CONE. How to win it without cheating. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Other games besides Freecell are always winnable? » Hints about games? » CONE. How to win it without cheating. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   

I had not played "Cone" for 20 months until recently. Until yesterday I had only won it once from about three dozen attempts. Considering it's a 1% rated game, that wasn't bad. In the last two days I've found I can win it almost at will, and believe 50% plus of games are winnable. My strategy has changed since I scrutinised a saved game and noticed some things that surprised me. My conclusions from this are:-

1/. Forget about building on the foundations until virtually the end of the game.
2/. Only add cards to the foundations when they are isolated and cannot be played onto anything else.(A two on top of a six is isolated, whilst a two on top of a three is not).
3/. Always look for opportunities to bring cards back into the tableau from the foundations. This is critical.
4/. Try to build everything in descending runs within the tableau. Don't worry if this means a column contains a run of 20 + cards.
5/. Aces are vital to making successful runs and should be brought back into play at the earliest opportunity.
6/. It is not unusual in a winning game to reach the end of the stock with only one or two of the aces on the foundations.
7/. It is worth noting that when you have eleven cards left in the stock, you can play all of them by clicking on the stock twice. Games (up until now) have always been winnable without resorting to that.

Good luck,
Richard.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:54 am:   

Update on Cone.
I now believe I was over optimistic in suggesting that 50% of games may be winnable. 30% is more realistic, but even then it may take lots of undoing and a lot of effort to win this many.
Richard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration