Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
How do i play sollitaire with real cards?mariana 7-20-06  2:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Patrick Carroll (Patrick)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   

Years ago, when personal computers were new, I scoffed at my wife for taking a liking to computer solitaire. "Why, you don't need a computer for that," I said. "All you need is a deck of cards."

I said that in a computer store, and someone who overheard me said, "Yeah, you can play it with cards, but there's still something cool about playing it on the computer." My wife, to this day, says she'd never play solitaire at all if she had to use real cards.

So, how 'bout you? Do you play only with cards, only on the computer, or both? And what do you think about the two?

Me, I've been trying in vain to wean myself off the computer for years. I'm about to tackle solitaire with good old-fashioned cards as a step in that direction.

--Patrick
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:19 am:   

First of all, Patrick, it is good to see you here. :-)

>So, how 'bout you? Do you play only with cards, only on the computer, or both? And what do you think about the two?

Obviously, I play solitaire on the computer quite often, and the nature of this forum should definitely skew the results in that direction.

That said, I also play solitaire using real playing cards fairly regularly. There is nothing like the physical sensation of shuffling and dealing cards, which I find very satisfying.

When playing with real cards, I normally play a limited range of games, those which I know well. On the other hand, the computer allows me to play a huge variety of games, with different challenges, much more easily. The rule checking, help files, and ability to undo one or more moves make computer play more convenient.

When I was a kid, I used to fly cross country on airplanes, back in the day when the airlines gave out free decks of cards. The tray tables were never quite large enough to play Klondike or Pyramid Solitaire, so I usually ended up playing Aces Up while imagining my dream computer. Now I can play solitaire on a laptop that exceeds all of my wildest dreams, while fitting on that same tray table.

Either way, I really enjoy playing solitaire, and I believe that the mental challenge helps keep my mind sharp.
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:20 am:   

"Either way, I really enjoy playing solitaire, and I believe that the mental challenge helps keep my mind sharp."

That's what brings me back to solitaire after a long hiatus. I've had a love-hate relationship with games all my life (see my blog for more on that, at http://livejournal.com.p55carroll). I often just want a playful escape, but it turns out to be a competitive exercise. And then, when I find a game that *is* just a playful escape, I soon get bored and find that I actually *want* more of a mental challenge.

For all the joy of game playing, I think it really does come down to mental exercise. And I've usually been lazy about that. I need to work on slowing down and paying attention.

Oddly, I first realized that when I played my first solitaire games as a kid. Now, decades later, I'm still trying to pull it off. More often than not, I give in to the temptation to just play whatever move I see, instead of thinking ahead.

The computer seems to have become almost an addiction for me, and I don't like addictions of any kind. So, despite the convenience of PGS, I'm limiting my time with it and making myself play solitaire with cards. That forces me to be selective, since I can only memorize the rules to a few games; so I keep sifting through to find the best ones to stick with.

And if I stick to one game, or just a few, I'm more likely to get the hang of it than if I dabble at a wide variety of games.

At the moment, I'm trying to prove to myself that solitaire games are not all trivial. In some games, there's so little choice that I don't see much strategy at all; play is mindless and mechanical. Having played strategy games like chess, checkers, and go, I sometimes find solitaire disappointing.

But then again, I always sucked at chess, checkers, and go. And now I often lose at Freecell, even though it's supposedly almost always winnable. So, I obviously need to stretch my mind more.

Anyhow, I'm starting to enjoy the real-card respite from computer gaming. There's satisfaction in breaking free from virtual reality, if only to play a game.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:23 am:   

Oops--wrong blog address last post. It should be http://p55carroll.livejournal.com.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

From an old-timer ... generally I'll want real playing cards for playing two- (or more-)player competition games, like cribbage, rummy, etc., since the "atmosphere" is different for those.

But for solitaire, I got totally hooked on the computer ages ago, even long before PGS. No accidental "52-card pickup", tableaus etc. laid out in nice neat rows and columns, and no problems with cracked or bent cards because you were too lazy to go out and get a fresh pack. Plus, as already mentioned by others, no problems running out of table space (other than that scrolling thing discussed in another thread).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 3:24 am:   

>The computer seems to have become almost an addiction for me, and I don't like addictions of any kind. So, despite the convenience of PGS, I'm limiting my time with it and making myself play solitaire with cards. That forces me to be selective, since I can only memorize the rules to a few games; so I keep sifting through to find the best ones to stick with.

The ones that I usually play with real cards, are La Belle Lucie (with the 'cheat' as I learned the game, known in PGS as Three Shuffles and a Draw), Scorpion Head (as it was named for PGS), and Klondike. I also play both Pyramid and Aces Up regularly.

>At the moment, I'm trying to prove to myself that solitaire games are not all trivial. In some games, there's so little choice that I don't see much strategy at all; play is mindless and mechanical. Having played strategy games like chess, checkers, and go, I sometimes find solitaire disappointing.

Some types of solitaire are mostly or completely mechanical, and I certainly find these less enjoyable, as well as those that are so difficult that few moves are possible. Many, though, are somewhere in between, with lots of possible moves and a reasonable chance of winning (but not too easy); these are my favorites.

>But then again, I always sucked at chess, checkers, and go. And now I often lose at Freecell, even though it's supposedly almost always winnable. So, I obviously need to stretch my mind more.

Unlike the games previously mentioned, I rarely play FreeCell with real cards. That game is almost perfectly suited to computer play. The ability to undo one or more moves, or to restart and replay the same game, make it fun and challenging, yet forgiving. Making a mistake in a game of FreeCell with real cards is just plain frustrating. :-)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Username: Annika

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 6:11 am:   

I never play solitaire with real cards. I started playing when I was 4 or 5 years old, when my sisters taught me "Clock Solitaire", and over the years learned and played many games, most of which have shown up on PGS.

The great thing about the GoodSol games is the variety, and the ability to "click" and get a new game, not to mention undo, statistics, snapshot, etc. and no wasting time shuffling and dealing.

I play duplicate bridge, mostly at our Bridge Club or at ACBL tournaments, and get plenty of shuffling and dealing. Online bridge is fun, but since other people are involved, I like competing in person better.

Patrick, if you want challenge, strategy and competition, try GoodSol's Action solitaire, and go for top score in the games you like. "Mindless and mechanical" play won't do it, and with timed play,one has really to earn top scores.

It amazes me that people are willing to play one
deal over and over 50+ times to post 100% in PGS.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:03 am:   

Mike says: "From an old-timer ... generally I'll want real playing cards for playing two- (or more) player competition games, like cribbage, rummy, etc., since the "atmosphere" is different for those."

That brings up another point that's interesting to me: In this computer age, why play solitaire at all? Most any two- (or more) player game (e.g., chess, checkers, backgammon, go, rummy, cribbage) can be played by oneself on a computer, and the AI is usually plenty challenging in classic games like these.

In the pre-computer era, you had to play solitaire if you didn't have an opponent. Now it would seem you only have to play solitaire if you don't have a computer. And computers are practically a dime a dozen these days.

So, what's so appealing about solitaire, compared to two-player games?
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Username: Annika

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   

Apples and oranges, Patrick. I love the variety of solitaire, and the fact that I can play a game or 2 at any time. GoodSol just makes a good thing better.

But I love other card games,too, especially Duplicate Bridge, and board games, pencil puzzles, crostics,etc.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:42 am:   

[bump]

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration