Goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire

Corona .... (Not the virus)

Comments

• edited November 2020

Having failed umpteen times I decided to go way off piste for a change. Far from obvious route but successful none the less Very tricky game. Your score was exceptional.

Since the recent update you can worry back from the foundations into the tableau btw.

• Nice to know it wasn't just me! THANKS!

• FINALLY got done with the 600's! Larry, can you post the losers for the 700's?

THANKS!

• I copied this from an email from Larry, Ken. It will probably suffice meantime.

705 42W28

707 54W15

717 27W37

718 57W21

727 47W27

744 48W28

745 38W32

748 40W31

750 42W34

• Filling out the rest:

751 47W29

752 51W27

755 38W31

758 24W39

784 46W11

#785 starts a win streak of 44 to #828.

• Thanks you guys!

• edited November 2020

Does anybody have a partial for 712? I can get it to 61. I can't seem to get the 2C into play or should I be concentrating my efforts elsewhere?

• edited November 2020

I'd no partials Ken. Probably one of Larry's group. I found it difficult. Games where cards of the same suit are in the tableau built up rather than down, present problems that can be difficult to resolve. A couple in this deal proved my undoing for quite some time. Your 2C was under one of those.

Incidentally, Larry and I decided not to accept worrying back from the foundations into the tableau, but there is no reason why you shouldn't do so if you wish. Of course we would just mock you .... relentlessly ..... for quite some time afterwards. Only joking. It's a game. Enjoy it any way you choose. You'd be playing within the rules.

• Thanks, Richard, your 1st partial worked like a charm!

• Richard, do you have a partial for 816?

• Yes Ken, much to my amazement, I do. 😊

• Worked like a charm. THANKS!!!

• Are you still playing Corona Ken? You got Larry and myself hooked on it. We are currently playing the 1300's. We need our heads examined. 😊

• Yep, still am. I'm up to 848.

• It's a good game. Larry and I have tried a few other games but haven't found one that we prefer.

• I was thinking of stopping at 1000 and finding another game. But you're right; I do like this game. Just the right degree of difficulty.

• If you find another game of equal calibre Ken, please let us know. 😊 Larry and I tried lots of alternative ones and eventually reached the conclusion that we we just trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Well, we thought the same thing about another card game back in the day and now I can't even remember what it was. (Was it Triple Interchange?)

• edited January 2021

Exactly that Ken. We played it endlessly. I recall that we rejected loads of deals because they didn't look nasty enough.

The Tom Jones intro reminded me of a witticism I heard recently in a sit com. A member of the cast who was very misery was described as being tighter than Tom Jones's underpants. 😃

• Richard, how about 877?

• edited February 2021

Another one from one of Larry's group Ken. Attaching a partial. You'll see that I made an early decision regarding not covering the 9S in the first column. Looks likely to be very effective. Will post a full solution after I finish it.

Sorry Ken. That was a bum steer. I found afterwards that getting a JC or a 5D into the tableau had top priority. I took the first JC that presented itself.

• (From Still Game).

• Richard, how about 889? I can get it to 58/18

• Sorry Ken. Only just seen your request. Been busy in the garden giving 3 and 4 coats of paint to the sections of a new shed that has still to be assembled.. Huge amount of incidental work. Won't bore you.

Another of a group that Larry played, hence no solution available from me. Will play it now and see what I can do.

• Some tricky obstacles to overcome there Ken, at least the way I played it. Larry may have found a superior route. Anyway, job done.

Btw, I found a vastly superior version of the Wizard of Oz. It's the original black and white silent-movie version. 😆

• edited February 2021

Question: I went through your solution and part of your strategy was to play cards from the foundations back onto the tableau but I'm not able to do that. What am I missing here?

• Oh dear. I remember when we only had one Corona, but it has evolved. This time it's not Mike's fault, it's Larry's. He noticed that you could play a card from the tableau into the empty waste pile. It was a legal move and we both thought that it was great. Then we have to pass the blame onto Thomas because his update made it illegal to play a tableau card into the empty waste pile. We had played hundreds of Coronas before, completely by accident, I discovered that I could worry back from the foundations onto existing tableau cards. I emailed Larry about it and he agreed that he'd not spotted that either. As if things were no complicated enough, Larry has a second computer that runs the older version where he can play tableau cards into the empty waste pile. His other computer runs the same new version as I have. He can use all of the tools. Occasionally I hit one where playing a tableau card into the empty waste pile would make a game winnable, I tell him what card I'd like put in there and he sands me a partial that my computer accepts. You know Larry, now he records each winner with tabs telling us how it was won.

Lets hope Larry has a saved game for you Ken. Meantime it would help if we knew which version of Corona we are both running. You could try downloading the new version, 20.1.0 November 2020. I'm about to replay your game and see if I can win it without worrying back.

• edited February 2021

I'm pretty sure I didn't use worry back this time Ken, but I'm too tired to concentrate half the time. Please advise, and also check your PGS version. 😊