New way of "making" statistics Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » New way of "making" statistics « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
StatisticsThomas Warfield 5-28-04  9:41 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Andy Lewicki (Ondraszek23)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Ondraszek23

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   

In order to make statistics more reliable here is what I propose: only games with concecutive 15 or more numbers ( e.g 100 - 115, or 2300-2350)would be allow to be submitted to the web. This way we would eliminate those "hard working solitaire players" who could win 1000 Calculations in a row. It would be like beta testing.
Ondraszek23.
Miriam Frankort (Miriam)
Solitaire Player
Username: Miriam

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 11:28 am:   

I get the impression that the new way of submitting the statistics is a lot more secure. I don't see unbelievable statistics anymore.

But if anybody is crazy enough to play the same game over and over and over again, let him do it. It is an achievement after all. Just imagine sitting at your computer playing game number 342342342 voor the umptiest time. Anyone who can stand this much boredom deserves a medal. :-)
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   

Miriam,

I am amazed - are there people who sit and play the same hand over and over just to build their stats?? I don't think they deserve medals; they should have their heads examined!

I love to play PGS and have my favorites which I play hundreds or even tousands of times. Now and then through newsletters or comments from y'all (I have spent my last 33 years in North Carolina!)I discover new games which become favorites.

I love the new way of updating the stats, yet the stats are not the main thing for me. There is a great satisfaction in playing and solving the problems which come up and I practically always just play the game number that comes up. I replay when I think I can do better with a different approach, but I am definitely not a 'slave' under the stats.

Another positive aspect of the new way of reporting scores is that it gives you such a direct feeling of participating in such an international event. You see your own scores surrounded by scores for players all around the world. I think that is pretty exciting.
Frank D'Urso (Frank_durso)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Frank_durso

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   

I agree with Kjell!!!

I haven't played much since last july, and it seems though that I cannot update my scores....

I need to upgrade my membership? Did everyone have to do this? Does it mean I have to pay for the program again?

Well, after I figure out how to get my scores onto my new computer I'll register : )

maybe this weekend!!!!!
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 710
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 9:51 am:   

You can still submit scores with the old versions, the scores will be posted on the new score lists after a week or so delay.

If you originally ordered the 500 version or last year's version 9, then this year's version is a free update, otherwise you can upgrade at <http://www.goodsol.com/upgrade.html>.

Ella Prest
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 5:02 pm:   

I was unable to submit scores from the old version, I D/L and paid for and registered the upgrade when moving my scores they left my old version and never arrived on the new stats, 3 years of stats floating around somewhere in cyberspace :-( Oh well I'm trying some new games, I was getting in a rut anyway, I love these games Thanks Thomas for providing me with hours of unboredom ..... Ella
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:47 am:   

You may need to copy your statistics from the old version to the new version. Just copy the contents of the data folder.

In version 7.2 and earlier, the data folder is the Games folder under the main program folder (for the Quest Edition, this would usually be C:\Program Files\goodsol01\Games).

In version 8.0 and higher, the data folder location depends on the version of Windows. In Windows 98/ME, it is usually the C:\Windows\Application Data\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire folder. In Windows NT/2000 and XP, it is usually the C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows User Name]\Application Data\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire folder, where [Windows User Name] is your user name for Windows.
Ella Prest (Daizy)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Daizy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   

Thank you Thomas, my 21 yo Grandson found my scores with your info and they are now on the new stats :-)
Aren't grandkids wonderful?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration