Goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire

Demons & Thieves 630066368

Demons & Thieves 630066368

Is it winnable

Comments

• Yes, Demons & Thieves #630066368 is winnable, but it is not easy.

I started by moving the 7S onto the 8S, and then the JD (reserve) onto the QC. After that, I worked the left side of the tableau, keeping the space as much as possible, never touching the reserve again until the last time through the stock. I did need to make at least a couple of "odd" moves, where a sequence moves from a side of the tableau where it is legal to the other (where it isn't).

I saved the game (in Windows) just prior to the victory, so I can post it if you need further assistance. (If you need Mac instead, then I can recreate it there; if you need it for iPad/iPhone, I will see what I can do. 😉)

Gregg 🐵

• Yes it is winnable. I haven't played this game for years but I became very good at it back in the day. I tried to win them all with re-deals left unused. This was the worst one I've ever encountered. I used every trick in the book. Attaching my solution in case you know how to use them. Please get back to me in this thread and we will take it from there. Are you using Windows and what solitaire collection are you using.

It's pretty late here. About to hit the sack

• If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well. This time the game has been won with a re-deal to spare.

• Nobody likes a showoff, Richard!🤩

• Even if they are perfect in every respect like me?

The above game was very difficult but I chose to replay it and try to maintain my record of winning them all with at least one re-deal to spare. Demons & Thieves is a great game. Don't let the 96% rating fool you. See if you can win Nos. 1 - 10 without coming unstuck. 😊

• edited September 2021

In case anyone is feeling ambitious / daring / glaikit, ..... numbers 1 to 10 inclusive are all winnable without using any of the re-deals. Oops, I appear to have dropped a gauntlet. 😮

• Hell, I don't even know what glaikit means!🤔

• Get someone to Google it for you Ken? 😉

I was surprised when the spellchecker here accepted it without question.

• This is what I found:

"Dreich has beaten braw, glaikit and scunnered to be named as the “most iconic Scottish word".

Do you agree?

• Ha! Fantastic Ken. 😃 Billy Connolly once Christened one of our weather girls Moira Dreich, and her forecast for that day was "Pxxxing again". Scunnered is a word I use quite frequently. Just the way it's said imparts its meaning accurately. To this very day I associate it with "ScunnerCampbell, played by the late Iain Cuthbertson, who was the main antagonist in the 1980s TV series Super Gran. She, Gudrun Ure is now 95.

I think that Scottish words should be used far more frequently over here. As schoolchildren were were reprimanded for using any and were told to "speak properly". This Anglification campaign has been going on for centuries. I fear it may be having some success. Aberdonians in particular tend to use Doric in everyday speech unless someone in the conversation is not familiar with it. You find that you quite quickly start using it too as a matter of course. Ironically, Scots in other areas may not understand it. Glaikit eedyits.

Have you attempted my Demons & Thieves challenge? Once you get your head round the rules I think you'll really enjoy it.