Reinstalling on new computer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Download and Installation Problems » Reinstalling on new computer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
PGS install on XP ProfThomas Warfield 10-13-03  3:12 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Judy Jack
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   

I'm moving my stuff to a new computer. I've managed to get my registration code in, but how do I bring across all my stats?
Stephen Thomas (Stephen_thomas)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Stephen_thomas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:28 am:   

Instructions can be found here:

http://www.goodsol.com/support/data.html
susanne henauer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   

I had to reset my computer. I've managed to get my registration code in, but how do I bring in all my stats?
I have read the instructions on http://www.goodsol.com/support/data.html but I cannot find this folder on my pc (i'm using win 2000....C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows
User Name]\Application Data\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire folder, where
[Windows User Name] is your user name for Windows.
please answer soon with email..thanks
joe lechnetr (Joe)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Joe

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 5:55 am:   

i am having the same problem new and old comp ran win xp home i got my file from my old comp three user groups on the new one all users, compaq_user, and owner can not find where goodsol keeps the new comp stats no matter wher i put my old stats they do not show up help
Stephen Thomas (Stephen_thomas)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Stephen_thomas

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:30 am:   

Assuming you use owner to log in to Windows, you should find the Application Data folder within the owner folder. However, it may be hidden because this is the default state under Windows XP.
To make it visible:

1. Open up My Computer
2. Go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options
3. Select the View tab
4. In the Advanced settings window look for the Hidden files and folders entry and select the radio button alongside Show hidden files and folders.
5. Click on Apply.

After you've finished it's advisable to hide the folder again by selecting the radio button alongside Do not show hidden files and folders and clicking on OK.

I hope this helps
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 991
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:51 am:   

Joe, in addition to what Stephen wrote, note that if you have multiple Windows users, there will be different statistics for each Windows user. This is because Windows stores application data in a different folder for each Windows user. So if you log on as one user, you won't see the statistics from another Windows users.
maureen howieson (Maureen)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Maureen

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8:59 am:   

could you please tell me if there is a way to save me having to start from scratch when I have to reinstall windows. My computer was down three times and even when I re-enter my name on the game I usually have to start from the begining. Thanks
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 9:11 am:   

Maureen,
If you are reinstalling Windows, you are probably going to have to reinstall the game. Reinstalling Windows usually erases everything and you have to reinstall.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   

>If you are reinstalling Windows, you are probably going to have to reinstall the game.

As I read this, I think that Maureen was referring to retaining her statistics after she reinstalls the software.

>My computer was down three times and even when I re-enter my name on the game I usually have to start from the begining.

If you still have access to the computer, backup the Pretty Good Solitaire data folder. In Windows XP (or Windows 2000), it is:

"usually the C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows User Name]\Application Data\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire folder, where [Windows User Name] is your user name for Windows." (from http://www.goodsol.com/support/data.html)

After reinstalling Pretty Good Solitaire on the new copy of Windows, you should be able to restore the same folder and have all of your previous statistics available. (You will have to reset your 'Favorites', however.)

If you do not have access to the data folder, then you will probably have to restart again. In any case, if your statistics are important to you, I would recommend backing up the PGS data folder regularly in case of a system crash.

I hope that helps. :-)
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   

Gregg, you remind me that I lost my favorites more than once, and I probably forgot some games that I liked. I hope that in the new PGS there will be some convenient way to save this list.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:16 am:   

>I hope that in the new PGS there will be some convenient way to save this list.

Honestly, I am not sure how likely that will be (though it is on the suggestion list).

However, for now, here is how one can backup (and later, restore) the 'Favorites' for all players in the current version of Pretty Good Solitaire.

1. Run 'regedit.exe'
2. Highlight the following "key" on the left:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Goodsol\PGS\Favorites
3. Select 'File|Export...' from the menu
4. Save the above registry key to disk
5. Backup the registry (.reg) file as appropriate

To restore the favorites later, simply browse to the registry file (in Windows Explorer) and double-click on it. Alternatively, one can run 'regedit.exe' and use the 'File|Import...' menu option, and browse from there.

NOTE: This backup/restore process only works for ALL users, so restoring a backup will overwrite any previous 'Favorites' for every player name.

WARNING: Never explicitly change any settings in the registry unless you know exactly what you are doing. Altering a value incorrectly could invalidate a license code or even cause Windows to fail to boot.

In many cases, it is probably easier just to write down or print the 'Favorites' list and add the games manually. :-)
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

I take this "Warning" seriously and never alter the registry. After several losses of the list I saved a screenshot of the first page of the list. Since I saved that, I never had to use it, but if there were a convenient way to print the whole list (not copy it manually) it would be a good solution.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration