Canfield-games question, and a sugges... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » Canfield-games question, and a suggestion « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 9:22 am:   

These are totally unrelated to each other, and probably should have gone into separate threads, but I'm getting old and lazy, so my apologies.

1) Pardon my ignorance, but what's the (presumably historical or literary) significance of the devil-icon for the Canfield-games group?

2) In a future version, would it be possible to set the Details view so that it remembers column resizing from session to session? I don't need the Game Type column, particularly if I'm using mostly the Most Recent group, but I have to redo that each time.

Thanks and best,
Mike
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 9:21 am:   

>These are totally unrelated to each other, and probably should have gone into separate threads, but I'm getting old and lazy, so my apologies.

This is not a problem (as the same excuse applies for me, too :-)).

>1) Pardon my ignorance, but what's the (presumably historical or literary) significance of the devil-icon for the Canfield-games group?

There are precious few solitaire/patience experts. :-)

Anyway, the icon is based on the alternate name of Canfield, which is "Demon".

>2) In a future version, would it be possible to set the Details view so that it remembers column resizing from session to session?

Actually, Action Solitaire 1.1 should already be saving the column sizes between sessions. It works perfectly fine here, so if this is not behaving properly for you, please give us more information so we can try to reproduce the issue.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Hi again, and thanks.

With regard to the resizing, what I do is move the next column (I forget what it is, highest score?) to the left so that the Game Type column is effectively zero-width. And while it'll keep that setting while moving between groups, or playing a game and then returning to the main menu, it "forgets" it if I exit Action Sol and then restart it.

I'm running under Win XP Home, SP2 plus all other updates, at 600x800 True-Color. If you need any other system info, please let me know.

On a related note, the "Reset" button in the game -- while I didn't see anything about that in the Help or elsewhere, for me it immediately returns all column widths to their original settings.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 1:10 am:   

>And while it'll keep that setting while moving between groups, or playing a game and then returning to the main menu, it "forgets" it if I exit Action Sol and then restart it.

The settings are saved in the registry, so it sounds like it is not getting saved correctly or is somehow being rolled back to a previous state.

Please confirm that you are running the latest version of Action Solitaire (1.1), and try the following:

- start the game and make the desired change to the column sizes
- click the 'Options' button and uncheck the 'Play game sounds' checkbox (or check it, if previously unchecked)
- click 'OK' on the dialog box (to save settings)
- click the 'Exit' button to quit the program
- restart the program and verify that the column sizes and sound options are as most recently set
- restore sound setting as desired

I suspect that either you are running software that is deliberately "protecting" the registry, hence removing normal functionality, or that there is a problem with the registry being actually saved to disk.

The fact that the settings are maintained during a session, even when starting and returning from a game, strongly suggests that something external to the program is causing the problem. The game list is recreated each time it appears, using options saved in the registry, so Windows is reporting that the correct values are saved. I have been unable to reproduce the error here.

There are lots of possibilities for external failure points, so your report on what happens as a result of the above actions should help me get a better idea what is causing the problem.

Oh, yeah... the 'Reset' option is working exactly as intended. You aren't selecting it just before quitting, are you? :-)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:05 am:   

Thanks for the suggestions -- and my apologies for not reporting back sooner, I've only just now got around to trying them.

Everything's fine now -- I even tried a reboot before restarting the game, just in case that affected registry entries, and still no problems.

While I have several security apps, none of them offers resident protection of the registry, which is (I think) what you were suggesting. The only thing even remotely close is Javacool's Spyware Blaster, and that works by setting kill-bits for known ActiveX baddies.

It's possible that registry cleaning, which I normally do once a week, was the culprit. JV-16, which I use, is pretty conservative in what it chooses to list as questionable, but of course anything's possible. I'll see if the problem comes up again this coming weekend, since you've now shown me indirectly how the game neatly repairs whatever it needs in the registry.

Thanks again, and best.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:17 am:   

Further to the above, I just tried something that's probably been happening all along -- and bingo, it appears it IS in the game and something you can reproduce.

My wife's in as a second player, and her settings are still for icons. If I switch to her and then back to myself, my Details columns are back to their defaults. And since she likes to play when, say, I'm out walking the dog, this player-change thing typically happens a few times a day.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

Excellent! :-)

I am now able to reproduce the error here, and I will make sure that this bug is fixed in the next version.

Thanks, Mike.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   

Sorry, Gregg, I just became aware tonite of another circumstance where the same thing happens -- a programmer's work is never done, right? lol But hopefully your bug-fix will cover this too.

If I lose a game (i.e., unable to complete a level) and press the Exit button that's within the "Level over" (or however it's worded) window, I get the same reset-to-default thing.

I haven't really paid attention to whether this behavior is consistent, sorry, but hopefully it's reproduceable at your end.
Tomo
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 84.68.44.85
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:51 am:   

Solution to game #718

(Message approved by admin)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:40 am:   

>Solution to game #718

Action Solitaire does not have visible/selectable game numbers, so it appears that your post was intended for a different part of this forum.

I suggest reposting your request in the 'Is it Winnable?' section (../18/18.html"MB">

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration