Speeding up Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Mac Edition » Speeding up « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   

Gregg, some people in the forum cannot understand, how it is possible to play games as fast as the stats show. Can you explain them what happens with the following clicks:

one click (card is moving to a possible position (like right-clicking in the PC-Edition))
double clicking on a card (card is moving and all cards, which are possible onto the foundation are moving there)
triple clicking (when it is already winnable, then all cards are moving onto the foundation and time is ending)

Thank you for your explanations.

P.s.: Maybe also, that the screenshot button is working properly in PGSME.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   

Sorry, i forgot also "cmd i", the hint move which is "ctrl h" in normal PGS.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 6:24 pm:   

>some people in the forum cannot understand, how it is possible to play games as fast as the stats show.

From reading the forum, I am not sure that anybody really doubts your times, but I can describe some of the time savers in Pretty Good Solitaire Mac Edition. Here goes... :-)

Simply clicking (or right-clicking) on a card moves it to a valid location (if one exists), which is usually much faster than dragging.

Double-clicking does not really do anything different with the cards, per se, but any click (i.e., the second one) or key press aborts the current animation(s) and immediately makes the move or moves. When multiple moves are made automatically (see 'AutoPlay'/'AutoMove' below), this can save lots of time.

All of the games in PGSME have keyboard support, so many moves can be made via key presses. While it is often slower to play a complete game this way, judicious use of the feature can greatly speed up some games. (For example, using the [Tab] key to deal from the stock in Klondike games saves extra mouse movements and, thus, time.)

The 'AutoPlay' feature automatically makes valid and safe card moves to foundation piles (in games where this is applicable), which is also a time-saver, especially when the mouse is clicked an extra time to short-circuit the animations.

In these same games, the 'AutoMove' feature (invoked from the menu or toolbar) does the same thing, except 1) it works even when 'AutoPlay' is turned off, and 2) it makes all valid foundation moves (regardless of whether or not they are safe).

Many times, serious players recommend turning off 'AutoPlay' because it can make a poor choice of cards sometimes (particularly in multi-deck games) and, at the end of the game, there is no chance to save it for posting in the forum. This choice, however, is likely to increase times.

Sometimes, one wants to temporarily disable 'AutoPlay'; this can be done by holding down the [Command] key (or [Ctrl] on Windows). This is especially convenient when undoing a sequence of automatic moves to correct a suboptimal play.

Finally, as mentioned, the 'Hint' command can be invoked via Command-I (or Ctrl-H in Windows). This command makes a valid move from the current position, if one exists. There is no strategy involved in the selection, which is fine for some games, and for others it is only really useful to determine whether one is stuck.

Oh, yeah: Practice, practice, practice. :-)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   

Thanks Gregg.

I know a lot of speeding tricks, but how B Nelson can play 178 (173-5) Baker's Game games with an average time of 25.5 seconds is a secret to me too. (My best score is 40.2 seconds for a game and i am the leader in this category in climb mode, just in front of you). Do you have any explanation how this is possible?

http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/bak ersgame_gse.html

P.s.: You know my other question, don't you?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 8:56 am:   

>I know a lot of speeding tricks, but how B Nelson can play 178 (173-5) Baker's Game games with an average time of 25.5 seconds is a secret to me too. (My best score is 40.2 seconds for a game and i am the leader in this category in climb mode, just in front of you). Do you have any explanation how this is possible?

Yes, I know exactly how this is possible. B Nelson is not playing in Climb Mode, which means that he/she can select and "play" the unsorted deal, #2147483647, which (for Baker's Game) is completed automatically by AutoPlay/AutoMove. His best score is 1.7 seconds (which I could beat, if I cared :-)).

>P.s.: You know my other question, don't you?

"Coming soon..."
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 9:53 am:   

I saw his best score with the cheating-number. But that means, he must have played 177 games normally and then he have a average time of 25.63 seconds. Will you say me, that he has played that number more than one time?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:14 am:   

>Will you say me, that he has played that number more than one time?

That would be my guess. Perhaps he/she found the number and played it lots of times trying to get down to that 1.7 seconds. Unless and until "B Nelson" plays climb mode, we will not have a fair comparison.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   

"Coming soon..."
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 4:33 am:   

Gregg, it was already mentioned in the newsletter, but i am still waiting. (B. t.???)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   

>Gregg, it was already mentioned in the newsletter, but i am still waiting.

... and we are still working. :-)

Seriously, the newsletter is the official source for the information about upcoming products. You will no doubt notice that there are several projects in the works, but the particular one you are after is definitely on the way.

(I am posting this at almost 1:00am my time, so that should give you an idea of our commitment.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:55 am:   

I noticed all the games you are working on. But it seems, that my patience have still to improve. Maybe i have to play one of the harder games to improve it.
Thanks for your work and i will wait. (I don't have another choice.) ;-)

P.s.: Don't forget to get some sleep.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 1:13 am:   

>Don't forget to get some sleep.

I just knew I had forgotten something. :-)

G'night!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration