paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 8:43 am:   

I wonder if it is time to review that ratings for each game

I notice the following as an example
All in a row has 95% the ratings in the top scores is 0.4%
British Canister has 10% and actual rating is 0.2% most of these probably the unshuffled deck
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 9:25 am:   

I think there is a concensus of opinion regarding a few of the ratings Paul. Since nobody has ever PROVED that they have won British Canister (in particular), a rating of 10% is farcical. However, when I look at the other side of the coin, I think that purchasers get an excellent deal from Goodsol and that, as a whole, we seem to expect too much. Minor tweeks are being made as and when the guys have time. All of the regulars know which ratings are inaccurate, and also those players we suspect are cheats.I don't let it bother me these days. I love PGS, and I just accept that things are not perfect and that they can never be perfect. No matter what Thomas and Gregg do to improve things there is always going to be a corrupt core who will find a way to appear to be better than the rest of us by posting false stats. They are to be pitied.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:31 am:   

I agree with you Richard, and i think, that the climb-mode is for the stats a real good thing, than i think the climb-mode stats are fair.
So long, a happy new year.

BTW Richard. I started to play Double Sea Tower. The first ten are winnable and hadn't been much experiences (all below 5 minutes). So i think, that normal ST is more interesting, but i will keep on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:43 am:   

Climb-Mode is as near perfect as we are ever likely to get.Those stats are honest.
Unless I'm mistaken Markus, Double Sea Tower is ONLY available for Mac users at the moment.
Happy New Year to one and all, no matter where you live on this imperfect planet.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   

>I wonder if it is time to review that ratings for each game

I have a plan to do just that (by calculating actual winning percentages in climb mode), but it will take a little while to get to that point. We did just adjust the Frog percentage (down to 7%) in the latest PGSME, so piecemeal changes can be made (at the direction of Thomas).
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   

>Unless I'm mistaken Markus, Double Sea Tower is ONLY available for Mac users at the moment.

You are not mistaken, assuming that you specifically meant the climb mode statistics. Double SeaTowers is available in standard PGS (sans climb mode).

>Happy New Year to one and all, no matter where you live on this imperfect planet.

Same to you! Enjoy your Hogmanay for the five hours while I still linger in 2009. :-)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   

The percentage ratings for games are in constant need of adjustment as new information is available. For many new games, the percentage is just an estimate. After a couple of years and enough high score postings, a better estimate can be made.

The percentage is the winning percentage of an average player for that game, not an estimate of theoretical winnability, and thus should be somewhat near the average score of high score postings. Of course, in some games the average on the high score postings is skewed by one or two players, so you need to take that into account.

We are always adjusting these percentages, so if you see one that looks off to you, just email me and I'll take a look at it.

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   

Richard, I don't disagree with any of the glowing things you've said about PGS. But if this is a preview of the kinder, gentler Richard, 2010 is going to be a boring year!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   

Trying to stir the pot are you Ken. And NO. I am not calling Richard a pot of any kind. And somehow I feel with the cast of characters we have around here it will not be boring. To get on topic. Unless there is a large difference between the percentages of winning. I don't see any reason to mess with them. Many players have just raced through hands in 101 to really see what the percentages should be. And of course there are the odd hands that are winnable that have not been solved. As Richard points out to me very often after I have given up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   

The kinder disposition expires at "The Bells" in another 40 minutes. After that you are all in deep mulesh8.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   

How much New Years joy have you had so far?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration