Layout in Eagle Wing games Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Mac Edition » Layout in Eagle Wing games « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Daniel Holt (Starbuck65)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Starbuck65

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 6:48 pm:   

Not sure if this is intentional, but the card at the top of the left wing is higher than the card at the top of the right wing, making the layout oddly asymmetrical.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 1:45 am:   

Daniel, that's right, but i would say, that the top of the right wing is to low. Look at the spaces between other two cards, then you will see, that the top of the left wing is on the right position.
I think, Gregg will fix that for the next version.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 3:39 am:   

I think the idea may have been to try and resemble wings in flight. They would look better at the same height but this does not affect how it plays.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 10:23 am:   

>Not sure if this is intentional, but the card at the top of the left wing is higher than the card at the top of the right wing, making the layout oddly asymmetrical.

Oops! It was not intentional, but rather a slip of the fingers (which was duplicated 14 times for all of the related bonus games :-)).

Thanks for the report.

>Gregg will fix that for the next version.

Yup!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   

Hi Gregg, i was so concentrated on playing the games, that i didn't recognize this asymmetrical bug. Will look in the future also for such things.
(The problem is now: when you know it, you see it all the time.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   

BTW Gregg, will be Haystack in the next version?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 10:41 am:   

>BTW Gregg, will be Haystack in the next version?

It looks unlikely at this point, but you never know. :-)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 1:41 am:   

Gregg, one more thing. Sometimes, when i want to upload a file, i get an error message. Don't ask exactly what there is standing. When i then rename the file (mostly with a shorter name) and try to upload the renamed file, it works. What do you think is the problem? Am (?) i sending you the error report with an email when it appears again?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 9:53 am:   

>Sometimes, when i want to upload a file, i get an error message.

Do you mean when you want to upload a file to this forum?

>[Should I send] you the error report with an email when it appears again?

If the problem is with uploading to the forum, you should either post the error report here or send it to the general Goodsol support address; I am not in a position to resolve forum issues.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   

Ok.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 1:30 pm:   

Hi Gregg, me again. I recognized some little differences between Fan and Free Fan. Not the rules, but look yourself:

Fan Free Fan

I hope you see the differences how cards are put onto another of the same suit.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 1:34 pm:   

I wanted also ask, if there is a Fan variation with only 1 free cell to put a card and not 2 as in Free Fan. That would be maybe the best combination for Fan and Free Fan. With two storage cells i would say, that it is nearly always winnable and you can correct error moves. With just one i would say, that are more Fan games winnable, but the skill factor is still high.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 2:07 pm:   

>I hope you see the differences how cards are put onto another of the same suit.

The fan games always show the bottom three cards, and the others are packed tightly (because they have to be in order). As far as I can tell, both of these images show the same thing.

>I wanted also ask, if there is a Fan variation with only 1 free cell to put a card and not 2 as in Free Fan.

The simple reason for that was two cells guarantees that every card is accessible at the start of the game, whereas only a single cell makes it possible for a card to be unavailable (if it on the bottom of a pile under a King).

>That would be maybe the best combination for Fan and Free Fan. With two storage cells i would say, that it is nearly always winnable and you can correct error moves. With just one i would say, that are more Fan games winnable, but the skill factor is still high.

To be honest, the current rules for Free Fan were accidental. When I originally designed the game, I did not allow any cards into spaces (making it a challenge), but the PGS implementation allowed Kings in spaces. When I tested it, I played it according to my rules and failed to notice the difference.

Once a game has been published, it is a little harder to make changes (without upsetting players). :-)

I agree that the current PGS implementation is definitely close to 100% winnable. We will certainly consider different variations of Free Fan as more games get implemented for PGSME.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   

"The fan games always show the bottom three cards, and the others are packed tightly (because they have to be in order). As far as I can tell, both of these images show the same thing.
"

They show the same thing, but in different ways. In Free Fan the "cards are shuffled up" (?) (left picture) so that you can every card (but not the rank).
Here is a better picture for Fan:

As you see, the cards are much more close to each other, that you can see only a black ... (?) and not every card. Can you see what i mean. That`s the different.
I recognized it at once, when i played Free Fan again after about 400 Fan games. When you are used to the closer one, then the Free Fan ... (?) "is coming up at once".

(Sorry for my English today, but i am very tired.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   

How far you are with the next 100 games?

BTW one more question. I would like to play more Eagle Wings, but with the current variations i am not happy. The luck factor is too high. Is there a game like Eagle Wings, where you can fill spaces with every card? That would rise the skill factor a lot. With just one redeal for example.
If not, can i think about the rules and send then to you the rules and you and Thomas includes this variation maybe in future Editions?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 2:32 pm:   

>As you see, the cards are much more close to each other, that you can see only a black ... (?) and not every card.

Ah, the card spreading on Fan and Free Fan are slightly different, so Free Fan allows the piles a little bit more room (and less space between piles). Fortunately, this is entirely aesthetic and should have no impact on game play.

>How far you are with the next 100 games?

Honestly, that is not something I am going to answer here. :-) Thomas will make an announcement when the update is ready (and probably earlier, at the point we need beta testing).

>If not, can i think about the rules and send then to you the rules and you and Thomas includes this variation maybe in future Editions?

You can always send game ideas for consideration, though there are no guarantees about any particular game being included. (Thomas has final say over which games are included in any version.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 2:52 pm:   

>this is entirely aesthetic and should have no impact on game play<

It has no impact on game play. "It comes to your eyes" (?) when you play both games at same time.

>Honestly, that is not something I am going to answer here.<

Understandable (i knew your answer before, but asking didn't cost anything).

>(and probably earlier, at the point we need beta testing)<

Hope dies last.
Daniel Holt (Starbuck65)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Starbuck65

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 7:08 pm:   

Is there a current beta that needs testing?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:31 am:   

It will come, when Gregg has the next 100 games finished, but i don't know, when this happens.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 9:15 am:   

>Is there a current beta that needs testing?

Not currently, but there are two Mac Edition products that will need beta testing fairly soon, so please keep checking here. (I will try to remember to post a note in this thread, too.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 3:57 am:   

>but there are TWO Mac Edition products that will need beta testing fairly soon<

Two? Very interesting, very interesting.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 7:44 am:   

Gregg, have you any news about the TWO Mac Edition products?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 3:44 pm:   

>Gregg, have you any news about the TWO Mac Edition products?

"No news is good news"? :-)

I expect that some announcements will be made this month [April, 2010]. No fooling.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:18 am:   

Such infos on 1. of april? I really hope you are not fooling.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 12:15 am:   

>Such infos on 1. of april? I really hope you are not fooling.

Hey, you were the one who asked on April Fools Day, not me. :-)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 1:46 am:   

I didn't think about that day when i posted it. Interesting is the time. 7:44 AM, that means 3:44 PM in my time, but i was in front of my students at that time. It's a miracle.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration