Spider advanced high scoreGregg Seelhoff 2-10-10  9:43 pm
Spider Solitaire disappeared from my computerjack newkirk 2-03-09  8:40 pm
Please please please helpRobin Wedding 1-03-08  8:55 pm
RobertAnonymous10-27-03  7:50 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

...!!!...
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 2:01 am:   

i was playing spider solataire and i got in a pickle, i had just removed a row of 13 cards and i had only 5 cards left, so i did not have enough cards to fill every slot to get the next deck delt to me, when i clicked to get the next deck delt it just gave me the usual, "you are not allowed to deal while there are empty slots" message, anyone know if this is a flaw in the game or it was designed that way.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 2:25 am:   

If you play PGS, you have to undo until you have all slots full. If this is the microsoft Spider Solitaire, this isn't the forum for it, but I checked it, you can do the same.
Frank D'Urso (Frank_durso)
Solitaire Player
Username: Frank_durso

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:16 am:   

flaw or part of the game? I've never won so what do I know?
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 1:50 pm:   

It's part of the game. The rules in Spider are that all tableau piles must be filled prior to a deal. A consequence of this rule is that you must have enough cards left over at the end to fill up all the tableau piles prior to the last deal. In other words, don't go hog wild completing too many sets until after the stock is empty.
Yvette Campbell
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 5:55 pm:   

Can every game of spider be won? On my computer for free cell, it says that every game can be won. I was wondering if this is true for Spider as well.

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   

No, not every Spider game can be won, but unwinnable games seem to be rare.

Not every FreeCell game be won either, about 5 of the first 1,000,000 games are unwinnable.

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 10:43 am:   

Spider = 0 for 67......I'm doing SOMETHING wrong....

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   

I'm terrible at regular Spider too, Frank. I hardly ever win.

From what people who win all the time tell me, there are a few things you have to do to win at Spider.

1) Never give up a game. If you don't win, undo back a ways and try something else.

2) Create as many spaces as you can, and don't hurry to fill them up until you need to.

3) Don't put Kings in empty spaces, that space will then be lost to you until you can build an entire set there.

Rachel Cohen (Rachel)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   

I always win PGMJ long Spider, and lose often the PGS Spider. I play the simple tiles, so I pay attention to the game and not the shapes.

But what's the purpose of playing? to have fun, and it depends what gives you fun. In the past (before I had internet and PGS) I played until the first deal, and dropped the game if the cards were arranged from the beginning so that I got I low score before the first deal. The remaining games had enough challenge, but since there were no statistics I could just ignore the dropped games.

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 4:32 pm:   

>I always win PGMJ long Spider, and lose often the PGS Spider.

MahJongg Spider in PGMJ has only 3 suits, so it is essentially Spider Three Suits (or Chinese Spider in PGS). The 3 suits vs. 4 suits makes it easier to win. I can win MahJongg Spider most of the time.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   

>I can win MahJongg Spider most of the time.

I have played hundreds of games (237 in my current statistics) of MahJongg Spider and have never yet had a deal which could not be won, and only rarely do I even have to restart.

Although the two games are different, one method works to make all Spider games easier (in PGS or PGMJ, anyway): Whenever you have a choice between two or more moves, especially moving cards/tiles into a space, try each move and then 'undo' it, then choose the one that gives the best outcome. (As I recall from being a beta tester on the Microsoft version, their help file suggests exactly this strategy. :-))

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 11:34 am:   

thanks for the Spider advice, I've improved....a little more practice and I think I can get there....
and yes the FUN is in the playing, otehrwise I wouldn't have all these 0 percent games : )

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 11:38 am:   

thanks for the Spider advice, I've improved....a little more practice and I think I can get there....
and yes the FUN is in the playing, otehrwise I wouldn't have all these 0 percent games : )
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 8:23 am:   

Spider came installed on my Win2000ME..love it and play it all the time BUT sometimes it deals SLOWLY (ugh) and at other times it goes really fast(like if AOL Companion is engaged)...want it to deal FAST..HELP?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 8:43 am:   

>Spider came installed on my Win2000ME..love it and play it all the time BUT sometimes it deals SLOWLY (ugh) and at other times it goes really fast(like if AOL Companion is engaged)...want it to deal FAST..HELP?

The Spider that comes with Microsoft products is known to have some problems like this. However, this forum is for support of Pretty Good Solitaire, and nobody here is likely to be able to help you with your problem (since that software is written by somebody else).

Of course, the correct solution is to go to http://www.goodsol.com and purchase a copy of Pretty Good Solitaire, which will give you a working version of Spider and more than 500 other games to boot. :-)
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:17 am:   

>MahJongg Spider in PGMJ has only 3 suits, so it is essentially Spider Three Suits (or Chinese Spider in PGS). The 3 suits vs. 4 suits makes it easier to win. I can win MahJongg Spider most of the time.

At last I found why PGMJ Long Spider is so much easier than the PGS Chinese Spider. MJ has 144 tiles, S has 156 cards. But the biggest difference is, that in S you have to make a suit of all 13 cards, and in MJ you have a suit of nine cards, and the Winds Flowers and Dragons go with any suit.

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

Yes, that's true Rachel. There are differences in the numbers of cards/tiles between PGS Chinese Spider and PGMJ MahJongg Spider, so they aren't exactly the same game.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 9:52 pm:   

My Boss has Spider Solartaire on his computer and I would like to play it at home, but I can't find the type that he plays at work. It came either with his Dell computer or with Windows NT. Can you help me.

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   

chinese spider = 0 - 2.....: )
becky david (Becky)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Becky

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   

SPIDER TIP OF THE DAY.....you can put kings in spaces if an awkward king is dealt in that space subsequently. concentrate on retaining spaces by strategically placing cards prior to a deal.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 8:14 pm:   

Can you tell me what is the lowest score that you can get in spider solitare playing one deck. The least amount of moves that can be made...

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 9:58 am:   

It would take some mathematical analysis to figure out the fewest number of moves to winning that could be done in Spider. I doubt it's ever been done, and it may not even be possible to calculate.
seelhoff
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:41 am:   

>Can you tell me what is the lowest score that you can get in spider solitare playing one deck. The least amount of moves that can be made...

The lowest move count would be fewer than 101 moves, and one could probably construct a deal which demonstrates this. The chances of actually winning a game of Spider in Pretty Good Solitaire in fewer moves is almost impossibly low, however.

The base calculation is actually fairly simple: Normally, each card lower than a king, of which there are 96, needs to be moved at least once, and there are five extra moves needed to get all of the cards from the stock. This gives a total of 101 moves.

However, each of the moves from the stock could produce a sequence in one or more columns, so the above number could be reduced by as many as 10 moves each, if the cards line up perfectly. That would give a theoretical lowest limit of 51 moves, and it could be a challenge to create a deal by hand that would work (although I believe that it is definitely possible).

I hope that this answers your question (and does not contain any calculation errors :-)).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 1:00 pm:   

That was strange. The last message is from me, and I really am registered. :-)

Anyway, as an intellectual challenge, I actually constructed (stacked) a deck for Spider that produces a game that can be solved in only 51 moves. Not only that, but every move is obvious and no legal move is left unmade. (In other words, it plays perfectly naturally.)

Without further ado...

Starting at the top of the deck (comprised of 2 packs, 104 cards):

(tableau)
KS KH 9H 5H KD 9D 5D KC 9C 5C
KC JC 8C 4D 5C QS 2D 9S 6S 3C
KD QD TD 9D 8D 7D 6D 9S 8S 7S
JD QH 9H 6H 3H KS QS 6S 5S 4S
KH TH 7H 4H AH JS TS 3S 2S AS
JH 8H 5H 2H

(stock)
5D TC 7C 3D 4C JS AD 8S 5S 2C
QC 9C 6C 4H AC TS 4D 7S 4S 4C
3S QH 8H 3H QD 8D 3D QC 8C 3C
2S JH 7H 2H JC 7D 2D JC 7C 2C
AS TH 6H AH TD 6D AD TC 6C AC

If one starts with this deck, the game can and will be solved in only 51 moves. Enjoy!
stupid
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 1:33 am:   

I'm not a registered user, but my BEST score is 87. Still trying to beat it, but yes, the cards must line up! Why am I still trying?
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 5:55 am:   

Gregg, how do you prove that 51 moves is optimal?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 7:04 am:   

>Gregg, how do you prove that 51 moves is optimal?

As explained above... :-)

To make a sequence, every card below the King needs to be either moved or dealt into position. With 8 suits and 12 cards each (not counting Kings), that is 96 cards. There are 5 deals (hence 5 more moves) to each of 10 tableau piles, leaving the possibility of 50 cards dealt perfectly into position. Therefore, 46 (96 minus 50) cards must be moved at least once.

So, 5 deals (accounting for 50 cards) plus 46 required moves gives us an optimal move count of only 51 moves. The stacked deck I presented earlier proves that the theoretical minimum is possible (if incredibly unlikely) to really achieve.
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   

Gregg, that would mean that in Microsoft, the maximum score possible would be 1254. It starts out as 500, and deals don't count as moves.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:22 am:   

>Gregg, that would mean that in Microsoft, the maximum score possible would be 1254. It starts out as 500, and deals don't count as moves.

I am afraid that I do not know anything about the scoring in Microsoft's version of Spider, so I can neither confirm nor deny. :-)
mark william todd (Mwtodd)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Mwtodd

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   

hi; from becky and todd of norwich; its 2300 in the uk; a spider flaw thet you will be completly unaware of; we play the game almost every day and on saturdays we, to our disappointment still do not receive breakfast in bed; how is this so.

I apologise not for our english sence of humour; all you guys, keep up the good work;
Miriam Frankort (Miriam)
Solitaire Player
Username: Miriam

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 2:57 am:   

Hi Becky,
If you can teach me how to win every game of spider, I'll bring you a breakfast one morning myself. My own score is 91,2% so I have got a lot catching up to do. Do you play your games at random, or do you play in sequence?
jimmsy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 2:17 pm:   

what is the highest score in spider solitaire??

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   

hi Miriam Frankort
we just press new game after each win; usually it takes 15 minutes to win the next game(on average), but sometimes its two days; when we first played we created a speadsheet to allow us to log every closed card (face down); then we realised that to win every game you must see every card;

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 4:43 pm:   

PS;to all new spider players and those of old we have found only one game not winnable;
All the best to all pgs players and tw and crew;

Thankyou, todd & becky, norwich, uk
Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   

That is wonderful to hear; sobs and general misery.I've never won one yet! I wouldn't mind at all if one of you would give me some hints relating to your basic strategy with Spider. I think that it has wrapped me in silk, ready to devour. Bye. Audrey
Sandie MacGregor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   

I'm new to Spider Solitaire (Microsoft)played the card game as a kid. Been playing for about 10 days now (may be addicted) and my lowest score is 1200 with 100 moves hit yesterday. The day before 1198 with 102 moves. Still trying to figure out what the absolute best score is!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 4:52 pm:   

>Still trying to figure out what the absolute best score is!!

According to a post earlier in this thread, the maximum possible score in the Microsoft version of Spider is likely 1254. Based on my recent reading of the scoring rules, I believe this number is correct (although it would definitely require incredible luck to achieve).
Sandie MacGregor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:05 pm:   

Thanks Gregg for your reply. It is the 'luck of the draw' first - then what you do with the cards second. That's my take on Spider. Still quite new at it and trying not to become addicted !!
usher2000
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 1:40 pm:   

my lowest moves on microsoft spider solitaire is 82 moves i have done this a few times in the past but cant seem to beat 91 moves now what is the lowest moves possible
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 7:52 pm:   

>my lowest moves on microsoft spider solitaire is 82 moves i have done this a few times in the past but cant seem to beat 91 moves now what is the lowest moves possible

As posted earlier in this thread, the lowest number of moves in Spider is 51 (or 46 if dealing is not counted).
Michael
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   

I was wondering if anyone knows how many moves a Spider Solitare game can me won in (Windows XP Microsoft Edition). I've done it in 87 moves on 1 suit. Can it be done in any better? How do I find this out
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 9:09 pm:   

>I was wondering if anyone knows how many moves a Spider Solitare game can me won in (Windows XP Microsoft Edition). I've done it in 87 moves on 1 suit. Can it be done in any better?

Yes, we know how many. Yes, it can be done better.

>How do I find this out

Read the earlier messages under this topic. :-)
Laura
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   

What is the least amount of moves you can make in order to finish the game. My sister is telling me she finished Spider Solitare in 93 moves. I wasn't sure if that was possible. Does anyone know?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:00 am:   

>What is the least amount of moves you can make in order to finish the game.

The answer is 51 (or 46 if dealing is not counted).

>Does anyone know?

Yes, everyone who has read this thread knows. :-)
Kimberly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 2:14 am:   

>Can you tell me what is the lowest score that you can get in spider solitare playing one deck. The least amount of moves that can be made...

I play the microsoft version of spider solitare and I have won the game with 100 moves, and a total score of 1200. I haven't been able to beat that yet.
Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 1:25 am:   

My lowest has been 96 moves/1204 score. Getting an 82 would really take a lot of concentration to analyze the best moves as cards stack up. Congradulations to anyone that breaks 100, as that also took many games for me to beat.
Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 1:31 am:   

My lowest has been 96 moves/1204 score. Getting an 82 would really take a lot of concentration to analyze the best moves as cards stack up. Congradulations to anyone that breaks 100, as that also took many games for me to beat.

Reading over the thread, someone gave a theoretical maximum of 51/1254. Based on my score of 96/1204, and assuming 51 is correct, gives a maximum score of 1249.

96 - 51= 45 Add 45+1204= 1249
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 1:35 am:   

>Reading over the thread, someone gave a theoretical maximum of 51/1254. Based on my score of 96/1204, and assuming 51 is correct, gives a maximum score of 1249.

The five point discrepency is directly attributable to the five deals from stock that must be done in every game of Spider. It was reported (but I cannot confirm) that the Microsoft version does not count these as moves.

What I can confirm is that Action Solitaire (http://www.actionsol.com) gives an interesting challenge in Spider and many other games, and one can directly compare results with others throughout the game. :-)
b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   

does anyone have any tips for beating the hardest version of spider solitare, with four suits?

we've been trying to beat it forever

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   

the only advice I would give is; To win A game of Spider, you must uncover/see every card;
todd&becky norwich UK
Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   

After nearly 250 games played I accumulated these statistics, before removing all the solitaire games from my computer, so I could break my addiction:

Wins: 230
Losses: 16
Win Rate: 93%
Most Wins: 10
Most Losses: 2
Highest Score: 1204/96 moves
Average Score: 108

I would usually play 1 to 3 games at a sitting a few times a day. It seemed to be harder than "FreeCell", only because I had a 95% win rate on FreeCell vs. the 93% win rate w/ Spider.

I had to use the "undo" on several games that would have ended up in a loss, allowing me to make different choices that worked out. It raised the moves on those games to the 125-135 level, but at least it got counted as a win.

These were all on the "easy" setting, as I only played the "medium" and "difficult" settings a couple of times, and never won any of those.

For those doing it in less than 96 moves, all I can say is it is probably less than a 1% chance, so luck plays the biggest role. Some games are impossible to beat, especially if Kings come out near the end and eliminate your choices of moves. Not getting any of a certain card can also create a nearly impossible scenario.

Challenging and addictive.
Jeff
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 7:17 pm:   

What is the lowest number of uncovered cards that can remain and still get stuck (without undoing)? From experience I could often get stuck with 13 cards left, but then I had one deal where there were no more moves with 11 cards left. Wondering if the deck could be stacked to produce a lower number?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

>What is the lowest number of uncovered cards that can remain and still get stuck (without undoing)? From experience I could often get stuck with 13 cards left, but then I had one deal where there were no more moves with 11 cards left. Wondering if the deck could be stacked to produce a lower number?

The answer to your question (with your assumptions) is 13. :-)

It is not legally possible to have any fewer cards without winning the game. In fact, there is no legal situation that can occur (even with cards left in the stock) where only 11 cards are left in the tableau. With poor choices of background and card back, though, it can sometimes be hard to see that cards are face down, so that may explain the miscount.

The reason that there can never be fewer than 13 cards without winning is simply that one starts with 104 cards (an even multiple of 13) and removes cards 13 at a time, so there is always an even multiple of 13 cards left. To have fewer than 13, one has to have none, which is a victory. :-)

However...

One cannot get stuck with only 13 cards left, as a victory is still assured. With ten tableau piles, at least 10 cards have to be visible, and they must be in the same suit. There is no possible way (I can see) that no move is possible from that situation, and each move either exposes another card or a space (which guarantees another move).
babarnhorst
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   

While 1249 or 1254 is theoretically possible on Microsoft's version of Spider, the more salient question is, What is the best score anyone has actually achieved? I have only bettered 1200 a few times (average win is about 1205). I got 1213 the other day, which required a lot of cards falling into place for me.
work-a-bit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

On MS Spider Solitaire, each game should have a theoretical maximum score (min moves)...
My Question: Has anyone "hacked" the game to
determine: If each game is uniquely ID'd ; Is the
random card memory for a game "readable" (so you could capture and simulate for best score) ; Can
you play a specific game????

Just curious (and competitive) on each game...not
how lucky of a draw one hand is over another...

You can e-mail if you have info
thanks,
work-a-bit
Jimmeh
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 200.104.49.126
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 11:13 am:   

On the hard version of the game, I got stuck with 3 uncovered cards left. This was a "record" (a dubious one) for me.3 uncovered

(Message approved by admin)
thedead50s
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.82.89.35
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 9:50 am:   

What is the lowest possible score for 2 decks. Mine is 98 but it took months of playing to get it..Thanks!

R.J.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.154.205.203
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:17 am:   

I just want the opinion of all you Spider Solitaire "experts" to end this argument me and my roommate have been having. He says that his friend's father has never lost a spider solitaire game and that his record is somewhere around 850 in a row. Now I can understand this on the easy and possibly the medium difficulty, but he says it was on the hard difficulty with four suits. This seems like an incredible long shot. I haven't been playing the game for too long but I am very good at breaking patterns with cards(i.e. Freecell) and I'm an extremely logical person. I have read that in theory 1 in 3 games are winnable and such, and I was just wanting verification that there is NO WAY that his friend's father could have that record. Even if you are the BEST spider solitaire player, it doesn't seem likely to me that this is possible unless you are the luckiest guy alive b/c of king blocks and bad starts and such. Please reply with your opinions and comments, thank you.

R.J.

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   

It's possible. At the 1 suit and 2 suit levels, it's not even difficult. At the 4 suit level, such a record is difficult but not impossible. There are unwinnable Spider games (there are other threads on this forum which describe how they can happen), but they are not that common. It isn't known how common they are, but you can easily play hundreds or even thousands of games without coming across one.
Molly
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.107.17.151
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 7:12 am:   

I win every time so I woulden't know. But the only reason that I win, is I play 1 suit.

J Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 151.199.48.220
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   

Does the version of Spider Solitaire that comes with MS Windows really deal the cards randomly? It seems to me that cards with the same value seem to come in waves, so that there will be a bunch of fives dealt (or turned over), and then a bunch of tens, etc. The cards don't seem randomly distributed. Anyone know?

The Wolf
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.122.176.104
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 3:10 am:   

My highest score in my spider solitaire career has been 1212.

Case
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.174.53.43
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

@ R.J.
Not if he's playing windows' version of spider on 4 suits. I've had games where i was dealt and could only even move 1 card total in the entire game and then lost. I win the 1card version at a 95% rate playing purely for high scores (which requires doing things that make it harder to win 100% like never making an empty stack) but only win 4card at around 20-25%, like a lot of places will tell you is the average.

NJL
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.8.48.1
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   

What do you folks mean by "score" on Spider Solataire? We play the Microsoft game and the middle version (2 suites) and we either win or lose---thats all, no score, unless you are counting the "moves." And one would want the lowest moves, but we pay it no mind. I hardly ever win, but my husband wins often. He is more patient than I!

Don Grey
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.69
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   

I play Spider Soltaire from Microsoft on Home XP alot. I dont think I've ever ran across a game I could not win. I have metally kept track of my lowest number of moves and it is 95 with one suit. Most games I can win within about 8 minutes or less, easily. I guess I'm pretty logical! Its fun to see how quickly I can win a game

paula
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.191.246.50
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   

WHAT IS THE NORMAL? is there such a thing? i play a lot of spider and free cell. sometimes i undo a move in spider but try not to 'cheat'. my win rate for spider ranges between 28-31%. my high score is 1194...normally i range about 1175. i play too much, why else would i even be here? thanks! paula

spideraddict
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.243.172.114
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:13 am:   

I'm glad I finally found a forum where other Spider fanatics discuss this stuff! I was going crazy trying to figure out the lowest possible number of moves and the highest possible score in a theoretical perfect game of Windows 2 suit Spider, which I had also calculated to be 46 moves and score of 1254. I'm surprised at some of the high scores reported here, especially babarnhorst's 1213 and The Wolf's 1212, since I've played over a thousand games and my high score is only 1187. I usually just play to win, which sometimes means backtracking and losing points in the process. Guess I'll have to try winning in the least possible number of moves and see if my scores improve. Thaks for all good info!

Tony_Cluedo
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.39.108.119
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

I have a 20% win rate after 823 games. I have never once used the undo function as I had always considered this to be a cheat. I suppose it's just a different way of looking at it but I've always concentrated on the win rate rather than the score for any one game. I've played a lot more than 823 games but changed my computer a few months back. Probably played about 4000 to 5000 games. My average has always hovered around 19% to 21%. One thing I've found very strange is that the level of difficulty seems to change throughout spells. It's usually when my percentage is getting towards 22% (ie. I'm doing well and getting a lot of wins) that I suddenly get about 20 or 30 virtually un-winnable games (remember I don't use the undo function) that brings my percentage back down to 19%ish. At first, I just thought that this was coincidence but I swear, it happens again and again and again. There is definitely something written into the program that makes it throw out more difficult games if either the win rate gets high or if there have been a lot of recent wins. I'm convinced it's not totally random.

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:47 am:   

Tony,

It's just coincidence. The random number generator does not know what your win rate is, it generates the same position given the seed number regardless of how well you are doing. Really, it isn't out to get you :-).
Christopher John (Cjcj1949)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Cjcj1949

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   

I do use undo, but I've had a similar feeling. I remember getting lots of unwinnable games and then suddenly a streak of about 50 winnable. I then asked how many were winnable and was told nearly all. I went back and solved all the games with enough attempts. I'm sure that if you replayed some of your losses you'd find that you'd win. Random moves at the beginning have a cascade effect that make the difference between win and lose.
There is hubris though and though there may be nothing in it, it does seems to strike just as things are getting better.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:13 am:   

A vindictive machine! Is Isaac Asimov the pen name of Thomas Warfield? Surely not. Christopher is spot on. Replay your losers. Deciding on the best opening moves in your games can make all the difference between winning and losing.
Suzanne Henry (Enola57)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Enola57

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:47 am:   

What is a "good" average for four-suit solitaire?
Mine is currently 8.2% and I'm wondering if this is average, good or whatever.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   

>What is a "good" average for four-suit solitaire?

Assuming that you mean Spider solitaire, a good winning percentage is close to 100%. It can be proven that not all deals are winnable, but most of them are.

The statistics for Pretty Good Solitaire (of players with more than 50 games played) are here:
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/spi der.html

The more reliable climb mode statistics from Goodsol Solitaire 101 are here:
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/spi der_climb.html

Of course, as of this writing, I am the only one listed (albeit at 100%), so take that for it is worth. :-)
Cherie Barton (Cmbms00)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Cmbms00

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:54 am:   

Even though I'm new here, I've read all the post about scores, I've researched sites and I'm not understanding the bottom line. My computer list my high score as 1245, which I thought was too high. My last game was 1154. So should I be going up on points? Or down?
Thanks,
C'
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   

Cherie. I am sorry you have not received an answer to your question yet. I do not have the answer. But normally every game you play whether you win or not should add to your total. Hopefully you will get a more complete answer from someone else. Keep checking back. And welcome to the forum.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration