Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » Statistics « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 7:43 am:   

I would like to be able to delete games selectively in Action Sol. When I play a game, I am trying for a high score, and would like to be able to look at my stats, and decide whether to continue, or start a new game. Since the point is to get a high score to post, averages are totally meaningless and unnecessary, Games stopped because of a bad/unlucky round clutter up the stats list. I would like to delete all BUT my highest scores, so I can refer to it quickly. If this can't be done, could there be another choice for stat list included in the next version?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   

>I would like to be able to delete games selectively in Action Sol.

This has been requested and added to our list of features to consider for a future version.

The primary concerns are whether we can maintain consistency among the Goodsol games and how this change would affect the reported statistics. A feature like this would allow, for example, a player to delete all losing games and thus show a 100% winning record in Pretty Good Solitaire or Pretty Good MahJongg.

In Action Solitaire, deleting the low scores would skew the average score (but only for the players using the feature), so it would not be an accurate representation of the game. We need to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

We shall see... :-)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:31 am:   

In the other games, percentages are reported. In Action Sol, only highs scores are important. I have no interest in average scores for any of the PGS or AS games I play, though I concede that someone may use this feature. If I am going for a top score, I will start over, every time I get an early bad round, and these scores are what I'd like to delete, so I can refer quickly to the stats chart, withour wading through the aborted games.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:16 pm:   

>... so I can refer quickly to the stats chart, withour wading through the aborted games.

For an immediate solution, simply click on the 'Rank' or 'Score' button at the top of statistics list and it will be sorted by rank/score.

All of the aborted games will then be down in the shallow end. :-)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 6:51 am:   

I like to use the large cards whenever possible, however, for some games this creates a side scrolling bar, which adjusts itself according to the position of the cursor, resulting in the game's moving up and down a lot, and the loss of the score/time and round/goal blocks during play. Is there something I can do to eliminate this problem, other than use smaller cards? The take score button's movability is really a great thing, and would be a good feature for the score/time and round/goal blocks for another version. I have eliminated the bottom toolbar. Help, please? I just do not like to use small cards, when the game can be played with large ones. Thanks!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 8:43 am:   

>I like to use the large cards whenever possible, however, for some games this creates a side scrolling bar, which adjusts itself according to the position of the cursor, resulting in the game's moving up and down a lot, and the loss of the score/time and round/goal blocks during play. Is there something I can do to eliminate this problem, other than use smaller cards?

Yes, you just need to disable the automatic scrolling feature.

Select 'Options|Options...' from the menu, and then you will see (on the 'General' tab) a checkbox to 'Enable automatic scrolling'. Clear that checkbox, click 'OK', and you should be good to go. :-)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   

Back to "selective" trimming of stats. Annika's idea of trimming the stats was something I was about to suggest, till I saw there was already a thread here about that.

The new Rapunzel is one that falls into the play-over-and-over category for me, and as result the stats (and corresponding data file) can become humungous. I don't want to simply clear the stats, losing top games as well as poor ones, but right now it's an all-or-nothing choice.

What if the proposed new feature didn't permit the player to select the specific games (or how many) to be deleted, but automatically retained a specific reasonable number (15-20-25?) of the highest games while clearing the rest? Sure, the stats would still be skewed some, but maybe a little more consistently and fairly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

>Back to "selective" trimming of stats.

Based on your comments, I have elevated this suggestion to the top of the list for features to be considered for the next version.

Because of the nature of Action Solitaire, putting the emphasis only on high scores (as opposed to statistics), I actually do not see any serious problem with selective deletion of game scores from local results.

Of course, there would not be any (easy) way to delete a score that was already reported online, but I suspect that those are not the ones anybody would be deleting anyway. :-)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 9:54 am:   

(Sorry, I'm not familiar with HTML code for quotes and such. But I do know UBB code, which I think is just a sub-set of HTML anyway. Have to see if it works here.) (No it didn't, or at least not in [i]....[/i] form, so I took that back out.)

--Of course, there would not be any (easy) way to delete a score that was already reported online, but I suspect that those are not the ones anybody would be deleting anyway.--

I'm afraid I did just that, cleared my Rapunzel stats which included a few posted scores. But there's (currently) no other way of trimming down a history that was getting upwards of 100 games. It's not like PGS, for instance, in which typically one common goal for many of us is a large an unbroken string of wins as possible.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:00 am:   

Follow-up -- I just looked at the help files re coding, and while the functions are virtually identical for UBB and HTML, the "command" codes are set up totally differently. Oh, well, even at 60-plus and brain-injured, this old dog can still learn new tricks. <grin>

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration