Spider Web bug Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » Spider Web bug « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Zotmeister
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:40 pm:   

In both v0.94 and v0.96, Spider Web is too quick to call a round: the player's score is taken (with the 10,000-point bonus for "clearing all the cards") as soon as all tableau piles are empty, even if the stock and/or web still contain cards. The easiest way to duplicate this is to simply drag all 24 starting cards dealt to the tableau straight to the reserve - the hand will end right away. It would appear that exploiting this won't yield a high score - all one gets is the 10,000 for clearance, and the clock doesn't make up for all the other points along the way; I tried using just this trick to finish rounds as fast as possible and didn't break 300,000. The problem is quite the opposite - it is *shortchanging* players points by ending the hand before they can finish!

I discovered this when I developed the strategy of discarding one suit to the web outright, using only three in the tableau (reminds me of some of the Pretty Good Mahjong solitaires!); when all the, say, Spades are out of the way, it's much easier manipulating and lining up the Clubs, Hearts, and Diamonds. With seven empty tableau piles and all the Spades in the web, it's impossible to not be able to put the Spades in sequence no matter what order they are in on the web, so it will always be safe to simply put off handling the Spades until after the three other suits are removed... but this bug prevents that, stopping the round right away while I still have 13,500 easy points to score.

However, this *can* be exploited - a player who gets stuck can, rather than press Take Score, drag the whole tableau into the web; if he can do it faster than it would take 10,000 points to drain off the clock, he'd turn a profit, and that will almost always be the case (the original 24 cards can be dragged to the web in under 2,000 points worth of time). For this reason, it may be necessary to reset the scoreboard for Spider Web once this bug is fixed (and of course, scores made on versions predating the bug-fix can no longer be accepted). - ZM, always playing fair
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 2:06 am:   

>In both v0.94 and v0.96, Spider Web is too quick to call a round: the player's score is taken (with the 10,000-point bonus for "clearing all the cards") as soon as all tableau piles are empty, even if the stock and/or web still contain cards.

Great catch, and excellent description. :-)

This bug will be corrected in the next version of Action Solitaire.

Thanks!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration