Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Future of Solitaires « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Andy Lewicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   

Thanks to Thomas for creating so many variations
of our favorite hobby. His work showed me that
we do not need to stick to the old rules, but we can expand our imagination and just play by our
own, home rules. For our pleasure. David Parlett,
with whom I exchanged some ideas and emails, said once that we should be free from tyrany of "official rules" and play for fun of playing
according the rules that suit us the most.
I wonder, where the evolution will take card solitaires ? Let's try to meditate on this issue.
Maybe we will find some new ideas ?
Regards,
Andy.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   

I'm sure new games will be created all the time. The internet could have some effect, although since solitaire is by definition a single player game there probably isn't much that could change.
Sharon Rhoads
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 2:33 am:   

Thomas, bite your tongue! Change is constant. Your changes to PGS for instance. Playing Solitaire on a computer is a big step in the process, putting it on handhelds and then telephones is a change. Maybe playing on a piece of jewelry you wear? Or Solitaire dice sets? it will change as the times and people change. Keep an open, and growing, mind. And thanks for all your wonderful progress so far!
Kat
Patrick Carroll (Patrick)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   

I don't see how innovation would be limited by solitaire being a single-player game. What limits it is how we choose to define it.

Basically, around here, it's defined by the medium--one or more packs of standard playing cards.

Even with that limitation, it's possible to invent a virtually endless number of new games and variations. For example, check out Cat's Cradle by Michael Bourne (a Google search should turn it up--or go to www.pagat.com).

Also consider themed card games--Magic: The Gathering and all its spinoffs, for instance. With some imagination, someone could devise a solitaire game where the cards are representational. E.g., spades = orcs, hearts = elves, clubs = dwarves, diamonds = humans; and the whole game is designed to stylistically simulate a fantasy-fiction battle. Kinda like Beleaguered Castle, except that it'd feel like a castle siege and not just happen to have that name.

Stretch the definition of solitaire beyond standard playing cards, and a whole universe opens up. Just about any computer game is playable by a single person and is therefore a solitaire game. In this sense, a vast range of solitaire games is already being played.

Of course, I admit that's taking it a bit far. Around here, we ought to at least stick to talking about games with standard playing cards.

--Patrick
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

Nice set of new games!! Back down to the original 7 to win. I like three of them very much.

Ken
Mark G. Meyers (Markgm)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Markgm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 8:21 am:   

" I wonder, where the evolution will take card solitaires ? Let's try to meditate on this issue. Maybe we will find some new ideas ?
Regards, Andy. "

The new idea with the Boardwalk variations I posted is that the player is given a range on how to define the foundations. This is not as easy of a game to create, because of all the options the player can exercise, but I have played for so many years, I think it is safe to say that there is no easy trick to be found to sneak around for an easy win. Cheers, Mark
http://www.bwsgames.org

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration