Big 10 Football Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Go Big 10!!!!! » Big 10 Football « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 7:40 am:   

To Gregg and Thomas:

HOW 'BOUT THEM HAWKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   

>HOW 'BOUT THEM HAWKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hmpf, grumble, grumble)

Actually, although I have not yet seen Iowa play this year, it sure looks like they are a real threat for the conference title this year with a win over Penn State (and a generally weak Big 10). Michigan has not played any serious opponents yet, but have still trailed at halftime in two (of 4) games. As much as I hate to say it, Wisconsin does not look all that strong, either, despite the win over (a self-destructing) MSU.

In a sport that really matters, the MSU women's soccer team is undefeated (7-0-2) and ranked in the Top 20 nationally after beating 11-time straight Big 10 champions Penn State on Sunday (3-2 in overtime). :-)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   

Wait, you mean there are sports OTHER than the upcoming National League playoffs starring Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday, Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright?

I had no idea.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 12:09 am:   

Gregg, I feel sorry for the Wolverines. First, they're playing you guys this Saturday; then next week they're playing the Hawkeyes. Can we safely assume their record will be 4-2?
Good luck!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   

>Wait, you mean there are sports OTHER than the upcoming National League playoffs starring Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday, Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright?

What sport is that? :-) Actually, it looks like the Detroit Tigers are leading their division by a couple games (but I had to look that up). Michiganders are not used to our professional teams actually winning. The Lions are also on a one game winning streak, their best since 2007. :-)

"Meet me in St. Louis" (for the World Series)?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   

>I feel sorry for the Wolverines. First, they're playing you guys this Saturday; then next week they're playing the Hawkeyes. Can we safely assume their record will be 4-2?

I will certainly be pulling for MSU this week (while crossing my fingers) and Iowa next week.

As the bumper stickers around here say: "My favorite two teams are Michigan State University and whoever plays Michigan." :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   

Ken,

>I feel sorry for the Wolverines. First, they're playing you guys this Saturday; then next week they're playing the Hawkeyes. Can we safely assume their record will be 4-2?

OK, we have done our part (26-20, OT), so now it is your [Iowa's] turn. :-) (MSU softened them up for you.)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   

Either that or you fired them up? What a game! I was switching back and forth between that game and Iowa's game.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 12:24 am:   

Albert WHO! Chris WHO? Let's talk Manny and Rafael and Matt and Andre. (if only I could mention some pitching. which we don't have).
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:16 am:   

Who,who,who,who and who? Big fish in a small pond perhaps. Now if we're talking WORLD famous let's applaud Pelé, Cruyff, Maradona, Di Stefano, Puskas, Beckenbauer, Platini, Eusebio, Best, Zidane, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Being Scottish I'd also mention King Kenny Dalgleish and Dennis Law, whilst grudgingly admitting that England have had one or two decent players too.
OH! My apologies lads. I thought you were talking about FOOTBALL. Silly me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:33 am:   

For your education.......(snigger).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPQtFwClmY&NR=1

Two immortal quotes from Bill Shankley should wrap it up for the prosecution:-
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”
"Dennis Law could dance on eggshells".
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 7:27 am:   

Well, one thing I know about Zidane is don't talk about his mother!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 9:55 am:   

Wrong frog. That was Eric Cantana. Surprised you heard of the incident though. You're not just a pretty face. (Typo).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 10:27 am:   

Richard, I beg to differ. Check out this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjWi663kXc
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   

Oh no! Soccer/football hooligans are loose. Who will come out on top?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   

Well done again Ken. I'd forgotten about the Zidane headbutt. It was reputed to be because his opponent had insulted his family.
The Cantona battle was definitely because a guy in the crowd had said something nasty about his mother. This is remarkable footage. I claim a technical knockout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ncNCXurVI

You seem to have perked up Mike. Feeling better? Something good happen? Did the dogs get stolen?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   

When seagulls follow a trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   

Wiser words were never spoken Ken. But I am sure words that made more sense have. :-)
I have been feeling better as a matter of fact. My blood pressure is down to 180 over 120. I am feeling really great. NOT!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:07 am:   

I watched the Cantona youtube video that Richard posted and there was a link to him explaining his actions. That was a direct quote of his explanation. It doesn't make sense to me either!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:33 am:   

Glad you are at least a little more chipper Mike. Why don't you have a look at the Cardrona golf course pictures I posted? They might help to lower your BP. I climbed a damned hill to get them for you. Sweated blood. It's me who should be ill.

There is good news guys. Cantona's words of wisdom made no sense to me either. You've passed the sanity exam. Coversely the man may be a genius and we are the fools. It is however more likely that he's just a fruit-cake.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   

I have looked at the pictures. You did a good job. Thanks for taking them. I enjoyed them. i can't claim to be sane. I never signed the Sanity Clause of my contract. I find soccer/footbal players to be an odd lot. Lots of cheap shots and complaining. "Ouch he slapped my arm". Fall down and cry foul. Good grief. "he kicked me in my shin guard" more whining. Cry babies. Shake it off and keep playing. Put them in the WHINE Cellar. Now you know how I feel about it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3331
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   

Glad you liked the pics. I will have a go at Muirfield next time we're away.
The "injuries" you describe are entirely cynical. Players try to dupe the ref and get another player sent off or get a penalty kick from which to score. There is so much money to be gained that they will try anything to try and improve their chances and get the large winning bonuses.Every year there is a catalogue of serious injuries during games. Broken bones are commonplace and some players can be sidelined for several months. More than one player has been killed during a game.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   

It was definitely not at (or near) a professional level, but I need to weigh in here...

>Good grief. "he kicked me in my shin guard" more whining. Cry babies. Shake it off and keep playing.

Yeah, he did kick me in the shin guard, and it hurt. I tried to walk it off and then kept playing (despite the pain).

>Broken bones are commonplace and some players can be sidelined for several months.

Yup. Broken leg. I have only been out of the boot/cast for a week, and I am told not to expect to be back to "normal" (whatever that is :-)) for another couple of months.

Fortunately, I get paid for sitting at my desk, not playing soccer, so...
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 12:20 am:   

Sorry about the leg Gregg. :-( But you proved my point. Get back in the game. Look at it as a badge of honor. Make sure you add the fact to your story about how you went on to score the winning goal with a broken leg.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3332
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 6:34 am:   

Yeah. Players with broken legs should definitely be forced to play on. They should just put traffic cones around anyone who is unconscious. Dead guys should be left on the pitch for a few days as a warning to others not to be so careless.
The Legal Profession would have a field day in this event, but we wouldn't grudge them that, would we? Them being such nice people and all.
Sorry about the leg Gregg. There is a parody just shouting out at me at this minute......It would be to the tune of Jake The Peg.
Uh oh! Watch this space. Got things to do, so you're off the hook at the moment.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:13 am:   

I'm ashamed to admit that I remember the tune of the chorus of Rolf Harris's "Jake The Peg". Can't remember how the actual verses went, so you've just got three choruses.

There is a bonus though. I'll not forget your name again.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   

:-)Good one Richard. Better write a few more before your next holiday. We will have something to read while you are gone. You are leaving soon right? Ken must have a bicycle injury to write about. I know he didn't get to hurt when I ran him off the road. Now for a list of my Hockey injuries. Coming soon.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   

Funny you should mention that, Mike. A couple years ago on an organized 100K bike ride I was coming into a pit stop, hit a patch of sand, skidded into a sabal palm tree and got a nasty cut right above my eye. (Even had to get a tetanus shot!) The race organizer asked me if I wanted a ride back to the start. I gave him such a withering look that he high-tailed it out of there!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   

When are you out this way again? I will try harder.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 11:31 am:   

I'd have responded sooner but I was away on a course, "Advanced Diplomacy". Passed with honours.
Hockey. That's a girl's game, right?
A nasty cut above the eye eh Ken? And a nasty gash beneath the nose too?

OK.....I lied. I lost my internet connection.
(16th = departure date Mike).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 11:45 am:   

Fantastic! :-)

>I'm ashamed to admit that I remember the tune of the chorus of Rolf Harris's "Jake The Peg".

I actually had to look it up, being unfamiliar with that particular Rolf Harris ditty. It definitely works.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   

Some of those girls are real bruisers. It's a wonder I came out alive. It hurts to get cross checked by a 300lb woman with a mustache. Richard would like that though. The 16th. Is that when the next shuttle to the space station is. Have a good flight.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   

300lb women Mike? Is that back when you used to be a Sumo wrestler? Some dietary advice from my mentor Billy Connolly...."Don't eat anything that come in a bucket".
We do seem to be shuttling between Inverurie and Dirleton very regularly. The only rocket I'm likely to see will be on a salad......someone else's salad. And the only space will be the space reserved for my next pint. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration