page. What would be gained?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:33 am:   

Hi Thomas, Thanks for your response. I suspect that some less PC savvy players are daunted my the seemingly endless stream of instructions for obtaining the uploaded games, and simply give up before they even make a start. Many seem to be confused the instant they open the file (to get the link)and just close it again promptly. Others may not even be familiar with "copy and paste".
Perhaps my "solution" is not a huge advantage. Perhaps I would be better just creating an additional post directly beneath the upload, and inserting the link there.
It vexes me that the entire process is extremely simple and straightforward, and that the vast majority of users would grasp it almost immediately if it was demonstrated to them. The process certainly perplexed me considerably before Ken Blackwell posted the method he'd adopted.
Some screen shots may be the way to go, but I'm not sufficiently genned up myself to facilitate that. Thanks again.
Jeff Dunn (Jdunnpm)
Solitaire Player
Username: Jdunnpm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   

Hi Richard,
Where is Ken's post that explains the process? I can't find the process in Help.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 842
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:34 am:   

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:32 am:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Hi Jeff, It was virtually a one liner. It said "all I do is paste the address into my PGS",
something like that.
Reading between the lines I suspect that you are one of the many players who have yet to master this process. Perpaps I'm wrong. However it would do you no harm to read two recent posts from myself on the subject.
First locate "HELP!! Eight off - 787494438".
Amongst the messages there you will see :-
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:03 pm: and
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:05 pm:
They explain the process in detail. Try it using the game number I was referring to first, and then it's no big deal to apply this method to any uploaded game.All you'd have to do was locate the unique address for whatever game you chose next.
I've rehashed these instructions time and time again. It's becoming very tedious. Some players appear to be embarrassed to admit they can't use the uploads. We should all be friends in the Forum. We all need help on occasions.
Still no joy passing 17 consecutive in "How They Run".
Jeff Dunn (Jdunnpm)
Solitaire Player
Username: Jdunnpm

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   

Yes, Richard, I see now. Before, I had only looked at the Game menu without having a game open, so I didn't see all the options. This is a great help!
BTW, in the 125 games of How They Run I've played, I've able to do no better than two runs of 21 games each. I bet you'll beat that soon.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   

Hi all. Some boards I have seen have either what they call a "Sticky" a message that is always visable that explains certain procedures. Or perhaps a "FAQ" would work. They could be in the main menu. Just wondering.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   

You're very welcome Jeff. Glad to help. Re How They Run, I wouldn't put much money on be beating your runs of 21. It's fun though so I'll return to it frequently.

Yes Mike a message that always remained at the top of the "Is It Winnable" section is a decent suggestion.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration